BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 64 1231151 ... LastLast
    Fly Lord

Default Tau Rumor Roundup Mk-2

Lets start over with known good sources this time.

Stickmonkey (8-1-2012)

Tau Codex early next year.
    Kroot and other existing allies are there, however they are limited. There appears to be an "Allies" supplement which will be out about the same time and include many more options. (aside: Dare I start a Spring of Allies moniker...ah well then it will end up being 2 years from now... )
    Crisis suits completely redone.
    Stealth suits completely redone.
    Pirahna has new option and I am not sure if it will be reboxed together or be sold as an upgrade kit.
    New Pathfinders were seen being worked on a while back.
    Ethereals expanded, new unit options around them.
    There is a FW Tau model which has a unit entry in the codex. (My take is this might actually be a new plastic kit taking over a FW model, and before anyone yells GW doesnt cannibalize FW...yes, they do, they have, and they will.)
    The floating chair ethereal was seen being worked on for a new model.
    New fast skimmer sized between hammerhead and pirahna.
    Flyer has dual gattling cannons
    Flyer has option for rail guns
    Flyer has bombs (not missiles!?)

Rule rumors (these are rumors people! I hate posting rule rumors cause I am not involved in that. Please take fwiw)
    Railguns have a JOWW effect, they can hit multiple models in a line, but if hitting vehicles has a max number of hull points it can cause. the way this is described is it draws a line from the barrel to table edge, every model under starts taking hits starting with the closest. if it hits a vehicle or structure with HP, its strength drops, once it hits 3 or a table edge or fails to make a penetrating hit its done. rhino line's watch out!
    There is some rumor of an Anti Psyker weapon. like night fighting, but no psychic powers for a game turn.
    There is no flyer dedicated transport, and the existing flyer is going to be competing against some very good other options
    The jetpack troops have some option to "pop up and shoot" from behind cover.

Ornithopter (8-1-2012)

I was told, that GW is trying to invert their release order. Instead of two follow up waves after a Codex release they will release one or two smaller waves of models before every codex, one big release with the codex and some stragglers thereafter (mainly re-releases and model updates). This is widely known and not hard to deduce. But I was also told that this is only a test run for two upcoming releases and GW is fully prepared to switch back to the old modus operandi or a completely different release schedule.

GW has used the period of reduced LotR activity to produce new ranges far in advance. GW sits on a whole pile of army books/codexes and finished masters and has the flexibility to alter their release schedule seamlessly. The next two releases (Warriors of Chaos and Dark Angels) follow the old pattern, but the next two releases (Tau and Eldar) after these are deployed in the new fashion.

The Tau Codex was pushed back because of this, but only the book. The first batch of models will be released even earlier than planned (maybe even this year) – and yes, there are Kroots and no, there is no Lamprey – this whole set of rumours is 105% fake.

Faeit 212 (8-2-2012)

Flyer waves incoming: Four more fliers in the pipeline: renamed Eldar Nightwing (finished), Tau Copperhead (finished), and a medium sized Space Marine and a large Ork flyer.

Model production and codex production are decoupled after the planning phase now. Warriors of Chaos, Dark Angels, Chaos Space Marine codices are finished, Tau and High Elves nearly finished.

Every army rulebook from now on will have a special defining mechanic.
    - Tau have a system of unit upgrades that get unlocked by another unit or other effects. For example, a Firewarrior cadre with an ethereal next to it, with markerlight support and scouting kroot unit will get a serious buff. Every unit has a small chart for three of these effects.

Stickmonkey (11-28-2012)
    Tau UBER-suit
    AV:11/11/11
    Hullpoints:2
    Dual (not linked) Rail Cannons
    Missile Launcher
    Interceptor/Skyfire
    Many upgrade options including Stealth

BONUS Tasty Morsel:
    Markerlights gain the ability to grant Skyfire.
    Faeit 212 (2-3-2013)
    I have been seeing a lot of play testing for the tau empire and have seen some new models as well. They look so new and epic it makes me really excited. Now I did my hands on some rules and names for units, If you are to pass these on then PLEASE send it to only reliable rumour sites.

