BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Spearhead: Discussion/Reviews

Well I just picked up my June WD today and of course flipped directly to the Spearhead section (well, first section, some genius decided to spread the Spearhead stuff throughout instead of in one section). I wasn't sure what to expect in the way of length and depth as it has been some time since WD actually published rules supplements, but I sure was mighty excited. Anyway, here's a quick overview:

-the actual Spearhead rules themselves take up about 8 pages, including the new Force Org chart and the new "Spearhead formations" along with it.
    -a "Spearhead Formation" is taken separate and outside your normal force organization. You may take up to one Spearhead of each 'type' (12 types in total, found on GW website)
    -not going to get into details but just for anyone wondering, yes you can use all the other troop types (infantry etc) in your Spearhead games. Obviously with altered Force Org though.

Example: Tank Hunters Spearhead - 60 pts + models (up to 3 tanks/walkers), gains Tank Hunters rule
    -the last half of the article consists mainly of missions, deployments, and the like

Personally, this looks like a pretty top-notch supplement for being essentially free. Brings a unique and interesting new style of gameplay that is entirely optional for players. So people who love tanks can have the battle they dreamed of (outside Apoc) and everyone else can go on as they were.

So what does everyone think of this expansion?

Also included in the issue:
    -a Spearhead-related "Liber Apocalyptica" article: Spearhead in Apoc. games and a bunch of new formations (mostly Eldar if I remember correctly, maybe all)
    -rules for the Eldar Night Spinner (with a NS formation in Apoc section)
    -article on choosing a BA army list

Overall for me this is the best WD in recent memory, I highly suggest you pick up a copy!

Chapter-Master

What is the point of Spearhead again?

Don't we have the basic 40k game and Apocalypse, that do essentially the same thing?

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by BuFFo View Post

Don't we have the basic 40k game and Apocalypse, that do essentially the same thing?
    That's a dumb question.....everyone knows the point of Spearhead is artificially inflate White Dwarf sales for one month!!!!

Brother-Captain

That looks much better than I was expecting. It seems like a lot of fun =)

Quote Originally Posted by BuFFo View Post

This is just me, but I think GW feels like Apocalypse is the "big game" variant. Cities of Death, Planetstrike, and Spearhead (as I understand it) are all meant to be played at the level of a normal 40K game.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nabterayl View Post
    This is just me, but I think GW feels like Apocalypse is the "big game" variant. Cities of Death, Planetstrike, and Spearhead (as I understand it) are all meant to be played at the level of a normal 40K game.
    I understand what you mean, but, the point is, if you want to play with all vehicles, aren't we basically doing that now anyway, and if not, you can just do it anyway.

I am against Apocalypse games, just for he fact that before it was called Apocalypse, it was just called 'Big Games' and people have been playing big games for decades. All GW did was brand the house rule style of playing, and put a price tag on something that was/is essentially free to do.

Before Appoc, but AFTER 3rd edition, there was a resentment int eh gaming community about playing Big Games, as 3rd edition sucked in the foundation to all the tourney players we have today. If you asked these players to use your Tyranid Gargantuan Creatures, or Epic Cast Eldar Titans, they would laugh at you. What do we have today? Oh, it is okay to use those models because GW says so, so go out and buy 10 Baneblades.

I saw it personally. Before apoc it was "I wouldn't play against your tank army Buffo" and after Apoc it was "Hey Buffo, I just spent 500 bucks on tanks for APoc, so now it is okay to play big games agains!".

But hey, if people are stupid enough to buy 12 BloodThirsters or 12 Lemon Russes for that once a year game, so be it. I am sure GW doesn't mind.

Spearhead to me, sounds no different than Cities of Death or Planet Strike - you buy the book/DL the rules, and play only 3 games. The books then collect dust and that's it. In my local area, no one plays the supplemental games, because if we wanted to, we would do so with the basic 40k rules anyway.

Now, I know that "one poster" will swear he plays Cities and Apoc every single day. Whatever.
    Last edited by BuFFo; 05-21-2010 at 07:25 PM.

Brother-Captain

But Buffo, I play Apoc every day! (Actually, I might get a chance to play once every 6 months...)

I agree that the basic rules are sufficient to play the larger games, but prior to Apoc, nobody I knew was ever willing to field huge numbers of forces like I would want to, irregardless of FOC and play just for fun. It opened up my style of play to more people.

i'm looking forward to Spearhead, hoping that it gives new options for ways to play tank units. I hate squadrons in the regular games because of the coherancey rules, and can never field enough for my tastes because of FOC limitations. I have skipped Cities of Death and Planetstrike mainly due to cost and lack of local interst. But with other tread heads around, Spearhead may have some viability for some games, even if short lived (which is why I'm happy it's relatively cheap compared to the other books).

JOhn M>

Spearhead to me, sounds no different than Cities of Death or Planet Strike - you buy the book/DL the rules, and play only 3 games. The books then collect dust and that's it. In my local area, no one plays the supplemental games, because if we wanted to, we would do so with the basic 40k rules anyway.
    I totally agree with you on aspects regarding APOC and planetstrike etc. i remember buyign cities of death and 5 minutes later was like why?

My old store used to play big games once a week and then super big games at special occasions. with gigantic WAAAAGHSto determine who got the first turn and all sorts. alas no more if anything apocolypse killed it making things far more complicated and one off than they needed to be, although i do like fact you can use your very expensive forgeworld stuff more regularly.

as for spearhead, i have hopes for it. reasons being, from what i understand, its an alternative force organization option meaning you can have one player using normal codex formation and one player using this alternative tank formation. I might be completely wrong until i get my copy or see a copy, but thats what it sounds like and if thats the case then i see no reason why it should fizzle out as quickly as ..sorry what was it called? planet bike? bonnet strike? oh yeh planet strike

Chapter-Master

Don't get me wrong guys, I hope Spearhead is a fun and worth playing more than just twice...

Don't get me wrong guys, I hope Spearhead is a fun and worth playing more than just twice...
    you and me

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast