BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Default Hrud Infestation

I've been working on sculptin' up some Hrud ([URL="http://wh40k.lexicanum.com/wiki/Hrud#.T8LucHlYs4o"]an obscure background race who're pretty awesome![/URL]) for a while; here we go! They're all entirely scratchsculpted, they're the 3rd generation of sculpts I've worked on, but the only ones I've been happy enough with to make press moulds of and paint. Their weapons are integrated into their arms - muzzle at the end, ammohopper on the shoulder.
    Last edited by Rev. Tiberius Jackhammer; 07-24-2012 at 04:45 PM. Reason: Improved the photos.

Chapter-Master

wow they are really cool! they remind me a lot of the newborn from alien ressurection (which terrifies me but i feel sad for it :/)

yeah and youve also given me nightmares...... thanks for that. :P

-fuzz
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

Chaplain

What are you using to make the original sculpts? Greenstuff? It's coming out really good. If I do the Hrud fandex, you'll be set!

Those look great! Totally scratch building lets you make a completely unique and cohesive FEEL to the models that you can't get any other way. If you tried to kit bash guys like these, you'd get too much Tau or Imperial or Necron or Tyranid. You get all Hrud this way. Good job!

Quote Originally Posted by fuzzbuket View Post
    wow they are really cool! they remind me a lot of the newborn from alien ressurection (which terrifies me but i feel sad for it :/)

yeah and youve also given me nightmares...... thanks for that. :P
    :P You're welcome! Yeah, they do look a lot like the Newborn, never really thought about that (underrated movie, not fantastic, but definitely underrated). Part of my inspiration for these guys was [URL="http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_ckBlasgNSzg/SVgBV9OZibI/AAAAAAAAKN0/GLsN15DMtg4/s400/Deep+Sea+Hatchetfish.jpg"]the hatchet fish[/URL], but I thinnnk I might also work some Newborn into the 4th Gen. H'rud.
    Quote Originally Posted by Black Hydra View Post
    What are you using to make the original sculpts? Greenstuff? It's coming out really good. If I do the Hrud fandex, you'll be set!
    They're greenstuff sculpts which were pressmoulded and assembled! The cloaks are made from frayed tissues set with superglue, but I'm looking into ways to improve that. Assembling/painting these gave me a lot of ideas on how to improve 'em, 4th Gen.'s coming along at a decent pace - I have an internship coming up in the middle of nowhere for a month, so I'll probably get a fair bit of sculpting done then :P

Ruleswise, these are Necrons, but I have some H'rud fanrules kicking around, I'll put 'em online when they've been cleaned up a bit. I've tried to make rules which encourage having a messy mixture of diverse models in the same squad, rather than rules which favor units focused to a particular task.
    Quote Originally Posted by Brymm View Post
    Those look great! Totally scratch building lets you make a completely unique and cohesive FEEL to the models that you can't get any other way. If you tried to kit bash guys like these, you'd get too much Tau or Imperial or Necron or Tyranid. You get all Hrud this way. Good job!
    Thanks! The "different but cohesive" thing was definitely a goal, reminded me of some of the Tyranid design documents about common visual themes between the different creatures. Glad they managed to stand out, I was a bit worried the segmented carapaces would look kinda 'Niddish, but the structure's different enough to avoid it. The way I view H'rud, they "construct" bodies for their "young" from engineered fungi/plants/bacteria which function as muscle/bone etc under the control of a H'rud nervous system, so that gives me a lot of room to play with their designs - hence the cyclopic and quadrapedal H'rud.

Busier than I thought in the middle of nowhere, but here're some shots of the WIP 4th gen Hrud bits. 4th gen's on the black card, 3rd on the white. These are assembled using press-molds.

And here's the completed 4th generation Hrud, on the right! (My fave 3rd gen. on the left.) I'm redesigning the gun arm a bit, but other than that I think I'll stick with this look for the rest of 'em. I tried to play up a spinal-cord kinda feel for the limbs, think I'll try and work that motif into future stuff.

Chaplain

Well this project is coming along great. I'm thinking of doing my own sculpts for something eventually. Any tips on pressmoulding? What materials I should get? I found this site a while back and he started selling this cool material:

[url]http://anvilindustry.co.uk/index.php?route=product/product&path=79&product_id=112[/url]

Would that work just fine?

Really awesome scratch-builds, well done! You can really see the improvements from the 3rd generation to the 4th, which isn't to say the 3rd gen weren't great in their own right! Really looking forward to seeing some more 4th gen
    "Paws off ma cheeze!"

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast