BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default GW v Chapterhouse Lawsuit Update

According to the GW v Chapterhouse docket, the complaint has been served and filed, so the lawsuit is going forward.

An initial hearing is scheduled for the 28th of February, but so far Chapterhouse hasn't answered the complaint. Technically, the time limit for Chapterhouse to answer the complaint ends on the 10th, but a 60 day informal extension is typical in these cases. Any agreement like this wouldn't show up on the docket since it's not a formal motion.

A more in depth look at the paperwork shows that the plaintiff (represented by Foley and Lardner) filed notice of the summons on January 11th. It was served in person a few days later and then sent back up to Chicago. The process was completed on the 28th. Given that Foley and Lardner's initial letter to Chapterhouse indicated that Chapterhouse had until the 10th to respond, it's reasonable to conclude that serving the complaint on the 11th was the plaintiff's predetermined schedule. If you also consider that the attorneys were unavailable until the 6th of January, it's pretty clear that Games-Workshop fully intended to serve the complaint and had little interest in resolving the issue without doing so.

We now have to wait and see how Chapterhouse answers the complaint.

My best wishes to chapter house that they can come out of this legal case in some form or another.

They've brought this suit upon themselves with their actions, they deserve no pitty nor best of wishes.
    Furthermore they have no chance of winning because should they win, it would tilt the entire way copyrights and trademarks are administered.

Quote Originally Posted by Quaade View Post
    They've brought this suit upon themselves with their actions, they deserve no pitty nor best of wishes.
    Furthermore they have no chance of winning because should they win, it would tilt the entire way copyrights and trademarks are administered.
    I agree COMPLETELY that they brought this on their selves, and they will not win.

But you can still tell the creators of Chapter House really wanted to see this company of theirs do well, and had high hopes. Thus why I hope the preceding legal case dose not end up leading to them having to close there doors for good.
    Last edited by Lockark; 02-01-2011 at 07:10 PM.

Chaplain

Hrm, they will be missed, especially since half their range was more impressive than much of the geniune GW stuff.

Anywho, I did read a post from CH previously that stated that they do not feel they have broken any laws.

Should be an interesting lawsuit if that is the case.

The best option for GW would be to absorb CH and make use of their modelling skills and ideas.

DT.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Dark_Templar View Post
    Hrm, they will be missed, especially since half their range was more impressive than much of the geniune GW stuff.
    Guffaw!! Like what??!?

Anywho, I did read a post from CH previously that stated that they do not feel they have broken any laws.
    It's this arrogance that I find the most objectionable in this case. They figured they were either above, or outside, the rules. There's a reason we haven't seen Armorcast, Maxmini, or any of the other custom bitz makers sued.

The best option for GW would be to absorb CH and make use of their modelling skills and ideas.

DT.
    Really? Maybe you and I are seeing different casts. And as for ideas? Sheeeeit. None of the ideas are original! That's the issue!

While I applaud Chapterhouse for their efforts and their products, filling gaps in GW's product line and responding to market demands, they were far too blatant about what they were doing and were pretty unabashedly stepping on GW's IP which, lets be honest, is 90% of their value (very few people would play 40k without the lore).

Chapterhouse could have produced their kits with little or no modification and avoided this lawsuit, but unfortunately GW must respond in this manner to retain the rights to the IP that makes them what they are.

Librarian

You guys might all want to head down to the "Corporate Discussion" forum... all of this has been argued already.

The Dark Mechanic

Quote Originally Posted by Drew da Destroya View Post
    You guys might all want to head down to the "Corporate Discussion" forum... all of this has been argued already.
    Yeah, this was done to death in another thread that's still fairly recent. This is a duplicate topic thread.
    See my latest eBay auctions at http://shop.ebay.com/zigra/m.html?_dmd=1&_ipg=50&_sop=12&_rdc=1

There is actually some new updates to this topic, I am waiting to hear back from our attorneys on what we should/can post.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast