BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast
    Occuli Imperator

With relation to loading, Birmingham introduced 24hr licenses (which is quite a big deal as there are still areas of Birmingham without any pubs owing to the Quaker influence when Birmingham boomed at the heart of the industrial revolution) and the idea behind that was to stop the last orders surge where people buy lots and then all leave the pubs at the same time and meet up with others from pubs and riotousness, I do not believe that changing the opening hours did have an effect on the overall drunk and disorderly rates
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master

it's because the pubs didn't behave how they thought they would and stagger the closing, they all just pushed it back to one or two AM, and simply pushed the existing issue later.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Occuli Imperator

Well aside from the exodus at 11 still happens as people are rushing to get the last train/'bus
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master

So at least they don't have to contend with drunks...

Occuli Imperator

In an interesting similar note:
    [url]http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-wales-south-east-wales-20669062[/url]

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    I think the problem is the smoking ban. If I was a smoker and had to go stand outside for a faag everytime I wanted one I probably would consider a night in instead.
    I really don't see why they can't have smoking rooms, as long as they specify they must be smaller than the main room. you wouldn't even need a bar in there, you can make the smokers walk through to the main room to get served...

or why not go the other way, and lower pub prices, so the idiots don't "pre-load", then when they start to feel it maybe they'll stop drinking rather than suddenly have it hit them all at once
    As a smoker, the ban doesn't both me in the slightest. Pub is much nicer without the constant tobacco smog. Sure it's an inconvenience in poor weather, but hey, it's my addicition and thus my problem.

As for Dogs...I think part of that is the publican themselves. My local (They do Discworld theme nights. How awesome?) are more than happy for mutts to come in, as long as just like any other patron, they're well behaved and don't cause any trouble. Ditto with kids.

But as others are saying...minimum price per unit does NOTHING to help the Pubs. They are still having their back broken by a disgusting, and increasing level of tax. Supermarkets will still be able to offer a knock down rate, because they make their profit elsewhere. What we need to see, ideally, is a higher rate of tax not on the publican, but the off license. Offies cannot exert control over someones drinking habits in the same way a responsible publican can. Once I've made my purchase, it's kind of taken on faith that a) it's for me, not some kid b) If I've bought a lot it's for sharing c) The bottles will be recycled without a trip to someone's face first.

Pubs are not, and have never really been the source of binge drinking. The government really needs to stop trying to claim that all are equally guilty.

So, here is my conceptual idea.......

1) Tax is increased on alcohol not sold for consumption on premises.
    2) Duty and Tax rebate for responsible Publicans who ensure no problems stem from their Pub.
    3) Roll out Cardiff's plan across the nation to assist with point 2.
    4) Immediate reduction in Tax and Duty for pub bought and consumed drinks. They support a ridiculous number of workers, not to mention communities
    5) Micro Breweries exempt from duty on small production runs. Let the pishy foreign muck take the tax!
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Chapter-Master

That's still punishing the vast majority of responsible drinkers.
    We had cheap alcohol available for longer than the pubs have been in decline. I'd say it's the tax at the pump and the smoking ban, combined with entertainment and music licensing (apparently it now only takes one anonymous objection to get an event cancelled) that is hurting pubs.

As a non-smoker I agree it's you addiction and problem, but again I really don't see the issue preventing smoking rooms as long as they have to be smaller than the main room...

example
    The village I went to comp in had 12-14 pubs when I started, (supermarkets already sold cheap booze at this time)
    by the time I left(@18) it was down to 7.
    ten years later it's now down to 3-4

the supermarkets haven't really changed their pricing.
    but the tax has increased and smoking ban have appeared...
    Last edited by Psychosplodge; 12-12-2012 at 08:18 AM.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post

As a non-smoker I agree it's you addiction and problem, but again I really don't see the issue preventing smoking rooms as long as they have to be smaller than the main room...
    The issue is employees. Whilst non-smoking customers have a choice about going into a smoking room, employees don't. The smoking ban is designed to protect employees, not customers. As a non-smoker and former barman, the smoking ban was the best thing that ever happened to pubs.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Chapter-Master

i would write in to my local mp but i dont think that would be too well recived :P
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzbuket View Post
    i would write in to my local mp but i dont think that would be too well recived :P
    You're too young to vote, therefore your local MP gives even less of a toss about your opinion than that of people that can vote.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Page 5 of 8 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast