BoLS Lounge : Wargames, Warhammer & Miniatures Forum
Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

That's a real bummer that Warhammer World staff were being so tight with that modelling and painting stuff. I paint my stuff up to a nice standard, but not everyone has the time or patience for that aspect of the hobby.

On the subject of a plastic Thunderhawk, holy Terra. That's some a guaranteed purchase from me once they roll it out (eventually). Glad to hear Sisters are on their way, as I would love to have a force of them for allies.

Brother-Sergeant

Quote Originally Posted by silashand View Post
    it seems clear it was meant to be a DA list and anyone looking at it would likely know what everything was as soon as he said something. Personally I would probably have told the judge to piss off and left. JMO though...
    I share this opinion; I cannot believe that this truly happened. I don't know if I would do anything different than what you suggested.
    "Sometimes you just have to roll the hard six." -Admiral Adama
    Like my posts and ideas? Visit my Blog! http://www.dave40k.blogspot.com

I am on the fence here. On one hand I hate when people use models painted as one army as proxies for another (just my opinion as I think it looks dumb and violates the fluff too much for my tastes). However, with the conversions you say the guy had it seems clear it was meant to be a DA list and anyone looking at it would likely know what everything was as soon as he said something. Personally I would probably have told the judge to piss off and left. JMO though...

Cheers, Gary
    Personally, I'd have just lied and said they were a successor chapter to the Dark Angels and picked out some random name to justify their insignia and colours. Calling them the White Angel Lightnings or something...

Out of curiosity, did Throne of Skulls allow Forgeworld units?

Chapter-Master

However, with the conversions you say the guy had it seems clear it was meant to be a DA list and anyone looking at it would likely know what everything was as soon as he said something. Personally I would probably have told the judge to piss off and left. JMO though...
    Hard call when you have paid some £60 up front for a ticket!

Quote Originally Posted by Christopher Szynkowski View Post
    Out of curiosity, did Throne of Skulls allow Forgeworld units?
    Forgeworld miniatures were allowed. People did get away with Contemptors for Dreads which sort of puts the proxy thing back in it's box! However I suppose its a bigger target so not disadvantageous. However, forgeworld rules and army lists were not allowed.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Alpha Legion Operative

Quote Originally Posted by Denzark View Post
    No proxies. This is subject to interpretation, but they seem to enforce it based on 'if it has a model is must be used' and conversions must be pre-approved if heavy and not blatantly obvious what the mini is. One fellow who fell foul had an immaculately painted army with Dark angel minis, but painted as White Scars. Even though it had conversions like landspeeders with twin lascannons for preds, he was made to re-write the list as a White Scars list. So the big ugly speeder was a LR etc. I thought this was quite harsh.
    Harsh or not, this has been in the event pack for a couple of years - and if you are doing anything like "painting your army as a different Chapter", you really, really should be mailing to check before you rock up with the wrong list. This wouldn't have been hard to check in advance, and the old event packs definitely warned you about proxies.

Alpha Legion Operative

Rumours

These were picked up from attendees not any GW staff. I cannot comment on the provenance. But, 2 main ones. Firstly, plastic T-Hawk is designed. However it currently takes 7 sprues. Apparently the problem is that the big boy kit machine can only do 6 at a time. So the sprues need rehashing to try and cram it all in to make it economical. (I know, I know...) The other is that plastic Sisters are done. The timing of the new codex is an attempt to whittle down some apparently high stocks of current metal.
    I have been to Warhammer World a few times, and there are always a couple of locals and a few guests who are happy to wax on about their latest theories about what is coming and what is ready. Their accuracy rate is no greater or worse than the guys at your local game shop - and remember Throne of Skulls is a gathering of players from all over the country. Without any provenance or sourcing, this is just the usual noise on the wind. It could be someone who saw a sprue, it could be someone repeating things they heard on the internet, or it could be someone with low self confidence trying to get some attention by appearing to be in the know. There is no way of telling.

Alpha Legion Operative

Forgeworld miniatures were allowed. People did get away with Contemptors for Dreads which sort of puts the proxy thing back in it's box! However I suppose its a bigger target so not disadvantageous. However, forgeworld rules and army lists were not allowed.
    With a side note to say that their Campaign Weekends and Legendary Battles usually allow some Forge World rules and lists, depending on the individual rules packs.

If you're putting down Land Speeders and calling them Predators, I can see why you'll be asked to use them as Land Speeders. Thats common sense and its in the Tournament rules pack, everyone has to stick to it, so why should that be an exception?

As for the rumours, its just not happening, the Sisters codex, if it does get a hardback release, which as it was called a "Digital Exclusive" it might not, will be exactly as the digital version, they won't be getting any new models, if the digital sales had been good enough, perhaps.

Chapter-Master

'Responsible' are you deliberately trying to sound snippy? I have responded to your points below.

Quote Originally Posted by theresponsibleone View Post
    Harsh or not, this has been in the event pack for a couple of years - and if you are doing anything like "painting your army as a different Chapter", you really, really should be mailing to check before you rock up with the wrong list. This wouldn't have been hard to check in advance, and the old event packs definitely warned you about proxies.
    Old event packs did indeed cover proxies, the comment pertained purely to the fact that this is the first time in my experience that they have enforced it heavily.

I have been to Warhammer World a few times, and there are always a couple of locals and a few guests who are happy to wax on about their latest theories about what is coming and what is ready. Their accuracy rate is no greater or worse than the guys at your local game shop - and remember Throne of Skulls is a gathering of players from all over the country. Without any provenance or sourcing, this is just the usual noise on the wind. It could be someone who saw a sprue, it could be someone repeating things they heard on the internet, or it could be someone with low self confidence trying to get some attention by appearing to be in the know. There is no way of telling.
    You are again correct. I mentioned provenance in my OP. This is what the intelligence world would refer to (Brit parlance) as single source uncorroborated. I did not say this was the Holy Grail and to bet your respective mortgages on it.

With a side note to say that their Campaign Weekends and Legendary Battles usually allow some Forge World rules and lists, depending on the individual rules packs.
    Yes you are correct. But the individual asked about Throne of Skulls. Not generic GW tournies, not campaign weekends, not battle brothers, not Assault on Vidar's left nipple, the 1998 Blood Bowl tournament or anything else but Throne of Skulls. So that is what I answered.
    I'M RATHER DEFINATELY SURE FEMALE SPACE MARINES DEFINERTLEY DON'T EXIST.

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast