BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Drop Troop Reserves

I have a Drop Troop PLT with a Plt Com Sqd(Valk) and 2 Trp Sqds(Valks) with a SWS and a HWS Can i deploy the HWS & SWS by themselves then reserve the other units or do they all have to appear at the same time?
    Own the skies, Own the battlefield

They can be Deployed while the other squads are in placed in Reserves. Nothing requires that they all be Deployed or placed in Reserves together.

Chapter-Master

wait, if this is the Imp Guard book, platoons are all placed in reserves together. I believe that is page 78.

It this is the Elysian rules, I don't know how they work.

Brother-Sergeant

Imperial Guard Codex, pg 96 "Each Infantry Platoon counts as a single Troops choice on the force organisation chart when deploying, and is rolled for collectively when rolling for reserves."

I don't interpret this to the effect that "platoons are all placed in reserves together". Do you get that from somewhere else?

Brother-Captain

I've always played that an infantry platoon can be split up, with part on the table and part in reserve. It's a common thing to see a blob squad deployed with the JO squad from that platoon kept in reserve.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by BlueRonin View Post
    Imperial Guard Codex, pg 96 "Each Infantry Platoon counts as a single Troops choice on the force organisation chart when deploying, and is rolled for collectively when rolling for reserves."

I don't interpret this to the effect that "platoons are all placed in reserves together". Do you get that from somewhere else?
    They count as 1 choice, and you roll once for the whole lot. The entire portion must go in reserves, or be set up on the board.

This is the opposite of Combat Squads. Where one unit can become many.

First-Captain

I think it can be argued both ways, but to give tynskel credit, its impossible to roll for the WHOLE platoon collectively without the whole platoon in reserve.
    For the Greater good.

Chapter-Master

you can play this to your advantage--- the rules do not state they all have to come in the same way, they just all have to be deployed into reserves or on the board. Through a variety of special rules (for the most part, they do not exist for platoons) you can enter from your board edge, outflank, and deep strike, all from 1 roll. If the Elysian rules are written the same way, this is quite an advantage. You could have 50% of your forces in one platoon, and place them into reserves, and know that 50% of your army will always come in on a single turn.

Chaplain

It doesnt actually say they have to all be deployed together, just that they count as a single troops choice on the force org when deploying. The only thing I assume this means is that if you are using dawn of war setup then you can have a whole platoon at start up as one of your troops selections.

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by AirHorse View Post
    It doesnt actually say they have to all be deployed together, just that they count as a single troops choice on the force org when deploying. The only thing I assume this means is that if you are using dawn of war setup then you can have a whole platoon at start up as one of your troops selections.
    hmmm... I am not sure where you get the idea that 'single' translates to 'plural' so, you will have to explain your reasoning.

Second---- dawn of war states units, not 'troops choices': platoon is 1 troops choice made up of many units.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast