BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Storm Raven MkII WIP

The parade of storm ravens continues...

Having seen that the flying land raider design can work I wanted to go full thunderhawk for my second Storm Raven iteration. Still a lot of work to be done, but it's coming along quite nicely.

Unique (as far as I know) feature of this model is the tilt-rotor style wings that can be rotated between VTOL take off/landing position and horizontal flight position.

Someone said my last version wasn't big enough!

Veteran-Sergeant

I really like where this is going!

A few suggestion though, if you don't mind.

I would kill the whirlwind pods and go for wing mounted missles. You will probably have to lower the rudder/tail if you do all of this as it looks like you made it really tall to stick over the missles.

Also I would have made a second set of engines on the main body having the intakes protrude out next to the cockpit to aleviate the flat plate facing into the wind. Then have the rest of the engines protrude out the back.

Good luck and keep us posted.

the vtol wings are a good idea but having them on just the back section seems too off balance and since you have the two access points for the side in the middle i would try making another smaller set of vtol wings for the front half where you have your wings now

Brother-Sergeant

I like the whole osprey style wing/engine thing. I also like the beefier look. Good job.

Chapter-Master

looks nice but the whirlwind missiles make it top heavy and/or a second set of winggs (valk/Drop pod)
    visit my blog: www.fuzzbuket.blogspot.com I do cheap commsion work
    And COME TO BOLSCON UK and yell about my font!

Thumbs up

I like the direction you are taking. Can you share more photos? Just wondering where you plan to have dreadnought attached? Take pics of the side profile. Only thing I would add is another pair of engines where the cockpit is situated. I might widen the Valkyrie hull to have it even with the landraider hull. Awsome job man. Thank you for sharing.

Veteran-Sergeant

NICE . I like it! Only i would place the missiles beside the cockpit, fills up that empty space. Not realy sure what you did with the back, but it looks like you use the Land Raider kit. I would change that too, kind of weird having exhaust pipes. But again nice going man.

Chapter-Master

Very nice. Looks much better than the Valkyrie conversions, I think.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Thanks very much for the comments, the missiles definitely look better lower down near the cockpit, more streamlined.

The front sponson weapons are still outstanding and some more gaps need to be filled, but the dreadnought grapples are now in place:

Pretty low tech, a hook on the back holds the dread and the rest is just for show using Tau bits and an Ironclad seismic hammer.

I'm quite pleased with the dread's snub-nosed frag cannon actually, the leftover flamestorm muzzles and a tommy gun style ammo drum from the valkyrie rocket pods make for something a bit different.
    The dread's magna grapple on the other hand was a pain to make. It needs to be big to credibly drag a tank but too large and it unbalances the model. Will be interested to see what others come up with.

Chapter-Master

Is that a Frag Launcher? That's pretty cool lookin'!

I am thinking about using a 'harpoon' for the Magna Grapple. Basically, a big giant magnet on the end of a stick, with chain to drag back to the Dread.
    Last edited by Tynskel; 04-09-2010 at 05:32 PM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast