BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default RTB01 my latest project

I know lots of people think they look like crap, but I just love the old school plastic marines from when I was 10 years old.

Librarian

well i love em

a nice little force you have there, my own mock RTB01 force will be getting ordered this coming week.
    im doing FW mk VI and the odd GW plastic/FC for a RT mentor legion army.

dont let the party poopers get you down, the old guys are cool, if a little small

are you doing them all CF? if so you gotta get the 25th anniversary dude from ebay, that will look ace

Librarian

I dont think they look like crap, in fact they are delightfully cheesey and fun. While saying that though its not an aesthetic I would run personally, but I can appreciate the history behind it.
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v506/rlocke2/551391_4297044038379_634463020_n.jpg

Librarian

I love them!
    "Let them come. We shall smite them down where they stand" Warsmith Vorax of the 15th Grand Battalion.

Battle-Brother

Love the old school marines. Wish i'd kept all of mine.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Cpt Codpiece View Post
    well i love em

dont let the party poopers get you down, the old guys are cool, if a little small
    I love 'em too. Love that Mentor Legions avatar as well!

One way you can increase the size of the RTB01's is to add a "sole" of plastic card to the bottoms of their feet. I used Tamiya 1.2mm plastic card and it worked a treat. The RTB01's are pretty flat footed anyway, so even if they were tall enough, they'd still benefit from a sole.

One of the sets of legs has a foot bent at the pad, so you'll have to snip your plastic card sole in two and use liquid greenstuff to fill in the "hinge" where the foot bends.

Sticking them on pre-sculpted resin bases also helps, as these are often a bit taller than the standard Games Workshop base, so they help bump up the models' heights.

I've found that the backpacks don't usually fit well onto the back, so what I've done is take a small (I'm guessing about 1mm thick) square-shaped slice out of any of the supports on a Games Workshop sprue, and glue that between the back and the backpack.

One more tip (before I bore you all to death) is that a lot of the Anvil Industry parts match the RTB01 models really well. Many of the Anvil bits, the heads especially, seem more 25mm than 28mm. They look weird on a standard Space Marine, but fit well with the RTB01's.

Good luck with your collections guys!

Librarian

yeah i found AI parts smaller than GW too, but they will indeed be great for the old models

hopefully my mentor legion (see the thread, its only dodgy WIPs at the mo), will be coming along pretty quik once the FW order is done

i really wish i had my old RTB01's i loved the kit so much

Veteran-Sergeant

It looks like you had to strip some paint on those plastics. What did you use, Pine Sol?
    "Technically correct is the best kind of correct."
    WHFB: Dwarf - TK - Empire - Goblin 40k: SW - IG - Ork

These are as cool as hell. Looking forward to seeing them all painted!
    Social Justice Warlord Titan

Quote Originally Posted by Kaiserdean View Post
    It looks like you had to strip some paint on those plastics. What did you use, Pine Sol?
    I only had to strip about 6 of them, I used simple green from walmart it was $1.99 and it worked ok. I also did quite a bit with a hobby knife. The worst part was the Rhino I fished it out of bargan bin for $15, it had 7 layers of paint, red, blue, green, brown, white, black, and grey. It took about 3 days with a hobby knife to get it to what you see in the picture. Not bad for $15. I the RTB01 boxed set on ebay for $45 that was still on the sprues for the most part and had about 27 marines. Then I just started buying up all the RTB01 marines I could find. I have 50 of them now plus the Rhino. I'm watining on forge world MK5 jump packs for the assult squad.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast