BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

The biggest issue is they are slow and thus require a Land Raider, and even then, if you want a dedicated assault unit you are far better going for Honour Guard instead. Particularly for Imperial Fists, cracking tanks at range shouldn't be an issue, certainly not to require Assault Centurions.
    Check out my blog!
    http://imperatorguides.blogspot.com.au/

Brother-Captain

Honor guard are definitely a good assault choice. But not an AP2 buster like these guys. They'd certainly make a mess of small groups of meganobs etc.
    I agree delivery is an issue. Can you fly them in? Not got my codex to hand.
    As for buildings and the like frankly I don't think you can do better than assault centurions BUT, and this is a big qualifier, they aren't fast to get there. So I have to agree with L2Eel on that point.
    Any chapter traits get them looking better? (i'm not 100% new dex compliant yet)

Ironhands ones at least get FNP(6+), that's a boon.

Salamanders ones don't really get much benefit even WITH He'stan.
    Although a MC Grav-cannon on the sarge is pretty sweet.
    Wolfman of the Horsepack of Derailment
    The artist formerly known as "WTF you can't say that!"

Quote Originally Posted by Learn2Eel View Post
    if you want a dedicated assault unit
    I'm going to keep saying this, because it seems like people aren't listening; Assault Centurions are not a dedicated assault unit! You can tell because they have a bunch of guns!

Quote Originally Posted by Learn2Eel View Post
    cracking tanks at range shouldn't be an issue, certainly not to require Assault Centurions.
    Huh? Assault Centurions aren't for long range?

Quote Originally Posted by Chris*ta View Post
    Huh? Assault Centurions aren't for long range?
    I believe what he meant is "Imperial Fists should easily be able to kill tanks with ranged attacks, and therefore they do not need to rely upon something marginal like charging a tank with Assault Centurions for their anti-armor needs."
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

Veteran-Sergeant

The everyone I mentioned are the SM players in my local area. I don't think a single one of us like the assault version.
    Everyone quickly became a much small number, and you're not even sure of their opinions...interesting.

I would love to see a Riptide smash into Assualt Tubbies and squish one, run away...and then get blasted by Melta guns...I might start crying I would be laughing so hard whether I was playing or just observing. More power to you though I would totally throw CC Centurions at your examples because they would get to shoot them and go first in CC in most of those examples. Not saying they're always going to come out on top or that they're a 'perfect' CC unit, but 'rubbish'? Come on now

Any chapter traits get them looking better? (i'm not 100% new dex compliant yet)

Ironhands ones at least get FNP(6+), that's a boon.
    The Iron Hands Sgt. also likes It Will Not Die, Kap. I also think IF Tubbies with Tank Hunter are pretty kewl regardless of not being able to reroll 1's with the twin linked weapons. I don't have the SM codex with me so I'm drawing a blank beyond that right now.

Very interested in hearing about people's experiences with both fielding/fighting against both types of Tubbies in the near future. Some good examples already starting to pop up in this thread even. I'm definitely going to be picking up a couple boxes to add to my Iron Hands force!

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by biffster666 View Post
    I would love to see a Riptide smash into Assualt Tubbies and squish one, run away...and then get blasted by Melta guns...I might start crying I would be laughing so hard whether I was playing or just observing. More power to you though I would totally throw CC Centurions at your examples because they would get to shoot them and go first in CC in most of those examples. Not saying they're always going to come out on top or that they're a 'perfect' CC unit, but 'rubbish'? Come on now.
    Least the Riptide has an invul save...and more wounds...
    http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?52423-The-Blood-Pact-Chaos-Homebrew-Supplement&p=472214&viewfull=1#post472214

Quote Originally Posted by biffster666 View Post
    I would totally throw CC Centurions at your examples because they would get to shoot them and go first in CC in most of those examples. Not saying they're always going to come out on top or that they're a 'perfect' CC unit, but 'rubbish'?
    How do they go first against things like: Swarmlord/Hive Tyrant; Demon Prince; Bloodthirster. All of which are capable of killing them without breaking a sweat. Against the other things Draigostar, Nob Bikers you do realize that almost all if not all your attacks are bouncing off them and then you are dying right? I don't see how you can take a "close assault unit" seriously when it dies to anything remotely considered good. Might they be a nifty unit to try in a non-competitive setting. But don't try and sell them as actually good.

And who cares if they can have a couple of meltaguns. It'll take you forever to get anywhere to use them. Unless again you are taking a Land Raider as a transport that they are totally reliant upon to do anything. A unit that requires their transport to not die to have an impact on the game is at the very best not good. I stick by that they are rubbish.

Also in my example with the Riptide, best case you only lose one. Worst case I hit with all three attacks and stomp the whole squad. With a 3+ invul I'm not really scared of a couple of meltaguns either.

Chapter-Master

If you're not I5+, you're slow in assault, and if you're slow in assault you'd better be durable. Durable means having some sort of protection from Instant Death (Eternal Warrior is best, T5 is only mediocre because there's a lot of Str 10 assault out there) and a good invulnerable save, or 2+ armor and at least a 4++. Lacking an Invulnerable Save and Eternal Warrior, there are only a few things that Assault Centurions are better against than THSS Terminators, and THSS Terminators can still handle those few things pretty well generally, or SMs have a different answer to them.

They're not terrible, but they're not particularly good either.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    If you're not I5+, you're slow in assault, and if you're slow in assault you'd better be durable. Durable means having some sort of protection from Instant Death (Eternal Warrior is best, T5 is only mediocre because there's a lot of Str 10 assault out there) and a good invulnerable save, or 2+ armor and at least a 4++. Lacking an Invulnerable Save and Eternal Warrior, there are only a few things that Assault Centurions are better against than THSS Terminators, and THSS Terminators can still handle those few things pretty well generally, or SMs have a different answer to them.

They're not terrible, but they're not particularly good either.
    Pretty much.
    They excel at a single role not filled by any units in marines currently.
    Splattering I3 walkers without getting hit back.
    That is all.
    They're better VS vehicles and buildings than CC termies but VERY similar to shooty termies.
    They have a role, just not one that isn't filled just as well elsewhere.
    But thematically they're awesome, and in Zone Mortalis or boarding games where there are restricted LsOS and weapon ranges they come into their own. Here the combination of firepower output on a small unit and heavy hitting is fantastic.
    Wolfman of the Horsepack of Derailment
    The artist formerly known as "WTF you can't say that!"

Quote Originally Posted by Kaptain Badrukk View Post
    They're better VS vehicles and buildings than CC termies but VERY similar to shooty termies
    By "VERY similar" do you mean "a lot better than"? If shooty terminators all had chainfists, an extra point of Strength and didn't have unwieldy, they'd be very similar ... oh, and if the terminators had frags, too ...

I still think people aren't really understanding the best use of Assault Centurions. They're a short-range shooting unit, who are pretty good in assault, not a dedicated assault unit. If they pick their targets well, there's relatively little that can frighten someone with a 2+ save that hits at initiative 4.

Page 9 of 10 FirstFirst ... 78910 LastLast