BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Librarian

Default Escalation Campaign Ideas

I've been thinking of some fun escalation scenarios and was looking for some input to spice up a small campaign i want to run at our local club.

As a club we enjoy games which have a bit of flavour in the way of special rules. I tend to keep special rules simple and easy to remember. generally the USRs are the best way of doing this.

so far i've got 3 small scale scenarios

Game 1: 1st Contact (200pts)

The forces have made planetfall and are performing routine recon operations

Played as Battle Mission's Kill team scenario. Night fight scenario for entire game. No HQ choices allowed.

Game 2: Seize Control (200+500pts)

A patrol force has been dispatched to aid the recon team and Seize control of the area to construct a forward command post.

players take a 500 point "Combat Patrol Force" (no special characters, no vehicles with more than total armour of 33, no 2+ saves, no wounds above 2 except for swarms) FO: 0HQ, 2E, 4T 1T mandatory, 2FA, 1HS

dawn of war deployment, Seize ground mission (2 objectives) once you have seized the enemy's objective, you gain your kill team force in reserve
    Winner of Game 1 may deploy 1 unit from the original kill team force within 3" of the objective once it is held, this unit counts as deep striking.

Game 3: Report (200+500+300)

1st Command has made planet fall and is heading to the unfinished forward command post.

Players must add 1 HQ to their existing force and make the force up to 1000points in total (i.e they may add/change upgrades to existing units or add more units - units may not be removed)

FO: (1HQ mandatory, 3E, 6T 1T mandatory, 3FA, 3HS)

Scenario: 1 large ruin in the centre of the table (around 12"x12") represents the unfinished comand post. Winner of Game 2 sets up inside the command post excepting the HQ which must start in reserve along with any other reserves. Other player may set up anywhere on the table keeping 18" away from the command post.

Player with the most victory points inside the command post at the end of the game wins. units with less than 50% of models inside of the building are counted but have their victroy points halved, as do units who are entirely on the outside of the building but are engaged with a unit which has models inside the building.

Game 4: First Strike

Having siezed the initiative, the command post brings in fresh troops and forges ahead

Winner of Game 3 may choose an entirely new force which uses the standard FO and totals 1500 points.
    Other player may only add 500 points of new units. this must make the force conform to the standard FO (i.e some players may need to add an extra troops choice)

Spearhead deployment (table quarters) Anihilation scenario

these 4 missions would be played with the same opponents, with later games swapping opponents with other campaign players and leading up to an apocalypse scenario with all of the campaign players.

What do you think so far? the idea behind these games is to keep the points scale gradually increasing between games, and give the winner of each game a slight advantage

other possible scenarios include
    • Exploration: where players have to recover resources to determine how many extra points they may spend in the game after
    • Discovery: Players will find a hidden device or artifact which will aid them in future games
    • Superheavy: where the winner of the last game gets to add 1 superheavy to his list, with the opponent matching points

I would love some input from anyone who has ran an escalation campaign, and anyone who has some creative input for these kinds of games.

Cheers,

TSINI
    Conscription in the Lucky 88th
    http://lucky88th.blogspot.com

How large do you want your battles to go and how long do you want the campaign to last? We usually try and fit in some planetstrike battles to open up extra beach heads and space hulk style skirmishes as sabotage teams try to take out planetary defenses etc. then end up with one or two large Apocalypse games to decide the outcome
    But if you want to stick to just basic 40k then I would say you pretty much have it, maybe with the superheavy battle as its climax.

Edit: Oh, you said small campaign, well that decided that lol.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

Theres some good stuff on escalating in the big rule book. Similar to what you've got
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/