I will start with the new sky ray orbital blast ability. From what I can remember on top of my head is that the sky ray has to forgo his full turn of shooting for a single unlimited range blast that is:

strength X AP 3 (wound on 2+,plasma corrosion, blast)
    plasma corrosion - any enemy model hit under the blast rolls a d6 every turn for the remainder of the game on a roll of 1-3 the unit or model suffers d6 strength 4 AP5 hits. On a roll of 4-5 the unit suffers 2d6 strength 5 AP 4 hits. On a roll of a 6 the unit is hit with 2d6 strength 6 AP 2 hits with the blind special rule. (these are test rules and subject to change)

Tau fire warriors will have the OPTION to upgrade their tau fire warriors to bs 4 (I put option in bold to show it is an option for all those fluffy players)
    I believe the upgrade at the moment is being called 'advance training'

battle suits are getting/got new models but have the same profile as now with the inclusion of an option to make them toughness 5 (cost or name is unknown)

The kroot is getting a HUGE monster that looks like something from fantasy. It has kroot riding it but is under going constant rule changes due to either dying to quickly or for lack of usage. From what I remember seeing it has 5 wounds but only a 5+ save and was over priced IMO.

kroot gain furious charge and move through cover and start with a 6+ save that can be upgraded to 5+ with shaper for an additional 2pts per model (making them 8pts per model) - remember this could change!

finally their is options to make all your battle suits have 2+ saves for 20pts per model - all war gear that is in the current codex has been reduced slightly.

the tau dread knight walker rumours you have read are 100% TRUE - I have seen the concept art/profile and from the top of my memory it is something like this.

WS BS S T W I A LD SV
    4 4 6 8 4 2 4 8 2+/4+

I will not share rules because they were on the next page of document of which I did not see. I did see the points which were : 210pts
    Stickmonkey (2-4-2013)
    Units
    Crisis Suits: Look for more posable new models. Unit keeps its high level of customization, with several upgrades to stat lines possible. New flakk missile pods. New combi-kit includes Broadside parts.

Stealth Suits: Models unchanged. Have stealth, (obviously), plus optional drone granting shrouding.

Sky Ray: Last edition's trainwreck gets a new lease on life. Flakk missiles, plus has orbital bombardment (much like SM version, but with a lingering effect).

Fire Warriors: Same nasty gun. Still BS:3, but with a Shas'O can upgrade unit to BS:4.

Equipment
    Drones: Any drone can be used for Look Out Sir rolls for any model in the unit they are attached to.

Markerlights: A single hit increases BS of all other units targeting the victim by +1. Multiple markerlights have no additional effects. OUCH - look out for possible BS:5, Fire Warrior volleys now! Markerlights improve snapfire against marked flyers to 5+ instead of 6, but must first hit the flyer with a 6 themselves.

Networked Markerlights: A longer range twin linked version. Vehicles only.
    Stickmonkey (2-5-2013)
    Units
    Ethereals: These now grant army wide special rules and bubble rules, but there are different options. They function roughly much like those recent Dark Angels banners. So one option might be army wide Ld rerolls while in play, plus units in 12" are fearless. Another option might be one unit in army gets salvo once per turn, and all units in 12" get rerolls to hit.

Kroot: Everyone's favorite birdmen get Scout, Furious Charge, Move thru Cover. Kroot Hounds and Kroot hawks! Shaper can unlock additional unit upgrades.

"Sneaky Kroot": Look for an ELITES Kroot unit that can hide in terrain like Ymgarl Genestealers.

Knarloc: The new big beasty model, very similar to the Forgeworld Great Knarloc (see below). Monstrous Creature, with a trample attack allowing it to run 3d6" and cause 2d6 S6 AP6 wounds to any unit it crosses. It may additionally use this special move to charge a unit, gains +2A and the assault-grenades ability when charging in this manner.

Vespid: The maligned bug men are redeemed! Big improvements, weapon range increase, point reduction, hit and run.

Vespid Flyer: Smallest flyer in game, like a jetbike, single blaster as weapon, vector-dancer

Fortifications: Deep striking turrets as fortification options. Burst cannons or missile pods options.

Tau Flyer Transport: 13 13 12 armor, holds a full Fire Warrior or Crisis Suit squad, or single Uber-suit. Not a lot of weapons, but HP:3, and has a save from wargear that can be taken. Deep strike. Rules-wise is focused on getting units reliably to a location.

The Uber-suit: So many options currently it's hard to keep them straight. It's a mobile weapon platform, with rail guns as it's main weapon system, - which can be upgraded to a plasma weapon system or ion cannons. Classified as monstrous creature. 2+/4++ save. It can forgo shooting and movement to gain 2++ save. The Uber can move as jump infantry if it does not shoot it's main weapons. VERY HIGH toughness, no existing weapon can instant death it. Although it can smash if it has to, it is not designed as a close combat unit at all. Cost is comparable to a Terminator squad. It can take drone support.

Odds and Ends
    FOC: Some specific HQs move Crisis Suits to troops. One moves two Kroot units to troops.

Psykers-defense: All Tau have some base immunity to psychic powers, and thus any Tau unit can deny the witch, with the suits gaining an improvement to this roll.
    Faeit (3-7-2013)
    None of the Forgeworld suits will be in the new Tau codex.

There are two new suits, however and the crisis and broadsides are both being redone and are very distinct from one another.

The hazard suits will remain as a Forgeworld supplement and are even referenced in the fluff in a few places. They're just non-standard issue and still considered in prototype for various reasons.

The Kroot hq replaces the 1+ requirement on fire warriors with a Kroot unit.

And the book is finished. Has been for a while.
    Bigred (3-7-2013)
    Some Retailers are reporting an inability to restock the current Codex: Tau Empire (as was seen with Chaos Daemons in February)
    via Kirby's 3++ (3-13-2013)
    Option to have all units with 6" fire overwatch - lots of dice rolling, little effect FTW
    Fliers are AV10/11 with 6x S6/7 shots at BS3; not twin-linked
    There is a tank commander
    Tau vehicles can no longer fire as fast vehicles (i.e. multi-tracker upgrade gone/changed)
    Riptide - name of ubersuit and is an Elite choice.
    via Kirby's 3++ (3-18-2013)
    Skyray can shoot and ground and air targets (one assumes at full BS).
    Stealthsuits are better at overwatching shooting at BS2
    Special character is "like" Chronus for tanks.
    Tank Hunters. Potential cover boost. Tank can overwatch.
    Hammerhead roughly 160-170 WITH character.
    Special Pathfinder - Nightstrider.

Riptide roughly is T6/W4/2 Sv/5 invul with the special option working on a 3 or higher (i.e. 3plusplus , better blast, etc.). Around 175 pts with Ion Cannon (S8 Ap2 blast; super charge takes to S9?).
    Maybe more than 4 wounds - 5 wounds!? And more gun options outside of Ion cannon - supporting missile pods?

Fast Attack is where new fliers are going and we still have Pathfinders and Piranhas (which are cheaper I think).

All Ion weapons have a 'supercharge' option but at a risk (gets hot?). Drones can have Ion weapons.
    Interceptor drones are in!
    Heavy drones with actual weapons AFAIK. They are a FW unit iirc which has been moved to 40k.
    Some have been shown to have ion weapons - there are 6 drone types (see below).
    Repulsor field. D6 s4 ap- hits to attacking units at I10
    Supporting fire allows other Tau units within 6" to overwatch a charging unit as well. Not sure if this is all Tau units or just specific types.
    Markerlights are for all intents and purposes, the same. Buff BS, remove cover. BS can be buffed for Overwatch but not sure if this counts for Skyfire, too.
    Grav inhibitor
    Pulse accelerator
    Recon drone (which can fit in the turret cupola of a devikfish and provide communication relays and fire support)

Cadre Fireblade -
    IC with split fire, markerlight, supporting fire, volley fire (+1 shot for Pulse Rifles/Carbines if unit and IC do not move).
    Upgrade for Fire Warrior units - not sure if an actual IC or just has LoS! properties, etc.

85 pts gets S8 AP1 Skyfire for Broadsides; same statline
    Railguns are now S8 Ap1 base - rail cannons are S10 AP1.

via Warseer's Tastyfish (3-20-2013)
    Tau are going to be released in April with the following kits. The new cover is of a Crisis suit. The suit is posed with one leg on a boulder, whilst shooting a target to the suit's right with a fusion blaster

New Battleforce - £80
    3 Crisis suits, 12 Firewarriors, Piranha, 3 Stealthsuits with marker drones, 8 gun drones

XV104 Riptide battlesuit - £50/US$85
    Plastic kit sculpted by Matt Holland, Dale Stringer and Tom Walten

Elite choice
    Monstrous creature with T6 W4 2+ save, 5+ invulnerable save and a jump/jetpack of some kind
    Primary Weapon options are upgraded versions of the Ion cannon and burst cannon, Railcannon may also be an option
    It also mounts "Crisis level" weapons (missiles/SMS and plasma rifles in pictures) on it's shoulders and underslung beneath the primary weapon
    Comes with two shielded missile drones (a new type)
    Equipped with a Nova reactor, which it can activate to boost weapon power (changing the Ion cannon from S7 AP 2 3shots to a large blast, possibly at S8 AP2), increase it's invulnerable save to 3++ or to do other things (increase stats and maybe required in order to jump).
    Can buy an option granting Skyfire
    Is poseable enough that weapon arms can be switched around and can be assembled in a kneeling position, similar to that of the Firewarriors
    Around 7-8" tall, comes with multiple 'FW style' heads that look compatible with current crisis suits

Sunshark Bomber/Razorshark fighter - £40/US$65
    Plastic kit sculpted by Colin Grayson

Fast Attack choices
    Fighter/gunship is armed with nose mounted burstcannons, and an array of ion weapons mounted in a turret underneath the fuselage. It also has two "pop up" seeker missiles.
    Bomber is armed with a plasma generator which it uses to launch balls of plasma instead of having conventional bombs and a bomb bay.
    Bomber also has two drone fighters, armed with railrifles, that can be launched to defend itself.

Pathfinders (10+ 3 drones) - £20/$US35
    Plastic kit sculpted by Ed Cottreil and Matt Holland

Still a Fast Attack choice
    Markerlights work more or less the same as they do now (boost BS, reduce cover etc)
    Have access to more experimental weapons, as well as Railrifles and pulse carbines.
    Pulse carbines are assault 2
    The 3 drones in the kit are Grav inhibitor, pulse accelerator and recon drone (which can fit in the turret cupola of a devilfish and provide communication relays and fire support).
    It's unknown as to whether other units can take these or if drones are now specific options for each unit
    Special character Pathfinder called Nightstrider

XV88 Broadside Battlesuit - £30/US$50
    Plastic kit with two drones (box art appears to show shield/missile pods), sculpted by Samir Battistotti and Matt Holland

Sniper pose
    New drone options
    Carry the mid range rail weapon - S8 AP1 (looks to be Heavy 1, no rumours of Salvo 2/1)
    Slow and Purposeful, 2+ and T4 now.
    Can take plasma or missiles as well.
    They have a suit upgrade that let's them at the start of a shooting phase have skyfire (with it, they are 85 points).
    They don't have interceptor, nor do they snap fire ground targets.
    Also appears to be a missile pod variant, with a suit mounted seeker missile
    60mm base

XV8 Crisis suit team - £45/US$75
    Plastic set of 3 models, current models

Just a rebox, no new sprue
    Almost certainly can't be taken as troops
    Lots of new bits of wargear, but it's currently how much standard suits can take and how much is special issue wargear.
    Information about this has been put at the bottom under "Miscellaneous rumours"

Commander Farsight - unknown
    Finecast
    Might have rejoined the returned to the Tau'va, Dawn Blade is now a Power Glavie with Tau symbols and designs on it
    Looks almost exactly like the test model Matt Holland did that appeared at GD 2009

Comander in Crisis Enforcer Armour - unknown
    Finecast (presumably)

Very little information, mentioned in Riptide design article
    Apparently has hands extended out for some reason.

