BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
    Chaplain

Default Wood grain Plasticard?

I'm looking to make a lectern to put by a top hatch on an Inquisition Land Raider. To make a literal "bully pulpit". Since I can't find any bits that will work I'm just going to have to scratch build one.

I want it to look wooden rather than metal to fit with the gothic look so I need something with scale wood grain. I can use actual wood but the grain is far too large for something so small. Does anyone know of any modeling card with wood grain molded on? Or better yet a where to find a scale lectern that would work?

Brother-Captain

I don't know about plasticard with wood grain, but have you looked at doll house furniture? A bed or a wardrobe or similar items can be easily dissembled into a couple of wooden panels of about the right size to make into a lectern.
    Kabal of Venomed Dreams

I've used balsa/bass wood to make trench works and other terrain, similar to what I think you're describing. I used dark washes to paint the wood, then used a light drybrush to pick out the details.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	House.jpg 
Views:	164 
Size:	298.6 KB 
ID:	15555
    Visit my war gaming blog at: lookoutsir.blogspot.com

Take a wire brush and run it down the length of a piece of balsa a few times, it'll great a great wood grain texture that takes washes and drybrushing perfectly.

Name:	20150827_173111.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	254.6 KB 
ID:	15558
    Last edited by Vyo; 08-27-2015 at 05:41 PM.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Vyo View Post
    Take a wire brush and run it down the length of a piece of balsa a few times, it'll great a great wood grain texture that takes washes and drybrushing perfectly.

Name:	20150827_173111.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	254.6 KB 
ID:	15558
    I think this is what I'm going to go with. Thanks for the ideas!

Why not use a good grade of actual wood? Six inch tongue depressors come immediately to mind,

close grained and polished finish they would eminently serve as both the table and pedestal with a little shaping and laminating plus they can be stained because they're real wood.
    "It is easier to deceive people than it is to convince them that they have been deceived."

[url]http://www.hobbylinc.com/htm/pls/pls91857.htm?source=froogle&gclid=CMP4gaHJzMcCFRCC aQod9NAJKw[/url]

Plastruct makes good stuff. You might have to look a couple of different ones to get the right scale.

I use there cobblestone to make fantasy bases and it works really well. Cool thing is that plastic glue works on them as well. No super glue needed.