BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    First-Captain

Default And...THIS is why soccer (football) is effing crazy

A 20 year old ref argues with, and then ejects a 31 year old player in a Brazillian game.

They get into a fight.

The ref...the REF pulls a small knife and fatally stabs the player. (The fatality has not yet been confirmed, iirc.)

Now, if that wasn't insane enough...

The family and friends of the player STORM. THE. FIELD. Restrain the ref.

Then proceed to Stone. Him. To. Death.

Then...THEN...they quarter the body (wtf, is this the Middle Ages?!?) and plant the Ref's HEAD on a frikkin STAKE in the middle of the field.

You don't see that kinda crazy in American football or baseball, kids.

He'll, not even boxing or MMA.

Occuli Imperator

Worryingly it is not the only example of violence towards referres, nor the only death.

Perhaps one thing to bear in mind is the level of violence that we normally see in Brazil, for many people being a soccer star is the only way out of abject poverty and playing in one of the European leagues with an obscene salary.

Quote Originally Posted by Bill Shankly
    Someone said to me 'To you football is a matter of life or death!' and I said 'Listen, it's more important than that'.
    I wonder how much of this violence is representative of a rejection of traditional authority figures in society?

We had a number of tennis players arguing with the umpire during Wimbeldon.

Maybe if we made sport less important people wouldn't get so het up about it and just remember it is a game, played for enjoyment.
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Iron Father

Don't worry Scad, Sunday morning kick about and pub leagues are still safe enough ......most of the time.
    Sounds like blood bowl.
    Last edited by Deadlift; 07-08-2013 at 02:15 AM.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Chapter-Master

You've got your brackets back to front.

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

I understand enjoying playing sport, watching people play a sport you play and watching people you know playing sport. I don't understand the fascination with people who never play sport acting like it is some kind of religious experience to watch a bunch of overpaid young idiots kick a ball around or whatever. I get the entertainment value, but worshiping them and in extreme cases rioting or killing people is just silly.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Occuli Imperator

What do you mean, I am sure Barry Austin is off down the local sunday league each week:

Barry Austin at 50st, reputedly the heaviest man in the UK (formerly) and devout Bluenose
    Fan of Fuggles | Derailment of the Wolfpack of Horsemen | In girum imus nocte et consumimur igni

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    I understand enjoying playing sport, watching people play a sport you play and watching people you know playing sport. I don't understand the fascination with people who never play sport acting like it is some kind of religious experience to watch a bunch of overpaid young idiots kick a ball around or whatever. I get the entertainment value, but worshiping them and in extreme cases rioting or killing people is just silly.
    yup, I enjoy watching football, which often surprises my friends. Loved the federations cup, aside from the final, and looking forward to the world cup next year. I refused to have the sports channels on in my pub though, because of the arguments it causes.
    Twelve monkeys, eleven hats. One monkey is sad.

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Kirsten View Post
    yup, I enjoy watching football, which often surprises my friends. Loved the federations cup, aside from the final, and looking forward to the world cup next year. I refused to have the sports channels on in my pub though, because of the arguments it causes.
    I have this theory that its something about soccer that does this, maybe theres just not enough confrontation in the game and it just builds up and then after the spectators just go nuts.

But you don't generally see it on such a drastic and insane level in the spectators of other sports.

Take hockey, its one of the most violent games out their and yet the spectators are pretty well behaved. Or rugby same thing.

Mind you this view is from an auzzie
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by daboarder View Post

Take hockey, its one of the most violent games out their and yet the spectators are pretty well behaved.
    [URL="http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=canadian%20hockey%20riot&source=w eb&cd=2&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CDUQFjAB&url=https%3A%2 F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2F2011_Vancouver_Stanl ey_Cup_riot&ei=jrzbUfq7AsK80QXKjoC4Cg&usg=AFQjCNF0 cSQbR-r7YTGHL45e6UWqI9ko8Q&bvm=bv.48705608,d.d2k"]Really?[/URL]

However the process of robo-insemination is far too complex for the human mind!
    A knee high fence, my one weakness

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by Psychosplodge View Post
    [URL="http://www.google.co.uk/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=canadian%20hockey%20riot&source=w eb&cd=2&cad=rja&sqi=2&ved=0CDUQFjAB&url=https%3A%2 F%2Fen.wikipedia.org%2Fwiki%2F2011_Vancouver_Stanl ey_Cup_riot&ei=jrzbUfq7AsK80QXKjoC4Cg&usg=AFQjCNF0 cSQbR-r7YTGHL45e6UWqI9ko8Q&bvm=bv.48705608,d.d2k"]Really?[/URL]
    right, it must be an aussie thing then.
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast