BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast
    Banned

Trying to curry good will from the community after the FineCast/embargo/price rise fiasco by bringing it out early?

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    I've heard that theory, I find it bizarre that GW would go to all that effort to do something for a tournament scene they really don't care for that much. They could just make a tournament rule saying no allies.
    The only precedent I can think of os fantasy warriors of chaos where a new book (daemons) had new rules for models that already existed and GW didn't want two sets of rules for the same unit so the did a quick fix list and replaced it soon after.

The parallel here is grey knights and henchmen but this new faith system feels like a lot of effort just to replace the henchmen.

Speaking of Faith, you get D6 faith points per turn, each unit has special Acts of Faith with ICs bringing theirs to squads. One SC lets you reroll the FP D6. Faith points work on a roll of 5+, with up to three extra points added to the roll for squad leader, IC presence or casualty taken. I'm hoping there is wargear that gives you extra faith points or something.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

First-Captain

In other words you get hosed on faith. A 5+ really, but I guess that stops the two cannoness squads that can auto pass on some faith and use lit of faith to use powers that don't auto pass. Although it seems like as long as you don't roll a 1 your HQ will be good. With martyrdoom and having faithful units I could have enough faith to spare. With d6 faith a turn that can hurt, also if it stacks towards next turn that would be great.

Veteran-Sergeant
    That would make it too easy for the Imperial Assassins

Acts of Faith won't be nearly as good, no. Before, with a little care, it wasn't hard to control and rely on using them when you need them. With this, they become more unreliable, not to mention harder to stack, as even with the Command Squad only needing a 3+ or 2+ to succeed, there's still the issue of just how many points you rolled, and a couple bad rolls can leave you without any faith powers active at all during a crucial turn. Interesting note: Seraphim can reroll their Acts of Faith rolls I saw.

I won't go into too many details, but I'll note a few things that stood out to me. Some interesting stuff, no "new" special characters, but Kyrinov and Jacobus are back. One part that really stood out to me was the vehicle entries: ALL OF THEM have Shield of Faith listed. That's the rule that gives a 6++, so Immolators, Rhinos, and the Exorcist all have a 6++ (actually pretty much everything has a 6++).

Sisters Repentia also have NO ARMOR SAVE. Also, no Frateris Militia per se, but there is a Battle Conclave, which is a squad that may contain Archo-Flagellants, Crusaders, and/or Death Cult Assassins.

I dunno what to really say about it all. We're still missing stuff like Wargear, but some of this is interesting. It will help to see the points too, but aside from faith nothing seems terribly new. The faith will be the biggest issue, as it will require vast adaptation to adjust the armies and strategies to fit it.

Abbess Sanctorum

Suffice it to say, Every Single Bad Thing I've had to say about this codex was absolutely right. They aren't even releasing plastics-- the codex just re-used old miniatures, art, and photos of miniatures from previous codices. No new units, three units were merged into one unit (crusaders, arco-flagellants, death cult are now one squad type where you purchase X amount of each). A couple old characters from second edition brought back; Kyrinov looks incredibly generic and not actually all that helpful to the army, but Jacobus shows promise and looks to be powerful enough to justify taking. Seraphim and Celestians have been nerfed to I3. All units have precisely ONE Act of faith and pretty much all of them suck except for the Repentia power. Which is useless if they're killed in shooting (like they usually are) instead of in assault. Acts of Faith no longer scale with army size, you get D6 no matter how many units you have-- making Battle Sisters all the worse for it. Immolators lost their fire point and the ability to fire after moving full out with TLHFs, so now they really are just razorbacks. And useless.

Only a few good notes: Bolt pistols and frag/krak are standard. Shield of Faith applies to vehicles, and they get smoke for free (but no searchlights). Seraphim shoot with each pistol individually, but they lose their special hit and run rule and must now make initiative tests to use hit and run... at their new reduced initiative of I3. The Penitent Engine gets extra attacks for unsaved wounds it makes, so it hits harder, but it's still AV11 open topped so it'll again not actually make it into combat anyway, especially since it's now slower than in the previous codex (holy rage was superior to rage). Celestians gain an extra attack, but their act of faith sucks for assaulting (+1 strength is nice, but fearless ISN'T on I3 / T3 models). Canoness gains +1 WS, but with the loss of the armoury I doubt we'll be able to use it--a nd she's still merely I4. Living Saint Celestine gains in WS, BS, and Initiative, but she's still a T3 model without eternal warrior. Her sword' wounds easier against high T models... which to her is anything other than a guardsman, whom she wounds LESS often now than before. And it's no longer master-crafted.

So every single good thing I had to say about it was countered by a bad thing. Overall, I was right, it does blow JUST as much as I was expecting... but I'm still sorely disappointed about that fact. And the sad part, it's not over yet. Now we get to see what stupid points costs they're going to give and waht we lost from losing our armoury.
    Last edited by Melissia; 07-23-2011 at 04:14 PM.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Grailkeeper View Post
    Is Laud hailer a simple typo or a clever play on words? Edit: likely to be a play on words [url]http://www.merriam-webster.com/dictionary/laud[/url]

Also those models have the old style SOB power armour, my understanding was (I could be wrong) that it was going to be updated and slightly.
    It's always been a laud hailer, nothing new there. A giant Speaker Spouting out praises to the Emperor, thus Laud Hailer is correct.

Abbess Sanctorum

As for the models? Duh, of course they have the old style models. They aren't releasing plastic with this ****ty codex.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

So if one were interested in seeing the rest and judging for oneself where (in theory) would that person go to see the rest of this?
    I'm thinking it'd probably turn out more like Daleks playing Quiddich. "It is the Potter!! EXTERMINATE! EXTERMINATE! " (someone I know on twitter)

Abbess Sanctorum

Go buy this month's White Dwarf and then next month's too.

Page 2 of 47 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast