BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Why do you play that?

Everyone has their own reasons for deciding on one army over another. Personally, I chose Menoth because I thought the Exemplar Bastions looked amazing. So I went and read each factions fluff in the MkII Rule Book, the idea of playing a certifiably insane bunch of fanatics was really appealing. There is no doubt in them, they are a single purpose bunch of crazies. Just my kind of army... (I play Orks in 40k if that tells you anything)

What I wanted to know was... what got you interested in your chosen faction? What made you want to play Cygnar or Trolls or Everblight? Did they look cool? Did their play style appeal to you? Or did you just throw a dart at the map?
    Favorite Team Mate - 40k Narrative (Heresy) WARGames Con 2013
    Favorite Player - 40k Narrative (Armageddon) WARGames Con 2011
    Favorite Opponent - Warmachine Steamroller - WARGames Con 2010

I actually started playing Menoth in Mk I because I thought the idea of FIRE EVERYWHERE was kinda cool. After a short play period, I discovered that Mk I was a little too ridiculous for my tastes, where people could win by turn 2 and griped about how it was a better game than 40k.

This past year I got much more interested in Mk II because I heard people saying how much better the game was, how the game was balanced again and largely more fun. I watched lots of games, listening intently, and seeing how people played their armies. I was hooked again because I saw that it really WAS balanced.

I took a look again at armies and I LOVED the idea of Circle constructs - even moreso when I saw the full breadth of their model line. Now, I'm a proud owner of 60+ points of Circle constructs (and Baldur, of course!) and I have a lot of fun with the army!

Since then, however, I had fallen in love with Cygnar - in particular the storm tower model. I loved the stormsmith models and as a scientist, I loved the idea of stormsmiths calling lightning down from the sky! After doing some research, I decided to run an eNemo list with a bunch of stormsmiths and I have tons of fun with the army every time I play it! I feel so epic every time I stormcall and I even wear goggles sometimes when I play... wait, did I say that out loud?

Battle-Brother

4 reasons for me (I play menoth as well)

1. White and red are my favorite colors

2. I LOVE all the robes the models have, love painting cloth

3. FIRE, BURN THE HERETIC!!!!!

4. I seem to have a thing for the religious armies, I play empire for fantasy, theming it mainly based on religious factions (Ulric, Sigmar, Ursus, Taal), and Black Templars for 40k.

First-Captain

I swore I'd never play an additional game for years. 40k sucked up too much time & money.

Then in '03 I was at Gencon, and got suckered into a demo game of WM. It was just fantastic. My buddies were already involved (Cygnar, Cryx & Khador) and Menoth just didn't quite gel with me.

So the PP guy after the game was like "Psst."

Me: Hmm?

PP: I've got something you might want to see.

Me: Uh, sorry dude, I don't swing that way.

PP: No, not that--you need to check this out--it's not released yet.

Me: (phew) Oh, miniatures. Good. What'cha got?

PP: We're going to be releasing this new mercenary warcaster/group. He's kinda anti-Cygnar--a rebel genius on the run.

Me: Nice.

PP: And he has an arcnode jack with a giant buzzsaw and a 1 shot tac nuke.

Me: Sold!

It didn't even have a box yet. They sold in in little plastic baggies.

Illicit gaming minis, there's nothing quite like it.

My buddies have been loathing Mags ever since.

I've since dabbled in Cygnar and Circle...but at heart, I'm Merc through and through.

Chaplain

I'm a hyper-violent, heretic burning, witch hunting, religious zealot! Need I say more?
    You think running with scissors is dangerous? Try sky diving with them!

Grand Provost Marshal

I really like the direction that PP went with Mercenaries, and I love their take on the dwarf archetype, so I play mostly Highborn Covenant and Searforge Commission. The models are great, the rules are well done, and I have flexibility of build like almost no other army.

Now with Farrow and Gatormen getting armies, I'm taking models I've liked for a long time, but now have good MKII rules, and are getting their own armies.

I think the relative popularity of Malifaux has really pushed PP to further develop the farrow and gatormen units. Overall, I'm in love with the number of PP releases this year and rumored for the future. They're really pumping out rules and models at pace that really matches well with contemporary expectations. I think that in the long run, PP has a good chance of beating out GW just because of their release schedule.

Grand Provost Marshal

Quote Originally Posted by whitestar333 View Post
    I think the relative popularity of Malifaux has really pushed PP to further develop the farrow and gatormen units.
    I'm not calling shenanigans, or anything like that, but how exactly did you arrive at such a conclusion?

Brother-Sergeant

For the most part, I choose armies based on playstyle.

I first started Khador way back in the days of the black and white Prime because I liked the melee-centric, smash-your-face playstyle. At the time, my army in Warhammer Fantasy was High Elves, and changing from their mobile/agile playstyle was appealing. I eventually got rid of my Khador because I just don't like the resource management game that comes with Focus.

When Hordes came along I read and re-read the No Quarter that described all the factions and had the little bar lines to show how good each faction was in different areas. Everblight really appealed to me tactically, and I like(d) dragons.

Now, I'm starting up Skorne because I like the synergistic approach they have, along with the possibility to field multiple multi-wound infantry units. They can also do the smashy-game like Khador, but have Fury, which I find much more fun.

Lux

Fly Lord

I play Old Witch because I did some study of Baba Yaga in college, and I've always had an attachment to old folklore. I saw the Old Witch and Scrapjack model, and couldn't turn away.

It's almost like she chose me...creepy...
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast