BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum

Hybrid View

Ork book ruined, dark eldar possibly ruined. Both of my main armies could be awful now; I'm going to go work on my Dark Age minis while I consider if it's worth waiting through this edition or if I should just sell all my 40k stuff for pennies on the dollar.

I'll give credit credit where it's due, many of GW's new Codexes have been good. I think they did good things with the Astra Militarum, Space Wolves, Space Marines, Daemons and such. Orks were debatable, Nids were obviously just bad. Unfortunately, it looks like Dark Eldar will be somewhere between Nids and Orks.

GW, just let Jeremy Vetock, Phil Kelly, and Adam Bligh write your damn codexes and be done with it.

Chapter-Master

Sure, if you count like the last two years of codices, they've got some good codices in there. But of the actual "new" new codices, Ork players seem to almost universally hate the new Ork codex, most of us Grey Knight players dislike 90% of the new codex, no one plays Space Wolves anymore, and it seems like Dark Eldar players are already jumping on the hate train. Anything before that was the old style of books where they didn't cut out half the special characters, nerf basically everything, etc.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Dark Eldar have been my main and favorite army since I first started playing. Ever since the Grey Knights dex came out I have been dreading the day they would come for my codex and leave it in shambles. I can honestly say I am no longer afraid of that. These changes aren't bad guys, they are simply changes. We have seen how GW has gone around and taken a lot of the individual flare out of our armies and replaced it with mediocre and bland rules. That is NOT what they have done here. The flavor of the Dark Eldar has definitely been maintained.

Yes I'm going to miss Vect (hopefully not forever) and Sliscus, but this is in my opinion the best dex to come out after 7th edition, and one of the better one's since 6th.

Quote Originally Posted by Archon XIII View Post
    Dark Eldar have been my main and favorite army since I first started playing. Ever since the Grey Knights dex came out I have been dreading the day they would come for my codex and leave it in shambles. I can honestly say I am no longer afraid of that. These changes aren't bad guys, they are simply changes. We have seen how GW has gone around and taken a lot of the individual flare out of our armies and replaced it with mediocre and bland rules. That is NOT what they have done here. The flavor of the Dark Eldar has definitely been maintained.

Yes I'm going to miss Vect (hopefully not forever) and Sliscus, but this is in my opinion the best dex to come out after 7th edition, and one of the better one's since 6th.
    I don't think its more of a change that people are upset about, but the fact that everything seems to have gotten worse.
    HERO's Gaming Blog

Quote Originally Posted by HERO View Post
    I don't think its more of a change that people are upset about, but the fact that everything seems to have gotten worse.
    Twin-linked shard carbine trueborn on a Raider with a 3+ Jink save is totally worse. I apologize for my optimism.
    Pray we don't take you alive.

No but it doesnt need to be "worse" because its bad to begin with. Shard trueborn are extremely expensive (thats 160 for the trueborn alone without raider) and all they do is adding 10 more poison shots. For the same price you get 2 squads of kabalites which have even more shots than 10 shardborn.
    Also you will need your Truborn on Tank duty as they are the only option left in the book after Ravagers lost the Flickerfield und Wyches lost their HWG.

Quote Originally Posted by Archon XIII View Post
    Twin-linked shard carbine trueborn on a Raider with a 3+ Jink save is totally worse. I apologize for my optimism.
    Twin-linked shard carbines is available now. But now you have a 5+ Flickershield on a 70 point Raider (meaning, the 5th Ed book), vs. 55+15 for a Night Shield Raider. The big difference here is the option to Jink for 4+ or save with a 5+ vs. things that ignore cover. You don't have that option now.
    Last edited by HERO; 09-29-2014 at 12:03 PM.
    HERO's Gaming Blog