BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Chapter-Master

Default Not Saying I Will, but If I WERE to Add IG to My Power Armor...

What would you recommend - from both a points-effective and a cost-effective standpoint - as a small Imperial Guard detachment to Ally with my power armor armies (that's Space Marines Codex, Blood Angels Codex, and Sisters of Battle). I don't have a lot of interest in the Imperial Guard as Imperial Guard, but it seems like it would be fun - and Forge-the-Narrative-y - to have a small Imperial Guard force supporting my elite power-armored units.

But I don't want to spend a lot of points or a lot of money on it.

What do you recommend?
    ElectricPaladin Paints: http://tiny-plastic-dead.tumblr.com/
    ElectricPaladin Writes: burningzeppelinexperience.blogspot.com

Brother-Captain

I don't know about the composition of an IG allied contingent as I don't have the IG Codex, but for the look of one I have to admit I am sorely tempted to take a crack at an IG force similar to the Ultramar PDF force that was detailed in the Hobby section. I just think those vehicles and such look amazing and I like the idea of doing such a force that comes from one of the Imperial Fists recruiting worlds, most likely Inwit where Dorn himself grew up.
    Either there is life in the universe more intelligent than us, or we are the most intelligent form of life in the universe. Either way, it's a worrying thought!

Quote Originally Posted by Brakkart View Post
    I don't know about the composition of an IG allied contingent as I don't have the IG Codex, but for the look of one I have to admit I am sorely tempted to take a crack at an IG force similar to the Ultramar PDF force that was detailed in the Hobby section. I just think those vehicles and such look amazing and I like the idea of doing such a force that comes from one of the Imperial Fists recruiting worlds, most likely Inwit where Dorn himself grew up.
    Stuff like that you might want to have a look at the Badab books from Forgeworld. Decent mixed list in that.
    Fed up for Scalpers? https://www.facebook.com/groups/1710575492567307/?ref=bookmarks

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Mystery View Post
    Stuff like that you might want to have a look at the Badab books from Forgeworld. Decent mixed list in that.
    Yeah I have heard that. Would love to be able to afford them but no job means luxury things like FW Books are well out of my price range sadly. A project for a more prosperous time in my future I hope.
    Either there is life in the universe more intelligent than us, or we are the most intelligent form of life in the universe. Either way, it's a worrying thought!

I'd recommend a company command squad with three melta/plasma, a vet squad with three melta/plasma, and a Valkyrie. The ccs can issue orders to make his own squad or another twin liked when shooting at vehicles or monsters; or your opponent re-rolls successful cover saves from shots from that unit. Vets riding around in Valks are awesome for taking objectives, and/or blasting other guys off those objectives.

In the tourney scene, a lot of players are taking Forgeworld Saber Defense Platforms with twin-linked lascannons (that have skyfire and T7).
    Visit my war gaming blog at: lookoutsir.blogspot.com

I'd start with 5 HQ guys (quad Plasmas), 2 squads of Veterans (3 Plasma each), a Chimera, a Valkyrie / Vendetta, and a Leman Russ Demolisher (S10 AP2 AV14/13/11!).

Guard Elites are kinda poor, but Psykers in a Chimera could be interesting.
    - 40k Eldar, Imperial Guard & Chaos Marines ∙ WFB Dogs of War ∙ WM/H Cryx ∙ BFG Chaos & Imperial Navy -

Unfortunately, nothing Guard does can really be called "cheap" in terms of points or purchase price. That being said, IG is very versatile and can fill in a lot of gaps, depending on what you need:
    -Infantry Platoons make a cheap, stubborn scoring unit; buy a Commissar for one Infantry Squad and then blob up using the Combined Squad rule; you now have a Ld9 Stubborn 20-model unit for under 200 points, and the option to add 2 special and 2 heavy weapons (including Mortars for potential barrage-sniping fun!)

-Vendettas are a contender for best flyer in the game right now, at 130 points for 3 T-L Lascannons, plus hover, plus troop transports. The drawbacks are, it's Stormraven-huge and Stormraven-expensive, and you have to scratchbuild the lascannons, or buy the FW upgrade kit.

-in Heavy Support, you have a wealth of choices, but the Leman Russ Executioner with a Heavy 3 Plasma Cannon that doesn't get hot and the Basilisk with its S9 Barrage gun are probably the best for general-purpose use.
    Thank you for voxing the Church of Khorne, would you like to donate a skull to the Skull Throne today?

Librarian

Full squad of Orgyns with Lord commissar cheering them on, that walking up the board will absorb so much firepower. It can also be a great distraction/ flank holder.
    a full squad of Ratlings is around 100 points andall have Sniper rifles at BS4, very nice for anti-MC's and cheap.
    Plasma vets plus Vendetta is too good of a combo to pass up.
    a couple of Leman Russ tanks / or Baslisks can really toss a curve ball into someone not expecting it.

Quote Originally Posted by GrauGeist View Post
    Guard Elites are kinda poor, but Psykers in a Chimera could be interesting.
    IIRC, you can't cast while in a vehicle anymore.
    Visit my war gaming blog at: lookoutsir.blogspot.com

First-Captain

depending on what you actually play in your lists, the ultimate (mockery of) Barrage Sniping tool might be a nice addition - the mighty Manticore. For Troops either some Plasma/Melta Vets in a Chimera or a small(ish) Blob, maybe joined by a Lord Commissar or Primaris Psyker, and then add a Vendetta/Hellhound if you like - but that pushes it beyond cheap...
    The bigger they are, the bigger the mess they make when they step on you. - Ahzek Ahriman, on Titans

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast