BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Did i get ripped off?

I just revived some thallax and castellax models from an ebay auction. The seller was in the US and did not have a long list of suspicious sales of the same items, so i thought I was safe from buying recasts. that said when they arrived i found them to be vary brittle and a light yellow color. I have never bought forgeworld models before so i brought them to a friend who has an extensive experience with forgeworld he thought they were recasts. Based on this i asked the seller if i could return them. His response is that he did not take returns and that i couldn't know if they are recasts because forgeworld resin comes in a variety of colors. My next step is to open a formal complaint with ebay, however i want to do my due diligence before i do so. Can anyone give me advice on how to tell if they are legit

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

Quote Originally Posted by kire View Post
    I just revived some thallax and castellax models from an ebay auction. The seller was in the US and did not have a long list of suspicious sales of the same items, so i thought I was safe from buying recasts. that said when they arrived i found them to be vary brittle and a light yellow color. I have never bought forgeworld models before so i brought them to a friend who has an extensive experience with forgeworld he thought they were recasts. Based on this i asked the seller if i could return them. His response is that he did not take returns and that i couldn't know if they are recasts because forgeworld resin comes in a variety of colors. My next step is to open a formal complaint with ebay, however i want to do my due diligence before i do so. Can anyone give me advice on how to tell if they are legit
    ok first off.

If your seller is selling large ammounts of FW models at lower than FW standard prices, then its probably a re-cast. FW doesnt do wholesaling.

That being said, the colour for FW resin DOES drastically change from batch to batch and yes it can be yellow.

ultimately without any of us having pictures we cant tell you anything more
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

Quote Originally Posted by kire View Post
    Ultimately you have to ask yourself if the models look good. If you got them at a good price and can't tell without asking us if they are knock offs, then nobody else is ever going to know either. It is the nature of the modern beast that the recasts are generally as good as the originals these days, so I wouldn't worry about it.

Chaplain

I have only ever seen grey resin for Forge World models, but that does not mean a lot. To me the comment from the seller
    His response is that he did not take returns and that i couldn't know if they are recasts because forgeworld resin comes in a variety of colors.
    is a little telling. He is not denying it, he is saying you can't tell, i.e. he is deflecting the question rather than answering it. Also, in the original description on eBay did he market them as genuine Forge World products? Or just as the troop type they are?

It is this sort of thing that makes me wary of on line purchase.

In the mean time, if you are stuck with them, coat them in spray on varnish. A little heavier than usual to toughen them up so they don't break if you drop them.
    Last edited by Da Gargoyle; 06-19-2014 at 08:32 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Caitsidhe View Post
    Ultimately you have to ask yourself if the models look good. If you got them at a good price and can't tell without asking us if they are knock offs, then nobody else is ever going to know either. It is the nature of the modern beast that the recasts are generally as good as the originals these days, so I wouldn't worry about it.
    The ones I've seen have generally been similar quality, but the actual resin is inferior, being more brittle and "harder" than typical FW resin. On top of that, some people feel morally dubious about getting knock offs.

Some pictures of teh models might help in deciding if they are knock offs or not.
    http://www.celestial-lions.net - witness my insanity

Quote Originally Posted by Krefey View Post
    The ones I've seen have generally been similar quality, but the actual resin is inferior, being more brittle and "harder" than typical FW resin. On top of that, some people feel morally dubious about getting knock offs.

Some pictures of teh models might help in deciding if they are knock offs or not.
    In fairness the resin quality of Forge World varies WIDELY from batch to batch. I have numerous Forge World items all ordered directly from them and the resin has gone from being brittle to ridiculously pliant. It sounds to me like you have recasts but in the end it won't mean anything one way or the other. With the entrance of yoymart into the mix it literally is impossible to know anything anymore.

In fairness the resin quality of Forge World varies WIDELY from batch to batch. I have numerous Forge World items all ordered directly from them and the resin has gone from being brittle to ridiculously pliant. It sounds to me like you have recasts but in the end it won't mean anything one way or the other. With the entrance of yoymart into the mix it literally is impossible to know anything anymore.
    Fair enough. That hasn't matched my personal experience with Forgeworld, but being my own experiences, it's purely anecdotal anwyay.
    http://www.celestial-lions.net - witness my insanity

Chapter-Master
    Undertaking private security operations somewhere in the Human Sphere

pictures would help us alleviate or validate your concerns
    Morbid Angels:http://www.lounge.belloflostsouls.net/showthread.php?7100-Morbid-angel-WIP
    I probably come across as a bit of an ***, don't worry I just cannot abide stupid.

In fairness the resin quality of Forge World varies WIDELY from batch to batch. I have numerous Forge World items all ordered directly from them and the resin has gone from being brittle to ridiculously pliant.
    This is my experience as well. I have lots of FW stuff and I have to say the resin they use is not the best IMO. It is often brittle and easily broken. Frankly the few recasts I have seen (that I know for sure were recasts anyway) were actually better quality resin than what I have gotten from Forge World.

Quote Originally Posted by silashand View Post
    recasts I have seen (that I know for sure were recasts anyway) were actually better quality resin than what I have gotten from Forge World.
    Same for me.
    And add to this the huge quantity of oily substance left on the casts of FW... There is so much left that you struggle to get rid of it even after 2 or 3 baths. It's a pain to paint over it. I've spent more time scrubbing than painting some models... The more recesses on the model, the harder it is (yes, I'm thinking of you my beloved Plague Ogryns ).
    For their books, they get my money all the time. Not a second of hesitation when it comes to buying this quality stuff from them.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast