BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Default Agressive IG help

Hey all. So I'm prepping for a large 40k GT in Nov and felt like bringing a new army but since I don't quite have the cash to pay for the trip and build a new army I'm thinking of just making a big change with my IG army. I've been playing lots of FB with Beastmen and have really gotten a taste for aggressive in your face tactics and was wondering whats a good way to do this with IG? Its a comp heavy event so this might work out nice for me too because it may be a bit out of the ordinary.

So what do you all recommend taking for this kind of build? I have a pretty huge IG army from over the years so I'm flexible on what units I can take. I'm thinking things like hellhounds, Ogyrn, commissars, priests could be cool. I like the idea of straken but I'm worried about my comp score on that one.

Also its a Vostroyan army and I like to run them as vets but can also do platoons too.

Any ideas are welcome!

Thanks!
    letsagetabitarockin!

Chapter-Master

Hordes of penal legion. Give them guantanamo style orange jumpsuits.

Guard don't really do combat...

But lots of chimeras delivering hordes of infantry up to the front lines are a bit in your face...Hellhounds to bathe them in promethium first
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Battle-Brother

I would suggest running some flyers, either Valks or Vend. They pretty much have to get up into the enemies lines and drop units right in their face. Also, I agree with Penal Legion. They have scout so you can outflank right into an enemy. I have been using them recently and have had good results. (Just beware of bike! :P )

Other then that, Demolisher and Punisher are a great way to bring some close range pain!
    Check out my Imperial Guard painting blog! http://imperialupliftingprimer.blogspot.com/

Air cav is fun, fun, FUN!!!! Definitely grab some Valks!! As far as other aggressive stuff...blob squad with Straken, commissar and priest. Furious Charge, Fearless, re-rolls to hit...
    The Krandor 116th Airborne: Flying Arctic Rednecks..IN SPACE!!!
    http://paradoxgaming.intodit.com- Proud seller of time-space disruptions since 2010

Yeah I'm totally liking this idea. I don't think I'll go air cav because I'm going to be one of a bajillion IG armies there as it is so I may make it a point to leave the planes home. Punisher and Demolisher are my 2 favorite variants too and think they will fit in nicely with the hellhounds and chimera vet squads.

Now would you suggest carapace armor? I don't generally take it but it fits my dudes fluff and it does tend to see them stick around longer in CC.
    letsagetabitarockin!

If you liked the Straken based Guard concept, then the troop spam list is pretty fun, and hard to deal with. Two platoons with 20+ S4 I4 power weapon attacks on the charge. Put Straken in the middle and multi-assault everything in your way. PCS's with melta in Vendettas clear up the heavy tanks.

[code]1750 Pts - 5th Edition Roster

HQ: Company Command Squad (7#, 240 pts)
    . . 4 Company Command Squad @ 240 pts (Unit Type: Infantry; Frag Grenades; Close Combat Weapon x4; Lasgun x1; Carapace Armour; Medi-pack; Flamer x3; Colonel 'Iron Hand' Straken; Bodyguard; Bodyguard)
    . . . . 1 Colonel 'Iron Hand' Straken (Flak Armour; Frag Grenades; Refractor Field; Close Combat Weapon; Plasma Pistol; Shotgun; Cold Steel and Courage; Gung-ho; Man of Adamantium; Senior Officer)
    . . . . 1 Bodyguard (Frag Grenades; Close Combat Weapon; Laspistol; Carapace Armour; Look out - Arghh!)
    . . . . 1 Bodyguard (Frag Grenades; Close Combat Weapon; Laspistol; Carapace Armour; Look out - Arghh!)

Troops: Infantry Platoon (56#, 500 pts)
    . . 1 Infantry Platoon @ 500 pts
    . . . . 4 Platoon Command Squad (Unit Type: Infantry; Flak Armour; Frag Grenades; Close Combat Weapon x4; Krak Grenades; Meltagun x4)
    . . . . . . 1 Platoon Commander (Flak Armour; Frag Grenades; Laspistol; Close Combat Weapon; Krak Grenades; Melta Bombs; Junior Officer)
    . . . . 9 Infantry Squad (Frag Grenades; Close Combat Weapon x9; Flak Armour; Lasgun x8; Krak Grenades; Grenade Launcher x1; Commissar; Combined Squad)
    . . . . . . 1 Commissar (Flak Armour; Frag Grenades; Close Combat Weapon; Krak Grenades; Power Weapon; Summary Execution; Stubborn)
    . . . . . . 1 Sergeant (Flak Armour; Frag Grenades; Close Combat Weapon; Krak Grenades; Power Weapon)
    . . . . 9 Infantry Squad (Frag Grenades; Close Combat Weapon x9; Flak Armour; Lasgun x8; Krak Grenades; Grenade Launcher x1; Combined Squad)
    . . . . . . 1 Sergeant (Flak Armour; Frag Grenades; Close Combat Weapon; Krak Grenades; Power Weapon)
    . . . . 9 Infantry Squad (Frag Grenades; Close Combat Weapon x9; Flak Armour; Lasgun x8; Krak Grenades; Grenade Launcher x1; Combined Squad)

Troops: Infantry Platoon (56#, 500 pts)
    . . 1 Infantry Platoon @ 500 pts
    . . . . 4 Platoon Command Squad (Unit Type: Infantry; Flak Armour; Frag Grenades; Close Combat Weapon x4; Krak Grenades; Meltagun x4)
    . . . . . . 1 Platoon Commander (Flak Armour; Frag Grenades; Laspistol; Close Combat Weapon; Krak Grenades; Melta Bombs; Junior Officer)
    . . . . 9 Infantry Squad (Frag Grenades; Close Combat Weapon x9; Flak Armour; Lasgun x8; Krak Grenades; Grenade Launcher x1; Commissar; Combined Squad)
    . . . . . . 1 Commissar (Flak Armour; Frag Grenades; Close Combat Weapon; Krak Grenades; Power Weapon; Summary Execution; Stubborn)

: Ministorum Priest (1#, 45 pts)
    . . 1 Ministorum Priest @ 45 pts (Unit Type: Infantry; Flak Armour; Laspistol; Close Combat Weapon; Frag Grenades; Rosarius; Independent Character; Righteous Fury)

: Ministorum Priest (1#, 45 pts)
    . . 1 Ministorum Priest @ 45 pts (Unit Type: Infantry; Flak Armour; Laspistol; Close Combat Weapon; Frag Grenades; Rosarius; Independent Character; Righteous Fury)

Heavy Support: Manticore Rocket Launcher (1#, 160 pts)
    . . 1 Manticore Rocket Launcher @ 160 pts (Unit Type: Vehicle (Tank); Storm Eagle Rockets; Heavy Bolter; Searchlight; Smoke Launchers; Limited Ammunition)

Fast Attack: Vendetta Gunship Squadron (1#, 130 pts)
    . . 1 Vendetta Gunship Squadron @ 130 pts (Deep Strike; Grav Chute Insertion; Scouts)
    . . . . 1 Vendetta (Extra Armor; Searchlight; Twin-linked Lascannon x3)

Fast Attack: Vendetta Gunship Squadron (1#, 130 pts)
    . . 1 Vendetta Gunship Squadron @ 130 pts (Deep Strike; Grav Chute Insertion; Scouts)
    . . . . 1 Vendetta (Extra Armor; Searchlight; Twin-linked Lascannon x3)

Total Roster Cost: 1750[/code]

That is a mean looking list for sure. My problem is tho that its a comp heavy event and spamming get you kicked in the stones. Trying to find an effective way to do this. I'm considering Ogryn which judges looooove and it gives me an excuse to paint and run the big guys that have been collecting dust for years.
    letsagetabitarockin!

Veteran-Sergeant

I was one of the judges for that event (DaBoyzGT) but dropped out due to some disagreements on scoring. Here is my take on the event and what you should bring, again its just my opinion but I know what the judges are looking at and I can help.

First there is comp featured in the event which seems to strike fear in the hearts of power gamers everywhere, however the system in place does not penalize WWAC list enough to worry about so I would recommend taking what you feel gives you the best chance of winning. Do not gimp you list for an extra 20 or so points in comp, it wont work! You might get away with special characters provided you build the list around the fluff which that character represents. Personally I dont think Straken adds that much but its your call. On to your list.

While the infantry flood list is good, there will be alot of mech armies that will tear it up (and they will be present!). You wont be able to stand up against mech Orks or tervigon/stealer spam. Mepheston and friends will also gang rape your list as well, and I have a good feeling he will be there! Nearly any mech list will give you fits as they will outmaneuver and outshoot you all day long. Guard in t-shirts ( or in your case bearskin hats) have to move out of cover sometime and when they do they will get shredded. This list will get average comp at best due to repetition and special character even though it doesnt hit nearly as hard as other list which will score average as well.

My advice: PLAY WHAT YOU WANT AND SCREW THE COMP SCORE. Put it like this you will really have to work at it to get a bad score. I highly doubt anyone will get a zero. I see a bad comp score being around 30, with a fluffy good comp score getting 70 to 80. That is a net difference of 50 points which you can make up in the first round. If you look at last years top armies many players had low comp scores, choosing to supplement their overall score with a boatload of battle points. I suspect this years scoring will be no different. So as long as you dont play an obvious leafblower list or chimera spam you will score between 40-60 just like most people there. ( Spoiler alert - Only one judge knows guard really well! ) A good balance guard list without obvious repeats ( and ORGYNS are a huge plus!) will score well and fight well, trust me!

Good luck!

First-Captain

There's not a whole lot of variety in the Guard. You have infantry, you have armor.

So you shouldn't get screwed over on comp too badly.

That being said, win comp points--don't use a SC.