BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Brother-Sergeant

Default 1500pt Fallen Realms WotR List

Hello all! Would like to get some C&C on one of my Fallen Realms lists. Pick away fine tacticians of BoLS Lounge!

Amdur, Lord of Blades 165

Dalamyr, Fleetmaster of Umbar 100

Easterling Cohort 4 companies 155
    Dragon Knight

Easterling Cohort 4 companies 155
    Dragon Knight

Easterling Cohort 4 companies 225
    Pikes, Dragon Knight

Easterling Archer Cohort 4 companies 190

Easterling Archer Cohort 4 companies 190

Black Guard of Barad-dûr 3 companies 200
    Uruk-Hai Captain, Uruk-Hai Drummer

War Mumak of Harad 250

Total: 1495pts

EDIT: Made a few changes when I realized that Archer Cohorts cant take Dragon Knights. That teaches me not to make army lists at 5 am.
    Last edited by Dragon Knight Of Rhun; 08-03-2009 at 02:26 PM.

Walrus Lord

Looks like a pretty solid FR list, two main things concern me.

1. Why don't all of your Easterling Cohorts have pikes? They are really amazing (is it just a model thing?) the pike upgrade is cheap and just better then being without. You could drop the captain on the Easterling unit, or the cursed armor of Udun (Always sounds like Udon to me) to get the points for this, also would clear up you being 5 pts over, which may or may not matter to you.

2. The army lacks a really hard hitting unit, you've got good defense, some soild shooting, but the only thing in your army that really hits hard is the mumak, which is random and will be the main target for your enemies, once it is dead, you have little hitting power. I worry about how you will deal with good enemy units in defensible terrain features, were the mumak cannot go, how do you plan to drive them out? Half-Trolls are a very solid hitting unit, coupled with Amdur's epic rampage they can provided heavy hitting. tough they are rather expensive, a cheaper option would be to take a few companies of Khandish Mercenaries, S4 with two handed weapons means they can do some damage and gives you a unit that really hits. The Cursed Armour of Udun could turn into 3 companies of these, or you could drop a unit of Easterling Cohorts to get them. Both of these options keep the army totally Fallen Realms. You could always look at allies, if you wanted.

Other then that it seems to be a pretty soild and fluffy Easterling list, not something I would expect to see win tournaments but a fun and fluffy list to play casually with, and that seems to be your goal. I would love to see how they look.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by iamaddj View Post
    Looks like a pretty solid FR list, two main things concern me.

1. Why don't all of your Easterling Cohorts have pikes? They are really amazing (is it just a model thing?) the pike upgrade is cheap and just better then being without. You could drop the captain on the Easterling unit, or the cursed armor of Udun (Always sounds like Udon to me) to get the points for this, also would clear up you being 5 pts over, which may or may not matter to you.
    Thank You! Yea it is a model thing. Because the Easterling set only has 4 with pike per box, I cant afford it. Our group is tight on the WYSIWYG rule. Being 5 points over is fine, just as long as you aren't more than 10.

The army lacks a really hard hitting unit, you've got good defense, some soild shooting, but the only thing in your army that really hits hard is the mumak, which is random and will be the main target for your enemies, once it is dead, you have little hitting power. I worry about how you will deal with good enemy units in defensible terrain features, were the mumak cannot go, how do you plan to drive them out? Half-Trolls are a very solid hitting unit, coupled with Amdur's epic rampage they can provided heavy hitting. tough they are rather expensive, a cheaper option would be to take a few companies of Khandish Mercenaries, S4 with two handed weapons means they can do some damage and gives you a unit that really hits. The Cursed Armour of Udun could turn into 3 companies of these, or you could drop a unit of Easterling Cohorts to get them. Both of these options keep the army totally Fallen Realms. You could always look at allies, if you wanted.
    Well with pikes and Udun it turns my pike unit into a Fight 5, Defense 8 fighting machine, with one company that fights at Fight 7 thanks to my Dragon Knight. In playtests these guys survive long and hit hard, especially against my archnemesis' army, The Galadhrim.

I will definitely take a look at the Khandish Mercenaries, but aren't their models metal? I may have to shuffle things around a bit to fit them in. Everything also fits around the Easterling boxed set, because as you may notice the Easterlings are made up of 8 Easterling Boxed sets. So it will be hard to take away one Cohort without lessening everybody.

I do see what you mean though, it does lack some heavy hitting even though the Dragon Knights do make some companies Fight 7. Allies are a possibility. Any suggestions on what to get that won't affect the cohorts modelwise?

Other then that it seems to be a pretty soild and fluffy Easterling list, not something I would expect to see win tournaments but a fun and fluffy list to play casually with, and that seems to be your goal. I would love to see how they look.
    Thanks! Yea that is my main goal. As for how they look, i am working on it!

P.S Thank you for taking the time to help me out here!

Walrus Lord

Yeah the Easterling box is a very inconvenient box to build form. Though I do know some people have done some conversions changing regular Easterlings to have pikes, might be more work then you want to do tough.

If you mostly fighting elves then S3 guys with D8 and good fight are gunna be pretty good, I just worry about you going up against Dwarfs for instance, who are gunna be S4 D8 and about the same fight, you will lose that battle.

Yeah the Khandish troops are metal that does make them rather expensive (so are half trolls), so they could be out of your price range. The cheapest thing to do (money wise) would be to get some Mordors orcs with 2 handed weapons. If you drop the extra captain and the CAOU you get enough points to get a formation of 6 companies of mordor orcs (plastic models) w/ two-handed weapons. This is a cheap unit that can put out some hurt, tough it will die fast. still it gives you a better way of getting past high defense units. Not really as good as Khandish troops, but plastic.

Brother-Sergeant

Yeah the Easterling box is a very inconvenient box to build form. Though I do know some people have done some conversions changing regular Easterlings to have pikes, might be more work then you want to do tough.

If you mostly fighting elves then S3 guys with D8 and good fight are gunna be pretty good, I just worry about you going up against Dwarfs for instance, who are gunna be S4 D8 and about the same fight, you will lose that battle.

Yeah the Khandish troops are metal that does make them rather expensive (so are half trolls), so they could be out of your price range. The cheapest thing to do (money wise) would be to get some Mordors orcs with 2 handed weapons. If you drop the extra captain and the CAOU you get enough points to get a formation of 6 companies of mordor orcs (plastic models) w/ two-handed weapons. This is a cheap unit that can put out some hurt, tough it will die fast. still it gives you a better way of getting past high defense units. Not really as good as Khandish troops, but plastic.

Yea I know what you mean, thankfully we dont have any Dwarf players!
    But of course if that range goes any more plastic than it is, I could see a lot of them. So preparing my list for them would be a good idea.

Thanks ill look into that. Orcs with two handed weps, sounds like a plan. Do you know if the Mordor Orc box set comes with enough two handed weps to make them all have that?

Walrus Lord

The Orc box come with 8 with two handed weapons, 8 with hand weapon and shields and 8 with bows. According to the rule book you need 5 out of 8 models in each company equipped the correct way to be WYSIWYG, tough I know this verys group by group, down here we stick with a more 6/8 rules, but it does allow you to stench that box out more. Pretty much anyway you look at it if you want to get a unit with all two handers you will have extra models, unless you want to buy metal blisters. Maybe you can trade the excess models?

Brother-Sergeant

The Orc box come with 8 with two handed weapons, 8 with hand weapon and shields and 8 with bows. According to the rule book you need 5 out of 8 models in each company equipped the correct way to be WYSIWYG, tough I know this verys group by group, down here we stick with a more 6/8 rules, but it does allow you to stench that box out more. Pretty much anyway you look at it if you want to get a unit with all two handers you will have extra models, unless you want to buy metal blisters. Maybe you can trade the excess models?
    Yea I am not seeing anyway I could make this work with my budget.

Even the Khandish blisters include bowmen. I would be spending too much to get a few companies of anything with two handed weps.

EDIT: What about the Black Guard of Barad-Dur? They have no models so you could use anything to represent them right? (I mean convert/paint to be them) and I have a Fighting Uruk Hai box lying around. They have S4 and Fight 5. A nice hard hitting unit. Just how would I fit them in pointwise? I could get rid of Udun, but what else. I need to open up 75 more points to fit in three companies of them.
    Last edited by Dragon Knight Of Rhun; 08-03-2009 at 01:58 PM.

Walrus Lord

Black Guard are really amazing (I went over their uses in the Mordor Article I wrote for the main blog), as they dont really have models you could use Isengard Uruk-hai, (tough strictly speeking they are Mordor Uruk-hai, which have a metal blister) I would recommend using Isnegard Uruk-Hai scouts for Black Guard (they are also plastic but are not as obviously regular Uruk-hai, also no pikes so you don't have to wast models). The Black Guards I feel are however best fielded with a caster (shaman) in them.

You could drop the captains in the archer units thus freeing up 175 pts to get 3 companies of Black Gaurd, I find that I don't normally need captains in the archer units, while nice they are very pricey and don't often get their points back (god I think I just killed the English language). If you did that and picked up 3 companies of black guard you could also **** the captain form the Easterling pikemen over into a captain for the Black Gaurd making them a pretty hard hitting unit, and you would still have a Dragon Knight in each of the Chorts.

Brother-Sergeant

Black Guard are really amazing (I went over their uses in the Mordor Article I wrote for the main blog), as they dont really have models you could use Isengard Uruk-hai, (tough strictly speeking they are Mordor Uruk-hai, which have a metal blister) I would recommend using Isnegard Uruk-Hai scouts for Black Guard (they are also plastic but are not as obviously regular Uruk-hai, also no pikes so you don't have to wast models). The Black Guards I feel are however best fielded with a caster (shaman) in them.

You could drop the captains in the archer units thus freeing up 175 pts to get 3 companies of Black Gaurd, I find that I don't normally need captains in the archer units, while nice they are very pricey and don't often get their points back (god I think I just killed the English language). If you did that and picked up 3 companies of black guard you could also **** the captain form the Easterling pikemen over into a captain for the Black Gaurd making them a pretty hard hitting unit, and you would still have a Dragon Knight in each of the Chorts.
    It SHALL be done! Thank you for your help! I will edit the list momentarily!

Considering in their entry they have heavy armour, I assume it will still be alright to use regular Fighting Uruk Hai (as I do have some) and as for the left over models, yes. But a friend of mine is building a Rohan army, and allied Isengard pikemen might not be so bad later on when I expand to 2000pts eh?

Edit: I end up with 20 points to spare....now where would a drummer be the best? I guess the Black Guard!
    Last edited by Dragon Knight Of Rhun; 08-03-2009 at 02:21 PM.