Cadre Fireblade - unknown (probably £9)
    Plastic character

Firewarrior upgrade called Cadre Fireblade (maybe be SC or just 'unique')
    IC with split fire, markerlight, supporting fire, volley fire (+1 shot for Pulse Rifles/Carbines if unit and IC do not move).

Special Characters
    Finecast characters
    Dark strider - Pathfinder SC

Longstrike - Special character is "like" Chronus/Pask for tanks.
    Tank Hunter, potential cover boost, tank can overwatch.
    Hammerhead roughly 160-170 WITH character.

Other units
    Firewarriors are 9 points
    Stealthsuits can overwatch at BS2
    Skyray can shoot and ground and air targets (one assumes at full BS).
    Piranhas get cheaper
    Shadowsun may get split fire
    Kroot and Vespid are in, but no new units*

Miscellaneous rumours
    There is something called.... Puretide engram neurochip probably a reserve modifier, Steal the Initiative boost - Tastyfish
    Supporting fire allows other Tau units within 6" to overwatch a charging unit as well. Not sure if this is all Tau units or just specific types.
    Repulsor field. D6 s4 ap- hits to attacking units at I10
    All Ion weapons have a 'supercharge' option but at a risk (gets hot?). Drones can have Ion weapons.
    Disruption pod gives a boost to cover saves
    Last edited by Bigred; 03-20-2013 at 12:26 AM. Reason: latest info added
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Battle-Brother

I'd like new Crisis Suits as the current ones are boxy. They reworked the Stealth Suits once already and the current ones are very nice and in plastic. Not sure why they would rework them a second time.

I like the new rule rumors, particularly the squad buffs. Reminds me of the DE pain token buffs, which adds unique strategy.

Stealthsuit rework - could a variant of the suit issued to shadowsun become default issue, after the "testing of the suit" during the 3rd expasion, and that replace the current 15/25 model? I would also expect that the new crisis suits would also be based on that suit, to some degree, if they are reworking the crisis suit model.

I don't have my codex handy, so I don't know if shadowsun has the stealth suit characteristics or not, and the GW site doesn't say anything either way.

Chaplain

Quote Originally Posted by Scripts View Post
    Stealthsuit rework - could a variant of the suit issued to shadowsun become default issue, after the "testing of the suit" during the 3rd expasion, and that replace the current 15/25 model? I would also expect that the new crisis suits would also be based on that suit, to some degree, if they are reworking the crisis suit model.

I don't have my codex handy, so I don't know if shadowsun has the stealth suit characteristics or not, and the GW site doesn't say anything either way.
    She don't

So her suit is probably the basis for the new crisis suits, I would imagine.

I really like the idea of mini waves before the codex release. Especially if they do it like the demons where they gave us something new and a few small updates.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Bigred View Post
    – this whole set of rumours is 105% fake.

so its true, cause after 100% it should invert or something (i just woke up and am making this up)
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

Quote Originally Posted by ksoh75 View Post
    She don't
    Yeah, she do... She's got a stealthfield generator.

I LIKE the current suits! Yeh they're boxy coming out of the box, but add a little imagination, some bits and glue and POW you've got some serious looking mecha ready to jump all over the board!

IMO, it doesn't need a new kit, just modelers with some imagination and drive! Ok, lotsa bits help too...
    Good Tactical acumen + Bad Dice Rolls = Chronic Systems Failure / Turn 3 concession

Quote Originally Posted by ElfSpeaker View Post
    I really like the idea of mini waves before the codex release. Especially if they do it like the demons where they gave us something new and a few small updates.
    I don't know, I think a lot of people will just wait 'til the codex comes out so they don't waste cash on minis that they might end up not using much.

The kits don't need a redesign so much as rework for more dynamic posing. The boxiness can remain but that doesn't mean the stance should be so square.

Page 1 of 64 1231151 ... LastLast