BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 50 of 71 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast
    Chapter-Master

[url]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-AE63BCL8RvM/U3nhqiTsX6I/AAAAAAAADdU/fmZCEhOODvA/s1600/2xlTR.jpg[/url]

From GW.

Apparantly everyone except Nids and Grey knights can have Malific demon powers (and deamons get a bonus in being less likely to perils)

Likewise, everyone cept Nids and Deamons has access to Santic (and GK get a similar bonus).

Some deamons and GK get fluffy boosts, Nids get screwed...again

But GW has a cautionary word on that. You should think twice about casting deamonolgy powers if they don't match your armies fluff. Cos people might look at you bad. Thats the extent of balencing going on here then....
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Librarian

Quote Originally Posted by DrLove42 View Post

But GW has a cautionary word on that. You should think twice about casting deamonolgy powers if they don't match your armies fluff. Cos people might look at you bad. Thats the extent of balencing going on here then....
    How is it that Nids are getting screwed by not having access to a power that it would make absolutely NO sense for them to have?

That's like saying Eldar get screwed by not getting Baneblades put in their Codex. It would make no sense.

Quote Originally Posted by DrBored View Post
    How is it that Nids are getting screwed by not having access to a power that it would make absolutely NO sense for them to have?

That's like saying Eldar get screwed by not getting Baneblades put in their Codex. It would make no sense.
    I think that the fear is that with being limited to Codex powers only, the Nid power table will not keep pace with perceived power creep among powers.

Yes, the Malefic Daemonology chart is strong, but it's also going to eat a lot of dice, so you'll have a psyker heavy daemon force only getting a couple powers off a turn if they're going greedy. Even if they don't they'll probably be getting fewer flickering fire powers each turn as well.

In all, casting has gotten harder, and exponenetially so for ML2+ powers. Nids are not as affected because most of their powers are ML1 and they will generally have enough dice to get what they want off.

I'm a nid player and I'm excited for the Magic, I mean, Psyker phase.
    My Hobby Blog: http://ftgtgaming.blogspot.com/

Chaplain

Well everyone else gets two new disciplines or one discipline and a bonus while Nids get nothing new.

Sense or no sense I'm sure you can spot the disparity there.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Erik Setzer View Post
    You counter it EXACTLY the same way. If I have an Ork Slugga Boy swarm, it doesn't have that much to counter shooting, except, like you said, getting in there and hitting them in the face.

And you know how it counters psykers? Get in there and hit them in the face.

Psykers are basically like shooty units. It's not like you can roll some dice and say, "Ha, that unit's shooting attack doesn't happen this turn!"

Your answer makes no sense...virtually everything has individual protection from shooty and stabby bits...it's called a cover/armor save. A smaller combined dice pool with a harder success requirement is not a very effective counter. The current Deny mechanic gave everyone an individual counter to psykic powers that did have a small change of success, but it couldn't the exhausted. Dice pools can. Leading to psyker heavy armies just casting crap to empty the pool then cast everything else unopposed.

So no...you don't counter it the same way...
    When you hear hoof-beats, it's best to think horses not zebras.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by DrLove42 View Post
    [url]http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-AE63BCL8RvM/U3nhqiTsX6I/AAAAAAAADdU/fmZCEhOODvA/s1600/2xlTR.jpg[/url]

From GW.

Apparantly everyone except Nids and Grey knights can have Malific demon powers (and deamons get a bonus in being less likely to perils)

Likewise, everyone cept Nids and Deamons has access to Santic (and GK get a similar bonus).

So the balancing factor is the scorn of your social peers? Because that works SO well. :/ Maybe some creative uses of a ballpeen hammer is also required.

The power makes no sense for lots of armies to have it. If that is your basis, they are indeed getting screwed.

Quote Originally Posted by hisdudeness View Post
    Your answer makes no sense...virtually everything has individual protection from shooty and stabby bits...it's called a cover/armor save. A smaller combined dice pool with a harder success requirement is not a very effective counter. The current Deny mechanic gave everyone an individual counter to psykic powers that did have a small change of success, but it couldn't the exhausted. Dice pools can. Leading to psyker heavy armies just casting crap to empty the pool then cast everything else unopposed.

So no...you don't counter it the same way...
    Why should you feel the need to empty your dicepool to counterspell "crap"?
    Casting damage powers was almost never really worth (apart from a far few spells). You needed your Ld check, then you still need to hit, to wound and wait for save/cover.
    That doesnt change. Except for the Ld test. Why do you ever want to deny, say... executioner and mindwar when both can even fail after a successful cast (not to mention that this is gonna drain your dice pretty fast) when blocking Fortune or Guide is so much more important/dangerous?

Chapter-Master

Personally, the limitations on both Santic Daemon summoning are really disappointing. I love the idea of morally grey characters conjuring Daemonic hordes for ostensibly pure ideals. I love the idea of totally pure characters contending with this complex world. And... both the psychic powers that embody that are probably really dumb ideas to actually use on the table, unless I play Grey Knights or Daemons. Damnit!

I see where they're coming from, but it's an annoying choice that bans me from really digging into two of my favorite themes.
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Charon View Post
    Why should you feel the need to empty your dicepool to counterspell "crap"?
    Casting damage powers was almost never really worth (apart from a far few spells). You needed your Ld check, then you still need to hit, to wound and wait for save/cover.
    That doesnt change. Except for the Ld test. Why do you ever want to deny, say... executioner and mindwar when both can even fail after a successful cast (not to mention that this is gonna drain your dice pretty fast) when blocking Fortune or Guide is so much more important/dangerous?
    Why? Because the crap powers could still mess your army and the psyker heavy army would have the dice to waste. Cast a number of weaker/lower powers, then once the opponents dice pool is low/empty cast that higher level power. Pretty simple tactic used in many games.
    When you hear hoof-beats, it's best to think horses not zebras.

Page 50 of 71 FirstFirst ... 40484950515260 ... LastLast