BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Edit: Weird double post edit error.
    Last edited by eldargal; 07-05-2011 at 02:00 AM.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

I agree on that, need more variety. IA11 is a nice step in that direction but FW really need to put a moratorium on dreadnought, land raider, Ork and Guard kits for a year or so in my opinion. Enough is enough. This is the problem I have with the contemptor actually, a lovely model, but it is yet another dreadnought. This makes eleven dreadnought kits from FW alone.

Quote Originally Posted by Lockark View Post
    Ugh. As a chaos fan I could care less if it's Chaos Mariens or even more Traitor Guard stuff. I just want to see a Imperial Armour book that looks at Slaanesh and Tzeetch. I'm tired of seeing nothing but Nurgle and Khorne love from both GW and forgeworld in both 40k and fantasy.

=/

Could you imagine a Imperal Armour book that was Slaanesh Followers Vs. Craftworld Eldar? Now that would be a good grudge match!
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

*Looks back on the thread so far*

And you say Chaos isn't coming...

It's likely true in regards IA with Chaos Marines popping up. I LOVE the idea of Slaanesh Vs Eldar IA, that would be all kinds of awesome - having a Chaos Daemons Vs anything would also be brilliant.

Still, I'm just glad to have spotted something worth a quick natter really

Chapter-Master

@ Melissia - Here's the deal: You're just so damned negative all the time it that is obscures all the positive posts you do make and ocassionally gets to me. That was one of those times. For that, I apologize. Alpha personalities, coupled with the anonymity of the internet, make for silly shouting matches.

As for Chaos, IA, and the future of it all:

IA--I'd for one love to see an IA that didn't have an Imperial side. However, we've gotta realize that, if they do that, one of the forces will almost certainly be Chaos Marines or Traitor Guard. Those kits are the FW bread and butter. Every IA book thusfar has featured one of them. I have trouble thinking they're going to sway from that tried and true method.

Chaos--I'm a giant weenie and, for the most part, always play the good guy in everything from Video Games to tiny toy soldiers. However, if the released a high quality Chaos Legions Codex, or even gave us four different books (devoted to the four powers), I'd almost certainly pick up a small Thousand Sons contingent. I love their fluff oh so much, and that book would get me off the Emperor's nutsack, if only for a while.

Craftworlds--I'd be really interested in seeing this if they did a Codex:Craftworlds for Eldar. Quite frankly, I don't know much about them, so I'd be intrigued to read more.

I have to agree with Mellissa on this one. So far reading the HH, it is BAD, very BAD. Myabe I find it BAD is because it was so hyped up as being good, I can't get passed page 100 right now. So far it's not as good as people are claiming it to be. So now someone says something agaisnt it, people have to attack her now? Can't people have different opnions?

The funny thing I find about is people are attacking Mellissa, instead of actaully talking about Chaos. It finally seems (well rumoured) that GW is making the focus off SM and putting it into Choas. So it seems more people are actually more interested in Mellissa than GW. Now that is SAD attacking a fellow member instead of talking about the hobby.

Funny how people slag on Dakka Dakka but they seem more civil there than here. I don't see people attacking her personally as they do here. Pretty sad for BolS.
    What is the most important rule? That we should do whatever the hell we want, but preferably in the best interests of Games workshop when possible? :P Ill go with that

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by HsojVvad View Post
    I have to agree with Mellissa on this one. So far reading the HH, it is BAD, very BAD. Myabe I find it BAD is because it was so hyped up as being good, I can't get passed page 100 right now. So far it's not as good as people are claiming it to be. So now someone says something agaisnt it, people have to attack her now? Can't people have different opnions?
    What book are you reading?

And FWIW, you have no ground to stand on saying the HH Series is "very bad" if you've only read 100 pages of one book. I think this is a byproduct of our "have it now" society, but most good books build a narrative.

As you'll notice, the exposition BUILDs the narrative up to a climax. It's done purposefully. Books shouldn't be 30-second studs.

Abbess Sanctorum

If a book bores someone to the point where they simply cannot continue reading it even after getting through a sizable chunk of the book (one hundred pages is hardly a small amount for the average BL novel), where getting through each page is a mental struggle due to complete and utter lack of interest, how the F*** can you claim that this is a good book for that person?

"Oh it'll get better" is a pathetic excuse many novel and game fans provide for the really bad openings for their favorite novels/games... and my response is: so what if it MIGHT get better, MAYBE? It still sucks RIGHT NOW, why force oneself to be bored hoping that it might get better when you only have the assurances of rabid fans who are going to like it no matter what anyway?

Some people can't get past the first scenes of Lord of the Rings regarding Bilbo's going away party. Well, I suppose that means LotR just isn't the right type of book for them. That's okay. Everyone's tastes are different.
    Last edited by Melissia; 07-05-2011 at 10:35 AM.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

Iron Father

The thing with the HH books imo is because they are being written by a collective of authors, not everyone is going to be able to enjoy all the books. The difference in writing styles has varied greatly across the series. I have read them all, some I will never read again and some I have read more than once. But for anyone struggling with getting to grips with these books one thing worth mentioning is that most of the books are readable on their own. You could read for example "the flight of the eisenstein" without reading any other HH book and still be able to follow it's story completely. I personally really enjoyed the Thousand Sons and the Flight of the Eisenstein, I didn't enjoy Fulgrim or Alpha legion at all

As for more chaos marine stuff, well why not and I would love to see more FW chaos space marine conversions other than the death guard and world eaters they have now.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Melissia View Post
    Some people can't get past the first scenes of Lord of the Rings regarding Bilbo's going away party. Well, I suppose that means LotR just isn't the right type of book for them. That's okay. Everyone's tastes are different.
    Right. But why is this okay for Tolkien but not for the HH novels. Now, I'm not saying that the HH books are as good as Fellowship or whatever, but you can't have it one way for the HH books and then another way for the LotR books.

Having a slow beginning narrative doesn't make a book bad. The first 130-150 pages of both A Thousand Sons and Prospero Burns are slow, but they are both very, very good books. For a 400-500 page novel, the first 100 pages lies squarely in the exposition/builing narrative portion of a story, just beginning the rising action. The same can be said for most good, lengthy books. I've never understood the "slow = bad" point of view.

I never said it was a good book for him, merely that they are good books.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by wittdooley View Post

I never said it was a good book for him, merely that they are good books.
    I'm curious as to what objective book-measuring standard you have used to come up with this judgement that they are "good books"

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast