BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Demi-Legion: Chaos Titan Mega Build-Two Warhounds, One Reaver

Well I couldn't help myself. Being a long time follower of all things Chaotic, when the Forgeworld Chaos Reaver Titan hit I just had to have it. But I was afraid that he would be a little lonely by himself in my display case so I bought two Warhounds to keep him company as well. It seemed like a good idea at the time....

Thus my Chaotic Demi-Legion was born, to ravage apocalypse and gladiator games to no end. However in order to make this plan come to fruition, I had to get my arse in gear and assemble these puppies. Fortunately I have cohorts that are eager and willing to help for their share of plastic toys!

So with a watchful eye and a devoted helper the Legion began to emerge.

Most people by now have heard that assembling these things are a pain the arse. However its mostly just the legs that suck. You really, really have to plan that out carefully. First trim up all your leg pieces from the toes up to the hip joints. Have it all ready to go and your leg build will go smoothly.

It's preferable to have two people for this operation. My helper Andy "Submariner" Holley trimmed down and de-flasher these pieces in no time flat. We used the instructions for inspiration for the leg poses (basically that means we copied it). So while I dry fitted and glued each piece Andy held the hip and legs to make sure everything lined up and the hip joint that attached to the torso would be level.

It all turned out pretty good, and you can even do this without attaching the pistons -except the hamstring one you have to attach that when you build up to the hip.

One last piece of advice. Magnetizing or pinning the leg assembly to the torso will not only give you the ability to move you titan left to right ( and make cool machine gun noises when you shoot), but lets you transport your bad boy easier as well.

I used two 1/2" rare earth magnets here. You have to try and make sure that even with the magnets attached that the two pieces they are connecting remain flush to transfer the force of the Torso assembly to the legs. These magnets will not do all the work by themselves!

So that's it for now, hopefully if the freakish snow lets up we can get more of this done, and move on to the big boy himself, Mr Reaver. The journey of three titans has begun....
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	titan2.jpg 
Views:	1925 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	385   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	titan3.jpg 
Views:	686 
Size:	67.6 KB 
ID:	386   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	titan4.jpg 
Views:	677 
Size:	51.2 KB 
ID:	387   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	titan1.jpg 
Views:	1381 
Size:	40.4 KB 
ID:	388  
    Want even more? Checkout spikeybitsblog.com

Librarian

That's a serious serious project... I thought two thunderbolts and a marauder was a big deal!

looking forward to more pics as you progress
    Cats and Dogs are better than kids because they eat less, don't ask for money and if they get pregnant you can sell their children.

PEW PEW PEW!

Did you pick the legion colors?

Chaplain

I feel ya man, I'm working on two Reavers and I gotta put my warhound back together after a move through countries.
    "I have seen what you will see. I have fought what you must fight, and I have slain what you must slay...." Commander Dante

Veteran-Sergeant

I like the wired in body, can we get a close up.
    We refuse to take sides in this anymore. And we refuse to let you turn us against one another. http://derinaironhandsandmorethings.blogspot.com

SQ- Sure here you go.

Name:	DSC01445.jpg 
Views:	599 
Size:	33.3 KB 
ID:	391  

Quote Originally Posted by Madness View Post
    PEW PEW PEW!

Did you pick the legion colors?
    No not yet, know of anything with black armor, and gold trim?

Veteran-Sergeant

Thanks for the close-up.

Titans had thier own colours.
    We refuse to take sides in this anymore. And we refuse to let you turn us against one another. http://derinaironhandsandmorethings.blogspot.com

There's a poopload of traitor titan legions, you can either pick one or make one up, just make sure you sprinkle heraldries here and there.

Well we were able to get more done on Warhound #1. We're working on the torso now, and while its not quite as hard as doing the legs, it's still important to make sure everything lines up correctly. I also plan on going back and painting the interior. I just want to get the outside painted first because we have an Apocalypse game coming up in a few weeks that I need this guy for.

We started with the power-plant piece that connects to the hips. If you remember from the last article I magnetized it so we could separate and rotate the torso in game. I got a lot of comments saying to protect the magnets themselves from shattering under their own attractive force, and I have to concur with that recommendation. I plan on either putting thin card or a small layer of resin on top of the hip magnet to give it some protection. So good heads up to all that commented on that!

Back to the torso- It's best to lay everything out first, and then dry fit it all together before glueing. First I attached the powe-plant to the forward hatch area. Then I glued the servitor arm sockets on. It's very important to make sure these are level, otherwise your titan arms will be slouching.

After that is all assembled I added on the back shoulders and filled the gaps in the pieces as best I could with some gap filler CA glue. Dry-fitting the top carapace here is a must. I realized after doing this that the right arm was a little off, but manageable. The top servitor hatches glue to the carapace and have to line up with the recesses on the torso assembly. Be sure to double check that and the overall fit of the carapace carefully, you don't want your centerpiece to look like the hunchback.

Next up is the cockpit, and unlike its Imperial cousin, there is almost no assembly involved. All you have to do it insert two control sticks onto the forward control panel, and a support collar to the back. Then you just glue the whole thing to the torso. So I slapped it together and attached it to the torso.

It was kinda hard to figure out the correct positioning of the head without the arms, so I used the feet as reference. Hopefully everything will flow together when I get to the arms.

Name:	DSC01458.JPG 
Views:	555 
Size:	43.1 KB 
ID:	397   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01459.JPG 
Views:	560 
Size:	50.8 KB 
ID:	398   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01460.JPG 
Views:	835 
Size:	50.0 KB 
ID:	399   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01461.JPG 
Views:	573 
Size:	40.0 KB 
ID:	400   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC01489.JPG 
Views:	1065 
Size:	58.9 KB 
ID:	402  

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast