BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
    Battle-Brother

It's great to build your army in, but I really don't like the format of the finished lists. In fact where I'm from AB-lists are banned at tournaments, because of all the useless information.

Brother-Sergeant

Thanks for all the responses folks!

I was expecting the odd "yeah" or "nah" but there's some really useful info - I didn't know there was a trial version so I'll get onto that.

As for piracy and all the C&D business unfortunately (for my wallet) I can't bring myself to do non-official downloads etc so I'll stick with the mini trial to get the gist and then go full price from there I reckon. And no fear regarding codex replacement, that definitely won't be happening - who wants the cold brightness of computer monitor when you can fall asleep reading the freshly printed pages of good old paper books! I think I'll use it really for getting a list together in less than 3hrs and not having to waste half a pad with crossing out, or as someone above pointed out being able to figure out simple replacement switches without needing to break out the abacus!

Cheers all

Quote Originally Posted by imp View Post
    It's great to build your army in, but I really don't like the format of the finished lists. In fact where I'm from AB-lists are banned at tournaments, because of all the useless information.
    What? what useless information? everything on that roster is pretty important and very handy to have on hand.

And anyway, you can tweak the output roster in a bajillion ways.

Veteran-Sergeant

Could not live without it!!!!
    SATAN in our lives is noted, all his vices often quoted and though he serves a spendid feast, at the table's head still sits the BEAST!!!!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by erwos View Post
    The cracked 2.X version isn't going to do anything for you, it's long unsupported.
    Wrong.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by N.I.B. View Post
    Wrong.
    I have no idea what you mean. AB40k is only maintained for 3.X. Cracked or not, AB2.X isn't all that useful anymore. Incidentally, this is one of the big criticisms leveled against the devs - they basically didn't release any new releases of AB for a year so as to force people to re-up their subscriptions.

Army Builder as a program is solid, but the data files for 40k et. al are not produced by Wolflair and are often flakey and just plain wrong and poorly checked, which can be embarassing if you ever get called out on it for a tournament. The last update fixed IG veteran heavy weapons by breaking all heavy weapon teams.

Abbess Sanctorum

The data-files from [url]http://www.ab40k.org/[/url] are hardly "often flaky".

You just have to keep up to date.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Quote Originally Posted by Melissia View Post
    The data-files from [url]http://www.ab40k.org/[/url] are hardly "often flaky".

You just have to keep up to date.
    Load the imperial guard rules. Make an infantry platoon. Try and give that squad a heavy weapon.

Heavy weapons have been broken for as long as I've owned the program and the latest version, 1.9a, traded one flaw for another (Previously, infantry squads were fine, but veterans could only have mortars)

So I stand by my statement.

Abbess Sanctorum

Yes, and? Those are being patched. There is no such thing as a complex program which has no problems.

But Army Builder is still typically more accurate than people attempting to write their own lists.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast