BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Thread: Ravenguard army

Default Ravenguard army

So Ravenguard is my favorite chapter, but I don't know a good way to make a list for them that stays true to their lore.

I'm looking to start a marine army, seeing as how I'm addicted to starting new armies apparently. This one I want to be small (2k tops, most games 1k) but I don't know what to get in order to stay true to Ravenguard lore.

Any ideas on a list?

Also, post #10

I'm not an expert on Ravenguard, but I'm pretty sure they are heavy on scout squads and quick assault elements, while staying away from the really heavy stuff like terminators and what not. If I were doing the list and staying to true to background I'd have scouts for troops, Sternguard in elites, shrike with some jump pack guys in HQ, bikes in fast attack and predators in heavy.

See about playing with Korvydae from forgeworld. He makes raven guard better.

Quote Originally Posted by Hogleg View Post
    See about playing with Korvydae from forgeworld. He makes raven guard better.
    He looks interesting, but I can't find any rules for him. Any ideas on where I can find them to see if he's worth it?

Honestly, using Blood Angels rules to represent Raven guard isn't necessarily a bad idea. You get the core of what raven guard does, assault squads (especially with Descent of Angels,) access to plenty of melta/flamers and if I remember correctly, RG uses furioso pattern dreadnoughts. If you have an insane opponent, or a really friendly one, he may let you use Shrike's rules in the BA codex in exchange for Red Thirst or something.

If you want to use codex chapter, Shrike w/ assault terminators or vanguard vets is usually how I run my lists. Use scouts to fill up your troops slots and vary between land speeder storms and assault squads for your fast attack.

Just stay away from heavy vehicles like land raiders, vindicators and predators and I think you'll be able to pull off a fluffy list.

Ravenguard are fun to play, and you can really only be true to the fluff with the Dark Angels codex.(In my opinion at least.) In my Ravenwing lists, I use Sammael as HQ because he lets Ravenwing count as troops. Of course, a few Bike Squads for troops, some for close combat and some for tank hunting, and squads of Land Speeders for Fast Attack. It lets you get in the enemy's lines quickly with balanced amounts of firepower and close combat.

Quote Originally Posted by bforber View Post
    Honestly, using Blood Angels rules to represent Raven guard isn't necessarily a bad idea. You get the core of what raven guard does, assault squads (especially with Descent of Angels,) access to plenty of melta/flamers and if I remember correctly, RG uses furioso pattern dreadnoughts. If you have an insane opponent, or a really friendly one, he may let you use Shrike's rules in the BA codex in exchange for Red Thirst or something.

If you want to use codex chapter, Shrike w/ assault terminators or vanguard vets is usually how I run my lists. Use scouts to fill up your troops slots and vary between land speeder storms and assault squads for your fast attack.

Just stay away from heavy vehicles like land raiders, vindicators and predators and I think you'll be able to pull off a fluffy list.

I might have some friends that would let me try that out. I feel like so long as it's not in a competitive setting most people won't care all that much. They might even let me use Shrike as a special character, you never know

As for using a Dark Angels codex, I never really thought about that before. I always thought Ravenguard were mainly scouts and assault marines and not really bikes. I could see where bikes would come from though seeing as how the big thing is hit and run tactics.

Scout

You could visit the Sons of Corax website, they're purely devoted to Raven Guard and all things Raven Guard