BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Scout

Default Landraiders as transports for Chaos Terminators

So in my last game my buddy and I had an interesting discussion about the Chaos codex listing for Terminators and I wanted to check if we were reading this correctly.

It states that you can take a LR as a transport choice for your terminators. So the question is, since Rhinos do not take up an additional troops listing when added to a squad, do these take up one of the Heavy Support choices on the FOC?

Since I felt like it's a little hinky I built my list assuming that my LR for my terminators was a Heavy Support and thus only took 2 other heavy supports.

Am I missing something?

Veteran-Sergeant

No it would not take up a Heavy chioce, but it would have to be deployed with the termintors (count as an elite, but would not take up a elite choice either) as there transport, treat them like you would rhinos.

Scout

oh man! you mean I could've taken another squad of oblits?

Damn me for being a nice guy and not wanting to seem like I was cheating. On the bright side I still won the game, even though my my Oblits never DS'd in, lesser deamon bomb is my favorite tactic, it's almost better than lash IMHO.

Veteran-Sergeant

Yup, you just play for the points

Quote Originally Posted by keithsilva View Post
    No it would not take up a Heavy chioce, but it would have to be deployed with the termintors (count as an elite, but would not take up a elite choice either) as there transport, treat them like you would rhinos.
    Actually . . . While the Land Raiders selected as a Dedicated Transport for the Terminators would not use a slot from the FOC, there is nothing that requires it to be deployed with the Terminators. The only restriction on Dedicated Transports is that only the unit for which it was purchased may begin the game Embarked. If one so wishes, they could Deploy the Land Raider and have the Terminators Deep Strike OR both units could be Deployed in different areas of the table OR so on.
    Last edited by Culven; 08-18-2009 at 09:06 AM.

Battle-Brother

What I often do is have the 3 terminator deep strike in and embark my berserker squad into the land raider on my first turn. This allows you to still get 3 heavy support choices. In fact if you wanted you can do this with 3 land raiders and 9 terminators and still get 3 Heavy support.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Culven View Post
    Actually . . . While the Land Raiders seelcted as a Dedicated Transport for the Terminators would not use a slot from the FOC, there is nothing that requires it to be deployed with the Terminators. The only restriction on Dedicated Transports is that only the unit for which it was purchased may begin the game Embarked. If one so wishes, they could Deploy the Land Raider and have the Terminators Deep Strike OR both units could be Deployed in different areas of the table OR so on.
    I thought that the dedicated transport had to deploy with the unit it was dedicated to embarked on it, then once the game starts they can disembark and the transport is free to do whatever you want it to.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by AsgeirArnald View Post
    I thought that the dedicated transport had to deploy with the unit it was dedicated to embarked on it, then once the game starts they can disembark and the transport is free to do whatever you want it to.
    Actually they don't. My roomie takes one with a deepstriking term squad all the time and just places it next to his beserker squad turn 1 so they can embark.
    Come all you Xeno scum and fallen heretics! Come face the one true might of the universe and wither under the Golden Throne's gaze!

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by VinceBlack View Post
    Actually they don't. My roomie takes one with a deepstriking term squad all the time and just places it next to his beserker squad turn 1 so they can embark.
    That's good to know. That's basically what I do but I start with my termies in the LR because I thought I had to. It'll be nice to cut out the middle man and just deepstrike them and get the beserkers in the LR faster.

Just remember that one unit can't deploy in another's dedicated transport. You can start the berserkers right behind the terminators' Land Raider, and then on turn 1 mount up and drive off, which is almost the same thing. Not quite, though, as it potentially leaves the troops you intend to put into the transport exposed for one round of shooting.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast