BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Eldar Swooping Hawks...how bad do they s***?

Well, i tried them out in a game 2k+2k (Eldar + GK) vs. 4k (Necrons + IG)...i added an Autarch in the group and had an Exarch with Skyleap. My strategy was to Deep Strike --> Drop a bomb --> Skyleap back to reserves. In this they are ok, but in the turn 4, where it counted the most, i had them shooting all they had to necrons and the Autarch had a Fusion Gun...they did absolutely zero, zilch, nada...i was forced to assault the necrons, just to keep them off the objective and the Hawks went down quicker than a ton of bricks. This is one of the reasons, i now have three Hornets. Just to divide them in to different slots or run just one evil fast doom unit...there´s nothing else in the codex, i hope this changes, when the new codex arrives...

Is any one still using them? And if so, why?

Veteran-Sergeant

I use them as either a harrasing unit that I can pull back into reserve or just as a unit I can deepstrike to finish off units knowing I don't need to leave them sat there for long, I run my unit with Baharroth and an exarch for added leathality but only use them because of the skyleap power and to a lesser degree the grenade pack which annoyes your opponent more than anything. They are not some super unit I through into the bosh knowing they will kick a**e more a skirmish unit I use to pick on weak spots.

Occuli Imperator

Their intercept skill is quite useful, and that their Haywire grenades affect fortifications
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master

very situational. vs squishy opponents they are alright, if and rubber banding is often okay versus large swarms (bouncing in and out with a few small squads )

sadly for the points they are essentially guardsmen with a slightly better gun and a jetpack, and when compared to shining spears, vypers and all the other eldar fast attack they appear kinda crap.
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

Battle-Brother

Last I checked intercept actually did nothing now as you hit a moving vehical as if it was WS 1, which is 3+. Intercept says you hit skimmers on no less than 4+. This is worse than the generic vehicle rules in the brb as I dont think skimmer get a bonus in assault anymore.

Haywire grenades are quite useful now, but SH are still far too overpriced for what they do. They are quite useful in Planetstrike in 6th ed though. They aren't terrible if you use them against a player who knows how bad they are, they tend to underestimate the threat and let you take out a few tanks with luck and care. But after a while they start adapting that and it isn't hard to adapt to Swooping Hawks. A handful of lasguns do the trick usually.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    Haywire grenades are quite useful now, but SH are still far too overpriced for what they do. They are quite useful in Planetstrike in 6th ed though. They aren't terrible if you use them against a player who knows how bad they are, they tend to underestimate the threat and let you take out a few tanks with luck and care. But after a while they start adapting that and it isn't hard to adapt to Swooping Hawks. A handful of lasguns do the trick usually.
    This.

Its hard to look at the unit and find something that they're really good at. The intercept skill has been basically nerfed to non-existence and their pea-shooter rifles aren't really worth much anymore.

They're a relic from a bygone era that is in desperate need of a refurb. In fact, the whole Fast attack slot in Codex Eldar is a bit in need of a refurb. The only one that I can think of that is actually effective in a game are warp spiders - and they're just a bit too pricey.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by metal_ead View Post
    Last I checked intercept actually did nothing now as you hit a moving vehical as if it was WS 1, which is 3+. Intercept says you hit skimmers on no less than 4+. This is worse than the generic vehicle rules in the brb as I dont think skimmer get a bonus in assault anymore.
    This is outdated. Intercept has been amended in the Eldar FAQ 1.1 to:

"Page 35 – Intercept. The last sentence should be changed to: 'In assaults, they never require worse than 4+ to hit vehicles that do not have a WS.'"

So, the Hawks hit vehicles AUTOMATICALLY on the assault with their haywire grenades.

its to bad their intercept skill didn't allow them to assault fliers =P

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Aegwymourn View Post
    its to bad their intercept skill didn't allow them to assault fliers =P
    Funny I can't seem to find any rules about assaulting fliers... maybe they can!?

With the exception of zooming fliers... as per page 81 of the BRB
    Last edited by Warpspider89; 01-03-2013 at 12:52 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast