BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Veteran-Sergeant

Default Wolf Guard Terminator Army?

Is anyone else building a wolf guard terminator list? If so, what are your plans for it? I am actually considering running Logan Grimnar and 4 squads of terminators with 2 in landraiders....

Brother-Captain

It's going to be like Deathwing, a handful of expensive models up against a full army. Outnumbered, outgunned, outmatched, but never out-awesome'd!

A mech Loganwing is going to be really expensive with a paltry handful of models. 2 Land Raiders are tough, but if that's your whole army they won't last long. You'll need to incorporate cheap, disposable units to back up your army and do the job if your Terminators get unlucky.

2 big mean Termie squads in LRCs (keep them cheap, 2 CF/SS max, lots of single wolf claws), Logan, a Rune Priest, GH in Rhinos, dakka Preds, MM/HF Speeders, doggies, and Dreads.

I'll be doing a foot version, all Termies all the time.

Logan, Rune Priest, 10 Termies + 2 cyclone (4 krak missiles + tank hunters = yayz), 3 5 man cyclone squads, and 3 Lone Wolves. Add doggies for cheap bullet screens and mobile units to tie down problem enemies.

I'm covering the topic now on my [URL="http://www.bnhblog.blogspot.com"]blog[/URL]

Veteran-Sergeant

I was actually thinking of doing a foot slogging Wolf Guard termie army also....something like:

Logan Grimnar: 275

10 Wolf Guard Terminators (6 w/wolf claw + storm bolter, 2 w/heavy flamer + chainfist, 2 w/storm bolter + power weapon) 400

10 Wolf Guard Terminators (8 w/wolf claw + storm bolter, 1 w/heavy flamer + powerfist, 1 w/assault cannon + power fist) 425

10 Wolf Guard Terminators (1 w/thunder hammer + storm bolter, 4 w/wolf claw + storm bolter, 2 w/assault cannon + power fist, 3 w/storm bolter + power weapon) 445

10 Wolf Guard Terminators (1 w/wolf claw + thunder hammer, 7 w/wolf claw + storm bolter, 1w/ assault cannon + power fist, 1w/ assault cannon + power weapon) 455

Total 2000 points

I really love the idea of Wolf Guard terminators with 1 wolf claw and a storm bolter...just seems more "Space Wolfie" than TH/SB or PW/SB. In any case what do you folks think?

Brother-Captain

That's an awful lot of points sunk in fighty dudes on foot. You have no real answer to vehicles and are basically just rushing up the field hoping to make it. You won't. Any mobile army can hold you at arm's length and whittle your numbers down.

I like cyclones since they can knock out light armor and with Logan's Tank Hunters threaten AV14. But otherwise, combi-meltas and Wolf Claws are cheap upgrades I'd high recommend.

Quote Originally Posted by Chumbalaya View Post
    That's an awful lot of points sunk in fighty dudes on foot. You have no real answer to vehicles and are basically just rushing up the field hoping to make it.
    ... …

I like cyclones since they can knock out light armor and with Logan's Tank Hunters threaten AV14. But otherwise, combi-meltas and Wolf Claws are cheap upgrades I'd high recommend.
    Amen to that.

I’d also recommend a drop pod or three to give you a little more power projection.

For a hair over 250 points for the entire unit, you get:
    3 Wolf Guard Terminators with combi-meltas
    2 with power fists and storm shields
    Drop Pod
    Adjust mix of combi-meltas and storm shields to taste, depending on whether you want to maximise your tank-killing or survivability.

Call it:

Logan
    2 squads of 10 Wolf Guard termies (2 cyclones each)
    3 squads of 5 Wolf Guard terminators in drop pods (3 with combi-meltas, 2 with storm shields and power fists)

Leaves you 150 points to spend on upgrades (Wolf Claws, thunder hammers, melta-bombs, chainfists, more combi-weapons etc…)

Veteran-Sergeant

That's an awful lot of points sunk in fighty dudes on foot. You have no real answer to vehicles and are basically just rushing up the field hoping to make it. You won't. Any mobile army can hold you at arm's length and whittle your numbers down.

Do you think that if I swap 3 of the assault cannons out for cyclones that I will have enough firepower to deal with tanks...(along with the TH and PF if I manage to close)

I would really like to keep the army all Termies...though I am not overly offended by the idea of adding a couple of Predators if I have to...like maybe drop 5 termies from the last squad and and a couple of basic Preds?

I just did an all Wolf Guard army in Apocalypse (Grimnar, Njal and 4 Landraiders full of Power Armored Wolf Guard) and it was pretty awesome. I missed the free weapons, but the extra attack was pretty sweet.

I've been toying with a Wolf Guard-heavy army that's mostly Terminators in Drop Pods (just for fun). This is pretty much off the top of my head, but it looks like fun. There's some complicated stuff in it, so I'll just show you where the extra Wolf Guard end up.

HQ

Logan Grinmar

Rune Priest (Terminator Armor, Saga of the Beast Slayer)

TROOPS

6-man Wolf Guard Pack
    - 2x Combi-meltas, 1x Mark of the Wulfen (in Power Armor)
    - 2x Terminator Armor, Thunder Hammer
    - 2x Terminator Armor, Storm Shield
    - Drop Pod

6-man Wolf Guard Pack
    - 2x Combi-meltas (in Power Armor)
    - 2x Terminator Armor, Thunder Hammer
    - 2x Terminator Armor, Storm Shield
    - Drop Pod

5-man Wolf Guard Pack (Logan goes here)
    - 3x Terminator Armor, Twin Wolf Claws
    - Drop Pod

5-man Wolf Guard Pack (Rune Priest goes here)
    - 3x Terminator Armor, Twin Wolf Claws
    - Drop Pod

9-man Grey Hunter Pack
    - 1x Meltagun
    - 1x Mark of the Wulfen
    - 1x Wolf Guard (Combi-melta and Mark of the Wulfen)
    - Drop Pod

HEAVY SUPPORT

6-man Long Fangs (3x Heavy Bolters, 2x Lascannon)

6-man Long Fangs (3x Heavy Bolters, 2x Lascannon)

Notes: Instead of putting 5 Terminators in Drop Pods, I opted for 4 Terminators and 2 Wolf Guard in power armor. This let's me put the two combi-meltas on the power armor guys (and let them soak up wounds, if necessary).

Dirty Trick #1: To help me assign wounds, none of the Wolf Guard in Power Armor are "identical". One gave up his Close Combat weapon for the Combi-Melta and the other gave up his Bolt Pistol for the Combi-Melta. This let's me pile up wounds more effectively.

This also has my new favorite Grey Hunter squad build (9 Grey Hunters, 1 Meltagun, 1 MotW and 1 Wolf Guard with combi-melta and MotW). You'll notice no Power Weapon/Fist, but I do have two guys with Mark of the Wulfen, which gives me 2d6+2 S4 Rending attacks for 188pts. Not too shabby.

This army isn't going to win a lot of games (it's just doesn't have any staying power), but it's going to be a ton of fun on the board. If you can survive long enough to enjoy it, lol.

-- mkerr
    Check out my new Blog! --- http://www.ChainFist.com
    Follow me on Twitter! http://www.twitter.com/40kNEWS

Quote Originally Posted by Ivarr View Post
    Do you think that if I swap 3 of the assault cannons out for cyclones that I will have enough firepower to deal with tanks...(along with the TH and PF if I manage to close)
    Not really.

Its not just a matter of having the cyclones – the other problem is that there’s no guarantee that you’ll be able to bring all of them to bear on any given enemy tank.

In an ideal situation, each and every unit in an army would have the ability to engage enemy armour, be it at long range (lascannon, missile launchers), short range (melta weapons) or close combat (S8+ attacks).

As it stands, if you concentrate the cyclones, it makes it that much easier for the other guy to outmanoeuvre your army.

If you spread the cyclones out to extend your anti-tank threat envelope, there’s a chance that at least 1 cyclone is going to be out of range.

This can be especially difficult in the event that you run into an army with fast tanks.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Ivarr View Post
    Not really, but you'll have a better chance than no chance at all.

I like the idea of Drop Podding termies, it gets them close quickly and makes the most of combi-weapons and counter attack, but they can be countered like any other DP army (toss in a cyclone and you can give then ranged firepower most DP armies lack).

Adding Predators, Speeders, and Dread will help you dish out some extra pain at range, and they are fairly cheap so you don't lose out on much.

… they can be countered like any other DP army
    True, assuming you go all-out with the pods (which, presumably, is the definition of a drop-podding army).

On the other hand, if you’ve got 1-3 pods of Terminators dropping into the other guy’s deployment zone whilst 20 foot-slogging, cyclone-toting Terminators march straight down the middle, your opponent’s options are considerably more limited.

1) Layered meat-shields can still be a problem, but that’s always going to be a problem for such a small, elite army. On the plus side, having a couple of pods allow you Terminators to make a head start on the speed-bumps.

2) When it comes to holding troops in reserve, however, having a couple of Terminator-deployed pods can help a great deal.

Combi-meltas might have a relatively short range, but you’re still looking at a 12”-18” no-go zone around each Terminator cluster.

Back them up with the fire from their 20 foot-slogging brethren and the other guy’s movement options are a lot more limited.

Adding Predators, Speeders, and Dread will help you dish out some extra pain at range, and they are fairly cheap so you don't lose out on much.
    Up to a point, at any rate (pun intended).

60 points here, 135 points there, pretty soon, you’re looking at the cost of a Land Raider in lighter vehicles.

If you are going with vehicles, then invest in the big tanks!

Regular Land Raiders, mind…

1) Much better-protected unless you run into lance weapons.
    2) Land Raiders give you the weight to literally drive through any meatshields the other guy might throw up.
    3) Unless a Raider is destroyed, you’re always going to be able to shoot at least one anti-tank gun.
    4) Having a small squad camping out in a Land Raider keeps them safe from just about any conceivable outflanking/deep-striking unit.

For Plan C (or was it B?), maybe something like this?

Logan

10 Wolf Guard Terminators
    2 cyclone missile launchers, 2 wolf claws, 2 power fists, 2 storm shields

10 Wolf Guard Terminators
    2 cyclone missile launchers, 2 wolf claws

4 Wolf Guard Terminators
    2 power fists, 2 combi-weapons

4 Wolf Guard Terminators
    2 power fists, 2 combi-weapons

Land Raider, extra armour, multi-melta
    Land Raider, extra armour, multi-melta
    -Logan joins a 10-man squad (presumably the better-equipped one). They either lead the charge, or move up in company with the Raiders.

-Smaller squads ride the Land Raiders, which either stay home and camp OR advance together with the foot-sloggers.

- With 2x10 foot-slogging Terminators, you’ve got a pretty decent shot at keeping the other guy’s melta-equipped units at arms’ length.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast