BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Aspire to Glory View Post
    While I appreciate your perspective, stop pretending that you're superior to people because you aren't annoyed by the subject. Take your own advice and 1) ignore the thread... 2) stop being a jerk.
    I don't think I'm superior because I'm not annoyed. If you'd actually read my post, you'd know that I am annoyed. I think I'm superior - or at least a little more grown-up - because I'm willing to tolerate the existence of threads I don't like because that's the price I pay to have a free and open forum where I can post what I want without arcane rules. As I also wrote, I don't want a place like ATT where army lists are entirely banned and there's a strict hierarchy of membership. I also don't want a place like Carpe Noctem (the Vampire Counts forum) which follows a kind of incomprehensible points system that, honestly, stresses me out.

As far as just ignoring this thread, that's not an option. Big Red has shown himself willing to change the way the forum works in response to the desires of its members. This is all well and good, but it also means that if I want to continue to have the kind of forum I want to have - a place where army lists can be posted and we don't waste our time with some arcane and stressful system of points and rankings and whatever - I need to let my voice be heard.

You don't have to follow my advice and ignore the annoying army threads. You can try to convince Big Red to change the way the site works - more power to you. But I'm not going to be silent on the matter, because I have a point of view as well.

I'm genuinely sorry if my post offended you. I wasn't trying to be a jerk to anyone - perhaps a little bit sharp and a just a bit mocking, but not hurtful. I don't retract it, however, because I believe that the sentiment is worthwhile.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Librarian

@EP the problem is posting lists just for the sake of posting them and then posting an ungodly amount of lists for no real reason and no real benefit to the community. if he were to post lists and have some actual discussion, some real give and take you know the whole exchange of ideas or atleast fake an interest in taking suggestions or criticism an alternate list ideas then this would not be an issue. its posting list after list of you can rate but not comment... like seriously this isn't a strip club and trust me there is touching in the champagne room...

I for one check this website frequently. I am a Former whineseer guy. i actually begged them to ban me so i would never go back to them. Their attitudes sucked you'd post a list and you'd be told your an idiot or spam x y and z and vola your the new internet champion... So for me this place was a breath of fresh air you could come on you all spoke english which thank god for that. and you would see lists that aren't the same net list copy and past crap. I'd browse a list see a unit and actually be like hmm am i missing something? Are you guys seeing a unit in a different way then i am? So for me this place is a wealth of knowledge and freedom. people here actually seem to oh i dunno paint and model their armies instead of grey plastic.

So yes i would actually love to see Red change the way you post army lists hell if it was once a week i would be pleased. and if you don't want that then simply block the twit from posting a list every 12 hours.... problem solved. If you look at this thread its the regular day to day guys who are posting in it. why are they posting in it? because they all noticed it to became frustrated and annoyed and they have every reason to be. the whole you can just ignore it crap is bs. i want to be able to log on and see new replies and new threads i dont need to have everything set up as mark as read to prevent myself from seeing the stooges posts sorry but i should not have to go out of my way to avoid his stupidity.

First-Captain

I don't really see a problem. However if I wanted feedback and I wasn't getting it a reaction would be to post more.

I can see why you want to rate a list, but in the long run what is really the point since people have a different opnion. It would be better to ask how people would feel if they faced said list and how it would do in a friendly game or tournament game.

I mean if he wanted too he could post more since some post have like 3 list on it.

First-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by SON OF ROMULOUS View Post
    @EP the problem is posting lists just for the sake of posting them and then posting an ungodly amount of lists for no real reason and no real benefit to the community. if he were to post lists and have some actual discussion, some real give and take you know the whole exchange of ideas or atleast fake an interest in taking suggestions or criticism an alternate list ideas then this would not be an issue. its posting list after list of you can rate but not comment... like seriously this isn't a strip club and trust me there is touching in the champagne room...

I for one check this website frequently. I am a Former whineseer guy. i actually begged them to ban me so i would never go back to them. Their attitudes sucked you'd post a list and you'd be told your an idiot or spam x y and z and vola your the new internet champion... So for me this place was a breath of fresh air you could come on you all spoke english which thank god for that. and you would see lists that aren't the same net list copy and past crap. I'd browse a list see a unit and actually be like hmm am i missing something? Are you guys seeing a unit in a different way then i am? So for me this place is a wealth of knowledge and freedom. people here actually seem to oh i dunno paint and model their armies instead of grey plastic.

So yes i would actually love to see Red change the way you post army lists hell if it was once a week i would be pleased. and if you don't want that then simply block the twit from posting a list every 12 hours.... problem solved. If you look at this thread its the regular day to day guys who are posting in it. why are they posting in it? because they all noticed it to became frustrated and annoyed and they have every reason to be. the whole you can just ignore it crap is bs. i want to be able to log on and see new replies and new threads i dont need to have everything set up as mark as read to prevent myself from seeing the stooges posts sorry but i should not have to go out of my way to avoid his stupidity.
    You do have a point. I think what bols should do is have some category seperation like tau, chaos, etc. Tau Online ans Second Sphere used to do that and it cut down on list bumbs and also made list easier to find. If I want to look at daemon list I don't like going through 14 different army list just to find a Chaos based list.

Quote Originally Posted by Aspire to Glory View Post
    While I appreciate your perspective, stop pretending that you're superior to people because you aren't annoyed by the subject. Take your own advice and 1) ignore the thread... 2) stop being a jerk.
    Ooooh the hypocrisy is killing me!
    1. Tyranids - 15,000 pts
    2. Chaos Space Marines - 7,100 pts

Quote Originally Posted by chicop76 View Post
    You do have a point. I think what bols should do is have some category seperation like tau, chaos, etc. Tau Online ans Second Sphere used to do that and it cut down on list bumbs and also made list easier to find. If I want to look at daemon list I don't like going through 14 different army list just to find a Chaos based list.
    I've often wondered why this isn't the standard.

Also it amuses me that Romulus's baby thinks he's a 'regular day to day' member as if he's some sort of employee of the forum "THEY TOOK OUR JOBS!!!" (south park reference) mentality is hilarious to say the least. I wonder what nonsense will come out of his mouth next , internet logic at it's finest.

He has like 270 posts only. I've been around this forum for a looong time, even before registering and still have about as many posts as he does, yet he feels he should be more entitled to an opinion because he's a 'day to day' poster and no one should ever disrupt the 'day to day' poster! Excuse me, sir but no. You are the same as everyone else here, get over it.

As Eletric Paladin so kindly pointed out to you, there are ways to 'mitigate' the annoyance if you are so bothered, and your voice has the same weight as anyone else's here. Including mine.

I've said this before i'll say it again, there's more than 1 way to give feedback to someone. I intentionally worded my threads with the 'no suggestions' because I specifically wanted to avoid that kind of responses. Yet i didn't do so in every thread, in the Grey Knights thread i posted 'i'm open to them, but only from the following list of items'

And yet where is the flood of responses to that one? in the 4,000 pts game i even said 'i'm fully open to suggestions on a list build from the following items' and put up a really large collection of stuff to choose from....where are the responses to that thread?

Seems to me like some folk here just want to complain for the sake of complaining. Or just like with the flavor of the month, they want to just jump into the newest bandwagon without even putting a thought into it.

So let me re-iterate this. When you look at a posted army list, most people will want advice/suggestions on how to improve it, perhaps they are looking to buy something new, or have access/plans to get more stuff. But then there's people who DO NOT and when you look at their army list and they are NOT planning to get more things at any point in the near future, then your suggestions on what to change become moot. So if they ask you please no editing suggestions, you should respect that, they shouldn't have to give you a whole life story about why they can't or wont be purchasing any new stuff. To someone in that position any advice telling them 'Get more riptides for your Tau' 'Buy more wraithknights' is as useless as useless can be.

So be more creative, don't always try to dictate what someone should play, and the world will be a better place.
    1. Tyranids - 15,000 pts

Please stop with the useless [Rate] crap...
    "Build a man a fire, and he'll be warm for a day. Set a man on fire, and he'll be warm for the rest of his life." ~ T. Pratchett

Quote Originally Posted by Maelstorm View Post
    Please stop with the useless [Rate] crap...
    1. Tyranids - 15,000 pts

Chapter-Master

I do feel like I want to chime in - before my words are used incorrectly - and point out that the "RATE MY LIST but let's not have an actual discussion about how to use them and what to put into them" threads are pretty dumb. The entire reason I want to avoid weird rigid forum rules is to foster more creativity and discussion - those threads are the opposite of that.

Akaiyou, if your take home from this conversation is "folks on BoLS are mean," then you're only getting half the point. You might want to consider that your style of posting army lists is annoying to some people and perhaps instead of defending your right to post whatever you want, you should also stop and think about the reaction your are eliciting. Maybe this whole project of "I don't want you to tell me how to improve this list because I'm not ever going to buy any models ever, just tell me how good it is" is wrong-headed from the start.

In other words, Akaiyou, I don't really think you're right. I just prefer to post in a forum where you have the ability to be wrong .
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Chapter-Master

What a bellthronk. if you already have x/y/z and you will not countenance buying a/b/c then it is irrelevant asking for feedback.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 4567 LastLast