BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 99 of 121 FirstFirst ... 4989979899100101109 ... LastLast
    First-Captain

You're wrong because its Necromunda, not Blood Bowl.

I'd say, at least in the UK, the vast majority of table top wargamers at least start with GW, because GW take on that expense, having shops to recruit new blood, without that, the wargaming scene in the UK would shrink a lot after a few years.

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by Path Walker View Post
    You're wrong because its Necromunda, not Blood Bowl.

I'd say, at least in the UK, the vast majority of table top wargamers at least start with GW, because GW take on that expense, having shops to recruit new blood, without that, the wargaming scene in the UK would shrink a lot after a few years.
    That's interesting. I got started gaming in Aberdeen (Scotland) at a game store called Plan 9. They eventually built a GW shop in Aberdeen, but I never went to it as much as I did Plan 9.

And here in the US, there are barely any GW stores anywhere- the wargaming scene would barely notice if they all closed.

(And while I do love Necromunda, it is still Blood Bowl. Necromunda and Mordheim do close the gap a bit, though).
    Last edited by odinsgrandson; 06-22-2015 at 08:48 AM.

www.GardenNinja.com

You're both wrong.

Space Marine/Titan Legions,
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    You're both wrong.

Absolutely.
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

You're both wrong.

And THAT is why I worry about AoS... That was a brilliant system, and Epic 40K just neutered it horribly.

Space Marine/Adeptus Titanicus (the first edition of that system) was sort of what got me into GW games. My dad played it in the back of a local shop and I'd watch, and was so into it that I'd sit in class and draw Titans and stuff.

Off-topic, but a fun tangent... The guy who managed that store (it was part of a small local "chain") now owns his own shop right by the neighborhood I grew up in. Just talked to him last week, ended up having like an hour-long conversation on naval forces through history. It's nice to see some of the people you knew when you got into the hobby over 25 years ago are still around.

And how many years ago was that?

If we're still worrying about stuff that we worried about decades ago, I'd still be worried about when puberty would hit (1994 as it happens), would I ever get a bird (yes) amongst myriad other things.

Erik. You see, determined to paint this in the worst possible light, and it's something of a recurring theme in your posts. Why?
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    And THAT is why I worry about AoS... That was a brilliant system, and Epic 40K just neutered it horribly.

Space Marine/Adeptus Titanicus (the first edition of that system) was sort of what got me into GW games. My dad played it in the back of a local shop and I'd watch, and was so into it that I'd sit in class and draw Titans and stuff.

Off-topic, but a fun tangent... The guy who managed that store (it was part of a small local "chain") now owns his own shop right by the neighborhood I grew up in. Just talked to him last week, ended up having like an hour-long conversation on naval forces through history. It's nice to see some of the people you knew when you got into the hobby over 25 years ago are still around.
    I love 1st/2nd edition Adeptus Titanicus/Space Marine and like many if not most long time players was not fond of Epic 40k. Still, if you look at 3rd edition/Epic 40k objectively it is actually a solid game system, it's 'flaw' if you can call it such is that it abstracts too much detail in an effort to streamline huge battles which leads to a distinct lack of 'flavor'... it basically feels like an old school map and cardboard counter game. 4th Ed Epic Armageddon actually blends the 3 previous systems together to make a very nice game.

Given the current state of things at GW, AoS will not suffer from over abstraction as a game system. Epic40k is pretty much the only example of over abstraction in a GW tabletop game. I am afraid AoS will receive the 40k treatment which substitutes randomness for the sake of randomness and have limited utility for pick up games and events. It's hard to get excited if it proves to be another game that panders to the WAAC crowd and therefore only works in a narrative basement setting. I'm seriously hoping that Sigmar at least believes in attempting to balance the design.

- - - Updated - - -

And how many years ago was that?

If we're still worrying about stuff that we worried about decades ago, I'd still be worried about when puberty would hit (1994 as it happens), would I ever get a bird (yes) amongst myriad other things.

Erik. You see, determined to paint this in the worst possible light, and it's something of a recurring theme in your posts. Why?
    If I get to worry about something from decades ago it would be a return to RT style rules. Who wants to play a game with a couple squads each that takes the whole weekend to resolve!
    My Truescale Insanity
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?48704-Truescale-Space-Wolves

Not bloody me, matey.

Which is why my Landraider will hurl two Plasma Support Missiles at you. That ought to wrap things up in a jiffy

Brother-Captain

You're both wrong.

Don't you mean 7th ed 40K 😳

Epic/BFG were rules wise the best GW ever did, the problem was people were just so attached to Space Marine in fact they are proof at good rules doesn't equal success.

Of course you are all wrong Warhammer Ancients was the best GW game a heady mix of Warhammer and common sense awesome!

Erik you sound like you need to grieve get yourself down to my The End thread in WFB background and reminisce on a lost world
    Knowledge is knowing a tomato is a fruit
    Wisdom is knowing not to put it in a fruit salad.

Chapter-Master

Does anyone have any actual news or rumours? Every time I check its either prophecies of doom or folks being super hyped. I haven't heard anything to evoke either reaction yet.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD