BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 34 of 38 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Why expend a massive amount of effort getting your gaming group together and agreeing on houserules because GW isn't willing to do it for you when you can just play Infinity or Wamahordes or Drop Zone Commander or Malifaux or X Wing or any of the other games out there?
    Have you ever actually played the game with a group of friends? Rules naturally get tweaked in all of those games just as much as in 40k. Thats what house ruling is, deciding on the points level and terrain set up method your group likes, conventions for rolling dice, its always been a part of table top games.

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    What a lot of whining when all we have is a vague description of the new features in a WD editorial. From what it sounds like people are going to be able to run lore friendly things like armoured columns and all wraith armies and ASSUMING the new rules don't provide some checks and balances we don't know about if you think a particular army is broken don't bloody play against it.
    I don't always agree with Eldargal, but in this case she hit the nail on the head. The Unbound option will likely allow some really cool and fluffy army variants and I am all for that. If it proves problematic then since there are *two* options then there is nothing stopping folks, notably tournaments, from simply saying they are only accepting Battle Forged lists. Bunch of whinging over nothing if you ask me...

Chapter-Master

So why do people ask gw for faqs? Why are there balance issues in 40k at all? Why hasn't everyone just houseruled them all away?

Have you ever actually played in a large gaming community? If you had, you might see the disconnect between your previous statement and what I was saying. If I walked in and said that I had rewritten some of the rules I thought were unfair, people would just give me funny looks. In most large communities, people don't use houserules, and tournaments and other large events don't either, aside from using their own missions and the occasional faq.

And seriously? You think agreeing on points levels for a game really counts as houserules? I know there are certain things players agree upon. No ****. Rewriting core rules doesn't fall into that category, though.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    So why do people ask gw for faqs? Why are there balance issues in 40k at all? Why hasn't everyone just houseruled them all away?

Have you ever actually played in a large gaming community? If you had, you might see the disconnect between your previous statement and what I was saying. If I walked in and said that I had rewritten some of the rules I thought were unfair, people would just give me funny looks. In most large communities, people don't use houserules, and tournaments and other large events don't either, aside from using their own missions and the occasional faq.

And seriously? You think agreeing on points levels for a game really counts as houserules? I know there are certain things players agree upon. No ****. Rewriting core rules doesn't fall into that category, though.
    And no one talked about rewriting core rules, they talked about tweaks to make it more better for them. Lots of groups I've played with don't follow the terrain set up rules for example. You're just being facetious. People make do with rules agreements before there are FAQs, they don't roll off for it every time until an FAQ comes, ICs joining with Riptides is accepted for the moment, even through its grey area, thats a house rule, otherwise you'd have to roll off for it in every game according to the rules.

Guess it was a silly question to ask if you'd ever played with friends.

Anyway, any more rumours? I can get whines all day, I teach maths.

Chapter-Master

It was a silly question, not to mention a rather insulting one. Of course I play with friends. I wouldn't play 40k otherwise. It's just rather narrow minded to assume that everyone loves 40k specifically so much they won't switch to other games if they feel 40k's quality drops. Maybe there will be relatively few stupid things, and everyone can easily agree to not play, say, unbound. That's pretty minor. But what if people decide thepsychic phase is stupid? Are you going to houserule that? Are you going to get people to play along? Probably not, not if you play with more than your tight group of immediate friends. And if 7th is plagued with issues, are you going to rewrite half the rulebook? No, the 'just houserule it" attitude isn't a bad one, it's just not practical for everyone.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Brother-Sergeant

This reminds me of 2nd edition with psychic phase and everything. A board game mixed with 40k.

Quote Originally Posted by Lord Asterion View Post
    What sorcery is this you speak of?
    Well, you start creating one in the magic^d^d^d^d^dpsychic phase... you get D6 + your total mastery level frames of animation to play with...
    However, you competitors get the chance do dispel your sexy "animated gif" with a crappy inline video image tag.... looks like thats what's happened here....

Initiate

I've been playing this game since the beginning and have quit once or twice because of "dumbing" down of the rules. But I have too much money invested in this game to quit for good. I really enjoy the fluff in the novels and codex's. Yes I would love to see close assault armies come back, rhino rushes, Harlequins on jet bikes that have swing on initiative power fists, and REAL harlequin kiss. Ohh and maybe the Solitaire. Wolves who are known more for assault than their shooting. CSM with more BALLS and coolness. But that is in the past but I'm sure ill still play in the tourney scene here in Houston no matter what abomination the rules might be because I love the game. and I get to push plastic army men across the table, role dice and make funny noises when they shoot.

Veteran-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by DrBored View Post
    That makes me all sorts of angry... but then, I've seen similar things happen with friends. "Hey man, want to go out and get a burger at McD's?" - "Nah, can't afford it *while building a brand new 100 dollar kit*" - He then goes on to complain about how he's had to skip meals. It's like, really people? There's this thing called a budget... and there's this sad thing called 'living beyond your means'...
    I know this is kind of OT but I felt I had to reply. I agree with you that people should live within their means but sometimes circumstances are such that they don't for a fair enough reason. A while back, I was pretty poor and I was diagnosed with pretty bad depression (not because I was poor, I hasten to add). I won't go into details since a wargaming forum isn't the place but I found that I kept buying miniatures despite my financial situation because it helped me significantly in dealing with my condition. Taking part in the hobby gave me a focus, clarity of mind and drive that was well worth skipping breakfast now and then and cutting back on everything else.

Like I say, I mostly agree with you, but I wanted to show how there are reasons people behave like that besides financial stupidity or whatever.

ANYWAY, back onto the light-hearted stuff and arguments about balance, eh?

Page 34 of 38 FirstFirst ... 243233343536 ... LastLast