BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast
    Battle-Brother

Default 6th Ed Fleet rule clearification

If you fleet move do you lose the ability to assault? If so this will be a big nurf for orks I hope it is a big over by GW

Chapter-Master

5th ed - Fleet allowed you to run then assault

6th ed - If you run you can NEVER assault, even with fleet.
    However fleet allows you to re-roll your run and your assault distance dice

It screws a lot of races far worse than it does Orks, so don't worry about yourself too much
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Battle-Brother

that kills my 12" waagh assault

Quote Originally Posted by bootstrapbill View Post
    that kills my 12" waagh assault
    Just be glad you don't play Mech Eldar and go on your merry way slaying 'umies

I'm not sure how much you're really getting screwed since fleet Fleet allows you to reroll Charge distances, and you now Charge 2D6".

Here's what I mean. If you Ran then Charged in 5th, the best you could get is 12". In 6th, if you don't Run but do Charge, the best you can get is...12".

For units that don't have Fleet, their average charge distance is going to be 7". With Fleet, it's going to be more than that.

Edit: Yeah, Orks are getting screwed lol. Everyone else is probably going alright.

Quote Originally Posted by kjolnir View Post
    I'm not sure how much you're really getting screwed since fleet Fleet allows you to reroll Charge distances, and you now Charge 2D6".

Here's what I mean. If you Ran then Charged in 5th, the best you could get is 12". In 6th, if you don't Run but do Charge, the best you can get is...12".

For units that don't have Fleet, their average charge distance is going to be 7". With Fleet, it's going to be more than that.

Edit: Yeah, Orks are getting screwed lol. Everyone else is probably going alright.
    because in 5th edition, the LEAST you could get was 7". In 6th edition, the LEAST you can get is 2".

Quote Originally Posted by Demonus View Post
    because in 5th edition, the LEAST you could get was 7". In 6th edition, the LEAST you can get is 2".
    Depends on the situation. The least you could get in 5th was 1". Roll a 1 for run, and roll something less than needed for the assault through difficult terrain.

It's not a HUGE deal for me, but all the stuff with which I want to assault is either a flyer or fleet, sooo...

Pretty much everyone else is getting screwed, though.

Chapter-Master

Used to be you moved 6, ran 6, and assaulted 6. Now, you move 6 and assault 2d6. Even with the reroll, it doesn't quite make up for the fact that you've lost that last guaranteed 6" and have to roll for it instead. Fleet units are slower now. You have to be a little bit luckier to move as fast as you used to, and if you have bad luck you can be a lot slower.
    I am the Hammer. I am the right hand of my Emperor. I am the tip of His spear, I am the gauntlet about His fist. I am the woes of daemonkind. I am the Hammer.

Quote Originally Posted by DarkLink View Post
    Used to be you moved 6, ran 6, and assaulted 6. Now, you move 6 and assault 2d6. Even with the reroll, it doesn't quite make up for the fact that you've lost that last guaranteed 6" and have to roll for it instead. Fleet units are slower now. You have to be a little bit luckier to move as fast as you used to, and if you have bad luck you can be a lot slower.
    Depending on the situation, however. That last "guaranteed" 6" wasn't guaranteed at all if it was going through difficult terrain. It could quickly turn into a guaranteed 0" if you rolled less than what you needed to assault. Which any player worth his salt is going to try to force you to do.

I can see both sides. While the minimum in 5th (1") was somewhat situational, the situation occurred regularly. The minimum in 6th is 2", regardless of situation.

Chapter-Master

Also...isn't a fleet roll of a guarenteed 6 only for WAAGGHh turns with Ghazgul?

Every other fleet unit was 6" move, D6" run and 6" assault, no re-rolls

Now they're 6" + 2D6" with re-rolls.

Assuming a D6 average of 3.5, 5th ed gave you an avaerage of a 15" threat radius.
    6th ed gives 13" before re-rolls. We're probably about the same now.
    Autarch, Shas'o, Chaos Lord and Decadant Lord of the Webway. And a Doctor!
    http://drlove42.blogspot.com/

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast