BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 24 of 38 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast
    Librarian

Only 4 riptide a can't you get 16 at double FOC chart already?

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Lucidum View Post
    You guys seriously still don’t get that GW DOESN’T INTEND FOR THIS GAME TO BE COMPETITIVE.
    But they do intend it to be FUN right?

My friend Triumphus walked into his new LGS this weekend with his necron balanced army. no immortals, no wraiths, about the most broken thing he had in his list was a C'Tan.

First game he plays was against a dude with a screamerstar list (who was cheating too but thats besides the point). How is this fun for him? How is it fun for anyone, competitive or not, to have a system that actually incentivizes people figuring out a way to break the game. The GW article pasted above even glorifies it. "I've been looking forward to having a list of nothing but Maulerfiends, HelDrakes and Defilers!" "My buddy is looking forwards to fielding all 4 of his riptides".

I've played grudgingly against those types of lists. I dont find it fun. Unfortunately its getting harder and harder to find games against like minded people as me who feel the need to exercise some self-restraint in Army Builder.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

You guys seriously still don’t get that GW DOESN’T INTEND FOR THIS GAME TO BE COMPETITIVE.
    This game is competitive by its nature. You count VP and at the end of the game there is a winner.
    Its no cooperative game where you try to achieve victory over a set system (like Arkahm Horror) or a gamemaster (like Descent).
    If GW didnt intend for this game to be played in competition, it would be a game with a cooperation victory.

Librarian

Quick thought if the game gets a new objective and no longer has a kill all models to win and you get dynamic objectives then those 5 riptide lists will be terrible.

Chapter-Master

Just totalled it up.

27 war walkers in 2k points.

or

8 Wraithknights.

or

12 Wraithlords.

Yup.
    I have never made but one prayer to God, a very short one: "O Lord make my enemies ridiculous." And God granted it. --Voltaire

Quote Originally Posted by lattd View Post
    Quick thought if the game gets a new objective and no longer has a kill all models to win and you get dynamic objectives then those 5 riptide lists will be terrible.
    Not really. Killing units is never a terrible option. If you have no units on the table you cant compete for "dynamic" objectives.
    2nd problem will be the "scoring units". If they want to promote the "you can take freely all units you want!", then all units have to be scoring somehow. Or your Maulerfiend, Drake and Defiler List is going to lose from start.
    Which basically means broken units just got more powerful.

Veteran-Sergeant

You seem to be mistaking two players pitting a force against each other for being deliberately meant for tournament play. The two aren’t mutually exclusive. You can play Call of Duty against other people without it being a tournament dependent on different rules and balance.
    By The Brass Balls of Khorne- http://khornesbrassballs.blogspot.com

You seem to be mistaking two players pitting a force against each other for being deliberately meant for tournament play. The two aren’t mutually exclusive. You can play Call of Duty against other people without it being a tournament dependent on different rules and balance.
    Indeed, there can be a winner without the game being competitive, when I play, I play to make sure myself and my opponent have as much fun as possible, I don't do things I feel my army wouldn't do and try to use my units how the fluff would have them act, I honestly don't care at the end if I won or lost.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by lattd View Post
    Tabling your opponent always wins. Or at least it used to. Not sure about it anymore.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Asterion View Post
    Indeed, there can be a winner without the game being competitive, when I play, I play to make sure myself and my opponent have as much fun as possible, I don't do things I feel my army wouldn't do and try to use my units how the fluff would have them act, I honestly don't care at the end if I won or lost.
    Here here
    By The Brass Balls of Khorne- http://khornesbrassballs.blogspot.com

Page 24 of 38 FirstFirst ... 14222324252634 ... LastLast