BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast
    Scout

Just playing devils advocate here, but maybe GW has changed the "theme" of the new Necrons from lets say an Egyptian style to a Pre-Columbian Aztecian style? Those ornate Necron lords looks like they could fit in with the Warhammer Lizardmen!

Hey, in Dawn of War (GW inspired anyways) the Necrons were building obelisks for strategic points. Obelisks where not only Egyptian but other cultures built them too.

Maybe someone could get the info straight from GW?

Iron Father

I see your point about "pop culture" but not everyone has a degree in egyptology. The Necrons display enough similarities to TK now. Open your eyes Eldargal
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Chapter-Master

I'm with Eldargal on this one, the Necrons are not specifically egyptian, they have a mixture of various real world inspirations, so saying they are egyptian is like saying the Empire are German. Sure there is some inspiration there, but also from a bunch of other places as well, not least from Hollywood.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlift View Post

I see your point about "pop culture" but not everyone has a degree in egyptology. The Necrons display enough similarities to TK now. Open your eyes Eldargal
    I'm pretty sure that is not an authentic ancient egyptian picture.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Iron Father

Quote Originally Posted by Wildeybeast View Post
    I'm pretty sure that is not an authentic ancient egyptian picture.
    I did say "pop culture" lol

Librarian

I think the arguments about Egypt vs Mesopotamia miss the point somewhat. Either way, they are an alien culture that is clearly based on a pre-existing ancient civilisation, which is like pretty much every Fantasy Battle army. Necrons should be (along with Tyranids) an army with no WHFB analog.

However, by clearly making them Tomb Kings (and that is, after all, the culture that are truly based on, regardless of the real-world cultural inspiration), there's something a little... rubbish, if I'm honest. Does no-one else see the somewhat bizarre disconnect - GW gets rid of Squats to avoid the fantasy connection, but sticks in undead? How does having a direct and obvious fantasy analog help differentiate your product? Unless of course, Squats are reintroduced as a Tau-affiliate (or, heaven help us, the Adeptus Mechanicus *shiver*. There was that old AdMech Squat after all... )

Why would an army of robots limit themselves to human sized robots? Why would they look human at all? I was hoping for more of a Matrix thing (if Tyranids are insects + dinosaurs, then Necrons are robots + octopodae). Still, the deathmarks and immortals look good.

Scout

They are based on Atlantians...Case Closed!!!!

Necrons seem based on all the 'ancient world' imo. Those Arks look more Byzantine / Greek, the Lords Arab/Byzantine nobles or Orthodox Patriarchs. The list goes on... warriors are easily reminiscent of Chinese Golems (clay and metallic men) as they were said to rise up should the land ever be invaded, while Egyptian guards were for that tomb only.

I like what I see, but wont be getting any when they first come out, as my current two armies take up enough room.

Librarian

Wayland have got the models up for preorder.

Are they trying to piss gw off?
    "I Have Become Death the Destroyer of Worlds"

Iron Father

Quote Originally Posted by Morgan Darkstar View Post
    Wayland have got the models up for preorder.

Are they trying to piss gw off?
    They are tagged as being (as you have said) 'Pre-Order Only: This item will be shipped when released to us by the supplier' and I dont think they would want to piss GW off to much or they wont get any. Personally as much as I like Waylands prices I have found their shipping to be a little slow. I usually get stuff from GW in 1-2 working days. I like that

Their price lists though gives me a good indication of how much I will likly spend lol, I notice they don't have the codex up for pre-order though.
    Last edited by Deadlift; 10-15-2011 at 05:59 AM.

Page 12 of 16 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 ... LastLast