BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast
    Fly Lord

Default Hints Regarding 8th Edition in Skaven Book?

Check out this post by Mad Doc Grotsnik on[URL="http://www.dakkadakka.com/dakkaforum/posts/list/262468.page"] Dakka:[/URL]

Just been reading a certain forthcoming Army Book for Fantasy, that may or may not be released in the next couple of squeaks.

And there are a few interesting things in it which I reckon might well be the shape of things to come.

For instance, Artillery. Both bits have a single combined Profile, ala a Chariot. Rather than randomise hits from shooting/ranged magic, you simply use the Artillery's toughness value. In HTH, you use the crews toughness. A single wound track is used, and once all wounds are gone (regardless of how they were inflicted) the whole shebang is removed.

Furthermore, it does indeed appear partial hits are going, which I for one am quite glad about, as they added a not entirely necessary extra roll when splatting stuff.

Am still digging my way through the book, and will report back should I spot any further possible inklings.
    Interesting...
    Got some Juicy News? Email BoLS

Brother-Captain

It's an interesting thought, but I hope it's just speculation. Didn't 7th come out like a year or two ago. I know Fantasy is in a sorry state currently but pushing another edition out of the door won't be helping anybody.

Grand Provost Marshal

Quote Originally Posted by Chumbalaya View Post
    It's an interesting thought, but I hope it's just speculation. Didn't 7th come out like a year or two ago. I know Fantasy is in a sorry state currently but pushing another edition out of the door won't be helping anybody.
    In regards to time-between-editions, if the new edition of the game came out near the end of next year (or mid-year), it'd be ~4 years. That is not fast/er than the standard turnaround (3.85 years average, 4.4 w/o first edition).
    Time spread - WHFB (in years): 1-3-5-4-4-6
    It's just about that time, I guess.

It may be less that they're trying to fix huge parts of the game, and more that they're trying to bring in come common elements from 40k. Non-partials is one thing I can think of.

Why do you say that Fantasy is in a sorry state I here this BUT have no idea why not that much changed?

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by TheBitzBarn View Post
    Why do you say that Fantasy is in a sorry state I here this BUT have no idea why not that much changed?
    SHooting is pretty much worthless ATM, magic, in the new books, is very powerful. Immune to psych is everywhere, most of the never books have 2-4x the number of attacks that a unit in the older books can muster, the average strength in close combat has gone from 3 to 4.5...special rules making unit almost unkillable are also every where (see the dark elves book) there are even a few 'you lose' or 'that unit just leaves the table' buttons in the game...in short its a real mess right now, with a very large power gap. And its more in the army books then they 7th ed rules set.

When did 7th ed come out: 2006 I think.
    DWs: Prussains. KoW: Elves WM: Khador WHFB: Dwarves WH40: IG, SM
    Games-workshop: changing the rules one new codex/army book at a time.

The new edition of WHFB was '06 I believe. I didn't know it was in bad shape tho. I will admit it never quite has had the appeal or addictiveness to me that 40k has. I even sold my FB army last week since I'm moving so I figured it would be one less thing to worry about. *sigh
    letsagetabitarockin!

Brother-Sergeant

'06 really. I cannot believe jsut how quikc the time has gone. i guess it woudlnt be that surprising if we did see a new edition in 2010-2012. Oh I wonder what armies they'll put in the boxset this time. Empire vs Skaven would be nice but i doubt that. I hope its not boring like goblns vs empire. Lizardmen again would be nice

Veteran-Sergeant

The problem I see with WHFB right now will be hard to fix with just a new edition of the rules. The fact that the top 10 at the UK GT were all Dark Elves and Daemon spells out the problem right there. A new edition isn’t going to fix the problem without addressing those books. The problem is GW is not one to rectify a problem quickly, they let things languish for about five or six years and then there seems to be a pendulum swing in the opposite direction; so look for the next Daemon book to be absolute a**.

Not to drop a bomb or anything, but yes, 8th edition will be out next summer with a new boxed set in the fall. I’ve heard Empire vs. Orks in the box with a new O&G book out in Q1 2010. Plastic Empire Knights and Orc Boar boys will be in the new set I’ve heard. They keep one-upping themselves with the box sets so I would expect a mountain of amazing plastics in the new starter set.

Am I telling the truth? Only time will tell…

Dosadi
    "They created a desolation and they called it peace!" -- Tacitus

Can you clarify Dosadi whether you mean an army book, or a source book like the empire had recently?

8th coming out next year I won't question . Contents... Half is what I already know, so I'm inclined to believe that as well.

The book though is extremely unlikely imo. A wave of releases in Q1 I would believe, a book no.

Is that where there could be some confusion, a wave release being linked automatically to a book?

Veteran-Sergeant

Sorry, I meant Q1 2011. Getting so far ahead of myself I'm forgetting what year is what.

However, I've said it over and over again that anything outside of six months is pure speculation. But there is certainly a plan for 2010 and it's going to be a great year for WHFB. It stands to reason that if we are getting Empire and Orcs in the box (I can confirm this with 99% certainty) then we will get revised army books for those two around the same time.

I'm hearing that 8th edition is a significant "upgrade" to the rules and those pitched battles will become a thing of the past. GW has said in several places that the plan is for WHFB to get a level of support rivalling 40k's. So "Legendary Battles", perhaps a Siege book with accompanying Castle kit? We’ve already seen a taste of some of the rules changes with the Skaven book (war machines and blast/template weapons...check it out!).

Dosadi
    "They created a desolation and they called it peace!" -- Tacitus

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast