BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by lobster-overlord View Post
    You're not opening them far enough. You have to take them past the little catch at the 90 degree point, at which time, they click and stay open. Then when done, you put a little force past the catch and they close just fine....
    The latest ones I've bought haven't had this catch. My older foundations do, but not my newer ones, I only hope it's a dodgy batch of lids, because it gives me the sh*ts.

I've never really understood the point of these. Do new painters really spend one hundred and fifty pounds on a paint set like this? If not, do veterans really spend it when they probably already have most of the bits anyway? I realise it is a huge saving but there are some citadel paints I hardly use and some I use a lot so buying everything as a set doesn't really suit my purposes.
    Ask not the EldarGal a question, for she will give you three answers, all of which are puns and terrifying to know. Back off man, I'm a feminist. Ia! Ia! Gloppal Snode!

Iron Father

Quote Originally Posted by klunc View Post
    The latest ones I've bought haven't had this catch. My older foundations do, but not my newer ones, I only hope it's a dodgy batch of lids, because it gives me the sh*ts.
    Nope mine are the same, older foundations are fine but the newer pots don't have them.
    http://paintingplasticcrack.blogspot.co.uk

Chapter-Master

Quote Originally Posted by eldargal View Post
    I've never really understood the point of these. Do new painters really spend one hundred and fifty pounds on a paint set like this? If not, do veterans really spend it when they probably already have most of the bits anyway? I realise it is a huge saving but there are some citadel paints I hardly use and some I use a lot so buying everything as a set doesn't really suit my purposes.
    My thoughts entirely. I'm not going to use half of the paints in there and most noobs are really going to be put off by a) the price tag and b) the rather duanting number of paints. As a noob with any sense you would get one of the starter paint sets and build up from there.
    Chief Educator of the Horsemen of Derailment "People demand freedom of speech to make up for the freedom of thought, which they avoid." SOREN KIERKEGAARD

Banned

My brother would have liked to have bought the set when he moved, as we'd been sharing paints so it's a good replacement. But it wasn't available then so he didn't. And maybe if you've suffered a fire or flood - but apart from that I can't see much use either.

Quote Originally Posted by Necron2.0 View Post
    I use standard acrylic paint you can buy at any hobby/craft store. I've never had any issues with getting the effects I want, and I pay half as much for twice the paint.
    When I started out I painted models with that paint. At 1st I thought it was fine.

Then started using some of the real acrylic model paints and realized how much better they are, and how much better you can get the models to look in the end.

The paint you get from craft stores is crap, and very cheaply made. It is good for doing Terran and basing, but it's grainy texture and thickness makes it inappropriate for modles. (Not to mention it covers very poorly most of the time.)
    =U

I personally use a mix of GW, Reaper, and P3 Paints.

If I had the money I'd love get this my self. I never paint any of my stuff uniform. Well the main army colors will be the same, I will change up the detailing to make my armies less "uniform" and to individualize the models.

I also like to mix pots of paint to make different highlight colors and such.

Basically this is for someone like me who realy enjoys the painting aspect of the hobby. Problem is well in the long run a set like this would easily save me allot of money, I have a hard time justifying being able to drop that kind of cash on paint in one go.
    =/

I'd take all thows paints out of that cast, stick in models, and use everything in that set.
    >___O

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlift View Post
    Nope mine are the same, older foundations are fine but the newer pots don't have them.
    I've noticed this also. At 1st it realy bothered me also, but I just learned to deal with it. (Just let the lid rest, and push open when I need paint.)

Recently I now find that these clear plastic paint pots are some of my favorite ones. I find my paints don't dry out nearly as fast as the older GW pots, and the 1st gen foundation pots.

My only complaint is that their to small volume wise for someone like me who likes to do alot of paint mixing. That and the fact GW doesn't sell empty paint pots any more!
    >____O
    Last edited by Lockark; 10-23-2011 at 11:01 PM.
    Warhammer 40k = Emperor's Children(CSM) and Orks.
    Brush Fire: Historia Rodentia= Aquitar, Vandalands, and Ribenguo.

Brother-Captain

If I had the money and didn't have two room mates to share paint with, I'd probably consider it.

Yeah, I'll go through a lot more pots of the main colours of any army, but I like having tons of other paints for all the little details - loads of metallics for iconography, for example. Or lots of shades of various colours for blending/detail work on gems or helmet lenses, etc.

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by lobster-overlord View Post
    You're not opening them far enough. You have to take them past the little catch at the 90 degree point, at which time, they click and stay open. Then when done, you put a little force past the catch and they close just fine...

I think it's a great value too, but being one of those people who love to paint, I've already got a huge collection of paints from every company already...
    I actually prefer the newer pots, you don't lose alot of wasted paint on the inner rim. You know that, crust on the inside of the pot that becomes unusable...

huge lot o paints: nah I'm good. It would be years before I got into half of the bottles.
    DWs: Prussains. KoW: Elves WM: Khador WHFB: Dwarves WH40: IG, SM
    Games-workshop: changing the rules one new codex/army book at a time.

Chapter-Master

I got one last year. I had enough paints that I needed to replace to justify it. I also needed some brushes, so they were an added bonus.

If you paint at least twice a week, it's more than reasonable to get this every year. There are plenty of paints I roll through faster than others (bleached bone, boltgun, all the washes), and I don't use a single 'hobby' paint (GW, Privateer, etc) for terrain. At all. Do I use the purples a ton? No. But that's like, a total palatte of 3 colors. The savings on this sucker covers it.

And craft paints are not acceptable if you want your minis to look nice. Okay for drybrushing terrain and bases? Yes. Okay for a $20 mini. Nope.

www.queencityguard.com

Brother-Captain

Quote Originally Posted by Lockark View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Necron2.0 View Post
    I use standard acrylic paint you can buy at any hobby/craft store. I've never had any issues with getting the effects I want, and I pay half as much for twice the paint.
    When I started out I painted models with that paint. At 1st I thought it was fine.

Then started using some of the real acrylic model paints and realized how much better they are, and how much better you can get the models to look in the end.

The paint you get from craft stores is crap, and very cheaply made. It is good for doing Terran and basing, but it's grainy texture and thickness makes it inappropriate for modles. (Not to mention it covers very poorly most of the time.)
    =U

I personally use a mix of GW, Reaper, and P3 Paints.
    Yes, a lot of the craft paints are crap, but some are excellent - you just need to be a bit finicky. I also tend to rework my paints a bit, adding extenders, additives and such. I've been at this for longer probably than some people on the forum have been alive. I went from cheap craft paint, to artist's paint, to specialty paint, and now I'm back to craft paint (judiciously chosen and applied). But you're right, I almost never use paint straight from the bottle.

Necron2.0 (a.k.a. me) - "I used to wrestle with inner demons. Now we just sit for tea and scones, and argue over the weather."

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast