BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 40k, the universe and everything...

Hi all, I thought I'd post a small article I sent to Bols, as I doubt it will be posted. In short it's about an analysis of the Mythology of 40k, its inspiration/sources and any suppossed/potential/speculative meaning for us...

‘Fluff’ is King.

I say this because it’s the truth. Everything about the Hobby is an extension of it and the hobby itself exists because of it. Indeed, I regard ‘fluff’ as the most important aspect of the Hobby for this very reason, and am personally somewhat loathed to describe the complex mythology of 40k/warhammer as mere ‘fluff’.

This mythology dictates everything. It dictates the design/concept of all the miniatures (berzerker examples and such notwithstanding) and thus how they are equipped and act upon the battlefield, even to the paint schemes we all love to use. In fact it is remarkable the extent of which GW has borrowed/stolen/developed many existing mythologies/cultural deritas, and the subsequent philosophical concepts, into its own grand mythology – which has, over time, become a true work of fictional genius.

We all may know of the many veiled references within GW’s created myth, and within 40k lore in particular. For example: Abaddon being the Angel of the Bottomless Pit (eye of terror), Ahriman being the main evil in Zoroastrianism (Nietzsche’s prophetic choice for Thus Spoke Zarathustra), Nergal/Nurgle, the Poem ‘The Dark Angel’ written by Lionel Johnson, Astarte being the Ancient Phoenician God of fertility etc.
    The question this brings, to my mind anyway, is, to what is the extent that we can speculate upon this mythology? How far do these names/concepts translate into something tangible that we can relate back to the human ‘condition’? Do we really care?

My point is there is far more to the 40k hobby and its lore than meets the casual eye and I believe it is from these strong mythological concepts that much of our child-like fascination/dedication springs. Why else do we love Space Marines? If they weren’t the 7 foot tall +, genetically/godly engineered, warrior gods armed with thermo-nuclear explosive penetrating guns and were all called names like ‘Gerald’, then none of us would even care.

I will give one such example of this speculative mythological extension, the Emperor. The ‘God’ of humanity has many references contained within his myth, from the Eagle that’s his symbol – any base search will lead to the discovery that it’s an ancient symbol used by the Egyptians, ****s etc…but there is also a case for a link to more esoteric mythology/philosophy. I’ll simply provide a lengthy quote from Manly P. Hall’s ‘The Secret Teaching of All Ages’ and you can all make up your own minds, anything in [-] is an interjection upon my part:

SOLOMON, THE PERSONIFICATION OF UNIVERSAL WISDOM

The name Solomon may be divided into three syllables, SOL-OM [as in the famous chant – all together now ‘OMMMM’] – ON, symbolising light, glory, and truth collectively and respectively. The Temple of Solomon is, therefore, first of all “the House of Everlasting Light,” its earthly symbol being the temple of stone on the brow of Mount Moriah. According to the ancient Mystery teachings, there are three Temples of Solomon – as there are three Grand Masters, three Witnesses, and three Tabernacles of the Transfiguration. The first temple is the Grand House of the Universe, in the midst of which sits the sun (SOL) upon his golden throne. The twelve signs of the zodiac as Fellow-Craftsmen gather around their shining lord. Three lights – the stellar, the solar, and the lunar – illuminate this Cosmic Temple. Accompanied by his retinue of planets, moons, and asteroids, this Divine King (SOLomon), whose glory no earthly monarch shall ever equal, passes in stately pomp down the avenues of space. Whereas Chiram represents the active physical light of the sun, SOLomon signifies its invisible but all-powerful, spiritual and intellectual effulgency [brilliant radiance]…

Of course there is far more to this quote and its actual meaning/value within the Freemasonic mysteries themselves but I hope you can see, as I, the similarities in the God-Emperor. So next time you play a game or discuss the ‘fluff’ why not think if there is any deeper meaning? Why not search for a little truth yourself? You may be surprised at what you find, and, who knows, you may even learn a thing or two…

ARTICLE END...

As an extra I'd ask if you could share any similar associations/revelations on this thread. I think it'll be good to see how many we can collectively spot. Thanks for looking...

Abbess Sanctorum

To be Devil's Advocate for a moment: Fluff changes to justify changes in miniatures and rules...
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

You're right in a sense, but I feel wrong in others. Fluff doesn't change only to justify new models/rules (i.e. money - if I'm correct in interpreting your tone - if not then please forgive my cynicism).

For example the history of the Space Marines has only been added to - not changed completely - rules/sets for chapters have been released but I think only in support of the fluff, indeed because of the fluff, and the demand for it. Not the other way round. Indeed much of the fluff for more established units hasn't been changed, only the design/concept/execution of the miniatures and the evolution of the rules have.

As hobbyists I think we want new armies/races/units and, yes, obviously the fluff is developed in order to bring these about - but not without good reason (it only makes sense for the Space Marines to have a dreadnought retrofitted for sieges - the Ironclad). The developments in new technologies, for both designing and making miniatures, has improved. If GW didn't improve upon their miniatures with each release I think many of us would look elsewhere (I certainly would have but each successive generation seems to get better - though I am truly disappointed at the recent price hike, especially on older ranges - the Tactical Squad being a good example). However we don't know how much, in cost/time, GW has invested in researching and developing these new technologies/programs - or what plans they have in the near future...

Anyway I still think that the fluff is the prime motivator for many of us to join the hobby in the first place, if we recognise the fact or not (as I think the fluff dictates everything). As you quite rightly say, fluff changes & new models/rules come out - but I don't think that's their prime motivation for doing so. I think (perhaps wrongly) that the fluff is as important as the models/rules and the hobby would be nothing without it. Again sorry for the long post/tangent...
    Last edited by MutantLoveFist; 07-04-2010 at 11:12 AM. Reason: explanation...

Abbess Sanctorum

The history of Space Marines changed drastically at one point.

From Rogue Trader to Second Edition.

For example, at one point Space Marines were policed by the Sisters of Battle.
    The mouth of the Emperor shall meditate wisdom; from His tongue shall speak judgment

It may be more accurate to say, rather than "Fluff is King", "Fluff is President".

Fluff, while indeed interesting thoroughly and, I would speculate, both radical and gnarly, it can, and often is, shifted dramatically by the consensus of its constituent parts. If the rules change so that one thing happens, the fluff will shift to accommodate it. Likewise for modeling, market audience, even fan-demand.
    Ask not the Eldar a question, for they will give you three answers - all of which are true and terrifying to know.

Quote Originally Posted by Melissia View Post
    The history of Space Marines changed drastically at one point.

From Rogue Trader to Second Edition.

For example, at one point Space Marines were policed by the Sisters of Battle.
    I'm sorry to correct you but they still are. Space Marine chapters are required to give gene samples to the Imperial/Inquisitorial powers either regularly or on demand to test for purity of geneseed. The Ordo Hereticus keeps an eye on all Imperial Institutions, including the Astartes. If any Space Marine chapter generates any deviance or is else preaching something the Ordo deems heretical, or its Librarians use major powers unseen within other Space Marine chapters, they will investigate and purge if necessary.

I feel bad. I kind of wanted this to be more about the influences/origins of the fluff. On new editions/rules and models dictating fluff I still slightly disagree (about 60:40) - but perhaps I'm being naive. They are continually developing the 40k lore and myth as it’s a whole continuation of story. For example the mass campaigns on Ichar IV and the 13th Black Crusade helped to develop new story lines and codex material, maybe not 100% accurately in accordance with the campaign results, but they still served as a guide.

As for Fluff being President that probably is a better analogy. I still feel the fundamentals of the fluff rarely changes, it might expand and give a new point of view on an established thing (as with the Necron Star gods and their relation to the creation/desolation of the Universe). As another example the Chaos Daemons fluff has changed little - yes they've added Bloodletters mounted on Juggernaughts and have fleshed it out - but the daemons themselves remain fundamentally the same - only the rules/miniature design has changed in line with new editions/technology.

In all I think the fluff is a more organic process of creation - it continues to evolve but this is due to more space/time being allowed within the new codices. I'm looking forward to the Dark Eldar (when/if they appear) and to see what their codex will bring to the fluff in general...and yes, along with great minis (they could hardly do worse) and the new 'unbeatable' stigma they will, most likely, receive.

OMG I've done a hench post again!

wow, nice article. Makes you stop and think. Once upon a time I also believed that fluff was something designers used to make allowances towards models, rules, etc... but when you think about it, it is exactly just that which we desire. I believe in the concept of the fluff evolves over time, and that keeps things both interesting and somewhat cohesive. Without changes to it, we all might as well be playing with the rogue trader rulebook. In my experience, when a person complains about changes in fluff about their army, its usually because it didn't agree well with their version of how it should be. Not to mention its probably pretty hard keeping what, hundreds? of writers past and present to agree to a single train of thought as there are bound to be minor discrepancies. Major ones would be rarer, and in most cases the new version of events are not as far fetched as one would think. Not to mention we get all those tasty new minis to go with the 'overpowered' new rules.

Abbess Sanctorum

Quote Originally Posted by MutantLoveFist View Post
    I'm sorry to correct you but they still are. Space Marine chapters are required to give gene samples to the Imperial/Inquisitorial powers either regularly or on demand to test for purity of geneseed. The Ordo Hereticus keeps an eye on all Imperial Institutions, including the Astartes
    And this has nothing to do with the Sisters of Battle. Unless you're trying to say the Ecclesiarchy hunts down and destroys rogue chapters. Which it doesn't. Yes, the Sisters of Battle might be called to attack a rogue chapter, but tell me-- have you ever actually read any fluff since Rogue Trader that supports that having ever happened?

Well, an Inquisitor took a bunch of Sisters to investigate a rogue chapter, I forget which one, and they got sacrificed and et by said rogue chapter. God forbid SoB should ever win. I think its one of those Eclessiarcht/Ordo Hereticus things. So it kind of goes with the P that the fluff evolves but doesn't suffer radical change.

Quote Originally Posted by Melissia View Post
    And this has nothing to do with the Sisters of Battle. Unless you're trying to say the Ecclesiarchy hunts down and destroys rogue chapters. Which it doesn't. Yes, the Sisters of Battle might be called to attack a rogue chapter, but tell me-- have you ever actually read any fluff since Rogue Trader that supports that having ever happened?
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Abbess Sanctorum

So ONE outdated reference :P

Any other Inquisitorial reference to destroying Marines tends to be with Exterminatus or with Grey Knights.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast